Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #256
Veteran Member

There's "easy" and then there's "easy"

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
With Pentax's experience, it really should be "easy" for them to produce a FF camera. It is no different from designing a APS-C camera - just in different specs. The main barrier is the budget and whether such a camera makes any economic sense for Hoya.

OTOH, Pentax would find it more challenging designing an EVIL/SLD camera. They would need to design a new lens mount, decide about backward compatibility, packaging and perfect the contrast AF system.
I think that nosnoop gets it right here. There's an everyday sense of "easy" in which no new camera design is easy to develop. None of us here could sit down and crank out even a modest update to one of Pentax's existing SLR bodies. OK, maybe Falconeye could, but I think I've made my point

That's not the relevant sense of "easy" though, is it? The relevant sense of "easy" is exactly the sense in which it is easy for Pentax to develop an incremental update to an existing line.

You might reasonably argue that neither a FF nor EVIL camera is "easy" to develop relative to this latter definition, but it seems clear that a FF camera has far more in common with Pentax's existing products than an EVIL product. Therefore, a FF camera would be easier to develop.

05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
OTOH, Pentax would find it more challenging designing an EVIL/SLD camera. They would need to design a new lens mount, decide about backward compatibility, packaging and perfect the contrast AF system.
Didn't Samsung manage this, with the NX10? How did they do it? And how did Pentax ever allow themselves to be upstaged by Samsung?

I don't know a lot about the NX10, except that it looks interesting - and apparently that doesn't have a K-mount.

Will
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Samsung finally managed to make their first non-point&shoot digital camera, and with this they "upstaged" Pentax?
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #259
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Samsung finally managed to make their first non-point&shoot digital camera, and with this they "upstaged" Pentax?
Boy, some of you guys are really defensive about Pentax!

"First non-point-and-shoot digital camera"? Don't we have a sub-forum here for Samsung digital SLRs? Was the GX20 a point and shoot? Or are you saying that Pentax made those for Samsung, and Samsung simply stuck its name on them?

Let me put it this way. Samsung used to be the company that made (or at least sold) the cheap versions of the DSLRs that Pentax was winning awards for. But since the NX10, I've read lots of news articles about Samsung's new cameraand I'm reading nothing about Pentax. In the theater, this is what we call "upstaging the star." It's not the same thing as "stealing the show," in other words, Pentax can come back strong. But at the moment, people are talking about the NX10 and nobody's talking much about the K-7. At least not in the dozen or so mags and web sites that I read regularly.

Actually the NX10 looks like a slightly underwhelming camera and I don't feel the slightest urge to run out and get one. (If it could use my Pentax lenses, I'd reconsider.) But it's novel and different. And in marketing terms, novel and different are worth a lot, perhaps even more than "better".

Will

05-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #260
Pentaxian

But we were talking about designing a camera from the ground up, not about selling a slightly altered version of an existing one. Samsung wasn't even making/assembling those, afaik the GX20 is made in Philippines by Pentax.
The K-7 is over an year old, so it's hardly news. The NX10 is "the new kid on the block", represents a new system - and it's even one of those much-hyped mirror-less cameras.
OTOH, it looks like at least the Japanese are not ignoring the newest Pentax camera - the 645D
05-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #261

And if people are not talking that much about K7, it's also because of the great success of Kx which is still a kind of hot topic, for people, press and even official Photo Associations (TIPA):
cf here: TIPA award and here: Kx review on Tom's Guide
05-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But we were talking about designing a camera from the ground up, not about selling a slightly altered version of an existing one.
Most Pentax DSLR's are not newly designed from ground up. The 645D was not designed ground up. It started as a K10D with large sensor, then it was shelved. The real thing is technically a K-7 with larger sensor. The prism and mirror system is from the film 645. The shutter is probably outsorced. This is why the 645D sells for half the price of the competition while being twice the camera. A Pentax FF camera will be built along similar principles.