Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #1

Interview with Hiroshi Onoda. Manager of Pentax Europe.

I think this interview has not been posted in the forum already.

Original (in Spanish, April 15th)

www.pentaxeros.com - Interview with Hiroshi Onoda

English translation with Babelfish

To summarize:

- The priority for Pentax right now is to complete the existing DSRL range as soon as possible.
- This year there will be updates of existing cameras, and some completely new models.
- There will be a professional camera above the K-7, but he cannot say when will be announced.
- When asked about when will be distributed the 645D worlwide, he says that they want to gather some experience in Japan before taking further steps.

By the way, HOLE is Hoya...

(Dear moderators, please remove this thread if this is already posted)

05-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

wow, maybe they will start to do some proper marketing eventually )
05-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The professional camera above K-7 will be FF.
05-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But that's, of course, just your opinion?

05-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You mean: I think the professional camera above K-7 will be FF

I think so too, but it may never happen...
05-03-2010, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But that's, of course, just your opinion?
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
You mean: I think the professional camera above K-7 will be FF
ogl always posts his personal opinion as if it were a law of nature.

If ths forum had a "post-rewrite feature" (as it does have a post-ignore feature), I would prepend all ogl posts by "I am not sure but I think that maybe "
05-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pro caliber K Mount will have Sony Sensor

Pro caliber K Mount will have Sony Sensor instead of Samsung made sensor.

I still like my old 6mp Samsung K Mounts, but even I recognize they are outfitted with... Sony made sensors.

I find it illuminating that Pentax needs to remind people theres another camera coming. As if we all thought they were done offering new cameras.

There will be NO full frame k mount dslr in the coming months or years.

Or do like ist*steve just did, trade out of all your Pentax for a D700 and some glass and achieve your full frame imaging goals

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-03-2010 at 06:13 AM.
05-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Google translation seems to be a bit better. Citing it:
QuoteQuote:
In that sense we choose if we want to bet on consumer products or by products of higher quality but for a more limited market.
Right now our strategic priority is to complete as soon as possible range of Pentax SLR.
Many users of Pentax are calling for a long time for a professional camera above the K-7 ... Will we see something in the not too distant?
The answer is yes, although I can not predict when.
We are preparing the successor models of the current range and new models. But I can not anticipate much more at this time.
I don't know what to think about the consumer products comment. Is it about P&S vs. SLR? Maybe it only means to concentrate on SLRs. This would match with the "complete range of Pentax SLR" comment.

I find it noteworthy that he refers to SLR, not system cameras.

Above K-7 may or may not imply FF. However, successor models of the current range and new models amy imply that the forthcoming model above K-7 is not considered its successor model.

In summary IMHO, there is 2:1 evidence he mentioned a camera above APS-C.
05-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I think there will be NO full frame k mount dslr in the coming months or years.
Let's fix it all
05-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #10

i call for a K-7 trade in program if you bought your model within the past 2 months!
05-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The Google translation seems to be a bit better. Citing it:

I don't know what to think about the consumer products comment. Is it about P&S vs. SLR? Maybe it only means to concentrate on SLRs. This would match with the "complete range of Pentax SLR" comment.

I find it noteworthy that he refers to SLR, not system cameras.

Above K-7 may or may not imply FF. However, successor models of the current range and new models amy imply that the forthcoming model above K-7 is not considered its successor model.

In summary IMHO, there is 2:1 evidence he mentioned a camera above APS-C.
I think that the whole interview refers to DSRL.

With consumer products I think he is not talking about DSRL or P&S, but about the quality of the whole line of products.

If I understand the interview correctly I think it is safe to assume that there will be at least two new models this year that won't be the successors of the existing models.
I think that there are three possibilities for the new cameras: one below the K-x, one between the K-x and the K-7 and one above the K-7. In my opinion, one of them could be the rumored K-5 and the other could be the professional camera above the K-7 (FF, I hope).
I don´t think there should be a camera below the K-x, although with Pentax you never know...

The professional camera seems also linked with their experience with the 645D, as they want to gather information from the pros in order to launch a professional APSC or FF camera.

I also believe that Samsungian would be the first to buy a professional camera made by Pentax!
05-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nope, No 645D for me

Nope, No 645D for me. 645D is Pentax only professional digital camera, so far.
$9400 for a camera is crazy money in my world.

A sony sensor installed in a K-7 with dual card slots would be better for Pentax owners, but not me. K-7 is too small for me.

But this K-7 Super would make most everyone who bought a samsung sensor'd K-7 buy another new Pentax camera. Maybe price it at where Nikon started their D300s at.

QuoteOriginally posted by Turo Quote

I also believe that Samsungian would be the first to buy a professional camera made by Pentax!
05-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
But this K-7 Super would make most everyone who bought a samsung sensor'd K-7 buy another new Pentax camera.
Why?
05-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about that? ... a new professional DSLR?
As far a I am concerned, my gear presently suits me just fine but of course it would be interesting to see a "pro" level DSLR from Pentax, and not necessarily an FF. Other brands have pro-cameras in APS-C and that is maybe what Pentax is planning?
As far as FF goes, if Hiroshi Onoda mentions that "The priority for Pentax right now is to complete the existing DSRL range as soon as possible" , why would they then go FF?

JP
05-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #15

"A professional camera above the k-7" leaves little doubt in my eyes: he's talking about a FF camera. If there were no plan for FF, the answer would have been something like "we just released the 645D, it's coming to Europe soon and more 645 cameras will come in the future"...