Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I've tested the G1 and GF1, and they were quick enough but nowhere near my K-7 or even in the same state as my D700 (which uses the same focusing motor as the D300, iirc).

Just some other subjective impressions...

05-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's no surprise actually. Supposedly Canon is moving to all EVF cameras...no more mirror box for their DSLRs at all...
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once most, if not all, of the camera companies are into making EVILs (which is close to coming) then the novelty wears off and cameras won't sell simply because they are EVILs (already the NX-10 has not attracted nearly as much buzz). But if Pentax does it right, it could be a good way to help build the brand.
05-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
Well according to what I tested, the BEST Contrast Detection AF (on Micro 4/3, G1) was about as good as Phase Detection AF used in DSLRs.
If nothing else it's the only one which can be used with the mirror up (?) so that makes it easier to decide .. Also with the Panasonic cameras you can have continues auto-focus during filming I think, which must be way better than half-pressing the shutter of the 550D to make it search for focus ..

I forgot one EVF advantage more, I assume the possibility of having it switch over to an enlarged view as soon as one touch the focus ring would be yet another advantage? Seeing how people complain that todays viewfinders don't work as good for manual focus as the old ones.
The worst Contrast Detection AF(on Micro 4/3, E-P1) was much worse than Phase Detection AF used in DSLRs.
That's a fact and the reason Panasonic sell their cameras I guess. The olympus got in-house image stabilization but the Panasonic focus much quicker. And of those two I'd choose the Panasonic. It also have a mode to show of actual motion blur from the shutter speed in question which may not be that useful but quite cool anyway =P
Now the tests weren't "lab controlled", but these were the results I got. Take them or leave them!
The speed difference is well-known. How it compare to other DSLRs I have no idea but I assume the dpreviews of the Panasonic cameras will tell.

Is focus usually affected by changing focal length? Because I assume if you zoom during filming you don't want to have to try to compensate the focus manually at the same time.

05-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #35

I wouldn't say phase detection is worse than contrast detection. The best contrast detection (in the Panasonic G1, GH1, GF1 and G2) is very good. However, clearly not all contrast detection AF is good, but most phase detection AF is good.

The best EVF are good for what they are, but in low light, they have a slow refresh rate. Mind you, in low light OVF are just dark!!!

So my point of view is that the best contrast detection AF is ready to tackle the phase detection AF. But while very good, the best EVF have a little more to go.
But if you accept darkness I assume one can up the refresh rate on the EVF by accepting less light and darker image there to? =P
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Speed is one thing. Accuracy another.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: 12. Performance & IS: Digital Photography Review
"auto focus speed is at least as good as an entry level digital SLR."

"Autofocus speed / accuracy The Panasonic GH1's Auto Focus is, together with the G1's, certainly the best contrast detect AF we have come across so far. It performs very well in almost any condition and only in the darkest lighting situations will it need the built-in AF illuminator to find a focus-lock. As you would expect the AF slows down a little in dim light but it's still well within acceptable limits and at least on par with most entry level DSLRs.
Focus accuracy was not an issue in any of our several hundred sample shots, the focus indicator works almost 100% reliably."

(The kit-lens on that one however is 14-140/4.0-5.8)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: 30. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review
"
  • Fast contrast detect Auto Focus (on par with entry level DSLRs), movable AF area and tracking
  • Very usable manual focus magnification"
05-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That's no surprise actually. Supposedly Canon is moving to all EVF cameras...no more mirror box for their DSLRs at all...
Source?
Or are you joking?
And if they do will they keep the size and glass or change it?

Edit: I think I read some speculation/rumor regarding specs of the 50D upgrade mentioning how there was one more thing to it, maybe it's the hybrid viewfinder mentioned in this patent? http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100103305.pdf
Looks like pentaprismreplacement for "bunch-of-prismas" with displays/lights/whatever beaming information into the viewfinder. Maybe it's cool, but I guess the use of mirror and optical light from the glass may hinder some features.

Last edited by aliquis; 05-07-2010 at 12:10 PM.
05-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just imagine a weatherproof EVIL Pentax based on the K-x with a fully functioning adapter for the Limited Primes plus a new set of WR pancakes designed for the shorter registration distance. That camera would never leave my side...

05-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Once most, if not all, of the camera companies are into making EVILs (which is close to coming) then the novelty wears off and cameras won't sell simply because they are EVILs (already the NX-10 has not attracted nearly as much buzz). But if Pentax does it right, it could be a good way to help build the brand.
But in the case of the Panasonics they seem to have looked at what they got and tried to figure out what the advantages may have been and taken advantages of it.

Rather than just decided that "hey, those point-and-shoot camera buyers really like looking at the display" and slap some live-view with poor focus or screen blackout in there.

Also I assume that companies into digital video cameras can take advantage of some lessons learned from that area.
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #40
Site Supporter

EVIL cam cannot handel lens bigger than 200mm, juts imagine how stupid that cam will look on giant tele lens, it's to small. Than battery life; big DSLR bodes have room for big battery, plus half of power is not going to electronic viewfinder and camera mustn't always on be on. How many times you first were looking in classical viewfinder and then turn on cam?
05-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
Source?
Or are you joking?
And if they do will they keep the size and glass or change it?
No, not joking. I was told that by a canon "explorer of light"...he heard it from his canon contact.
No clue on the technical changes but since Canon seems to throw away their mount systems all the time, their users will probably just shrug it off
05-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
EVIL cam cannot handel lens bigger than 200mm, juts imagine how stupid that cam will look on giant tele lens, it's to small.
?????

This is just plain silly. Of course EVIL cameras can handle lenses bigger than 200mm.

Who cares what it looks like if you can get the shot??
05-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Once most, if not all, of the camera companies are into making EVILs (which is close to coming) then the novelty wears off and cameras won't sell simply because they are EVILs (already the NX-10 has not attracted nearly as much buzz).
I disagree.

10 years ago, most film SLR users would not have contemplated that within 10 years, DSLR camera sales would exceed film SLR sales. That happened in 5 years.

In 10 years time, I think that MOST interchangeable lens cameras sold will have no mirror box.
05-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #44
Site Supporter

?????

This is just plain silly. Of course EVIL cameras can handle lenses bigger than 200mm.

Who cares what it looks like if you can get the shot??
ever heard about contrabalance? Did u see in panasonic line of lenses any biger than 200mm and there won't be any, EVIL is realy can't work with them, try to focus or zoom manaly with DA* 60-250 with a live view mode with out tripod.
05-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
ever heard about contrabalance? Did u see in panasonic line of lenses any biger than 200mm and there won't be any, EVIL is realy can't work with them, try to focus or zoom manaly with DA* 60-250 with a live view mode with out tripod.
Use an Olympus E-P1 with the Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm f/4-5.6 with the Olympus 4/3 - micro 4/3 adapter, and it will AF and meter. Case proven.

I use lenses up to 300mm with the Panasonic G1. I can manually focus. I can zoom. Without tripod.