Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You may think that it is easier to implement fast contrast AF in a MILC than an SLR. Well, I don't think this. Which is a reason why I came back on nosnoop's proposition that special lenses are (always) needed.
We will know the answer to that soon enough - when next generations of DSLR are launched.

I personally think you need a combination of both, the body's AF algorithm and the lens design to achieve the fastest speed.

For DSLR, I won't be surprised that they may produce some "video zoom lens" specifically for fast Contrast AF and continuous silent AF during video shooting in the future.

05-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #77

The Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras already have fast Contrast AF.
05-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
The Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras already have fast Contrast AF.
Now I haven't read the posts before except on this page so this may be totally unnecessary but the guy above atleast mean the old glass/mounts, the once for the panasonic is already built with cdf in mind.

Edit2: Don't know what it was an answer for but if it's seen as a proof that lens design is everything and that normal DSLRs can't do it as fast then the Olympus got new lenses to and isn't as fast .. so ...
Personally I think DSLRs are slow mostly because live-view was thrown on as a gimmick for P&S:ers and not considered something which they wanted to spend lots of research in. If the mirror goes and they add an EVF then they will have no other option and if there's a will the progress will go much quicker.

Last edited by aliquis; 05-14-2010 at 05:51 AM.
05-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What I meant is ...

Sony can now make a SLR without the second sensor. It would still have a mirror as otherwise, wouldn't be an SLR but the NEX. There aren't any SLRs with fast contrast AF. Sony may be the first to make one. In some situations, it may be a desirable thing to have.

The sensor (size) plays a r˘le too. For excellent contrast AF performance, you better continuously read as many pixels as possible and this creates more heat with a larger sensor. Reading only a subset of pixels deteriorates AF performance except if the AF algorithm zooms onto a region of interest during focus. AFAIK, no APSC sensor in current SLRs can be programmed to do this. Not sure about LiveMOS here.

I may not get what you are saying though. You may think that it is easier to implement fast contrast AF in a MILC than an SLR. Well, I don't think this. Which is a reason why I came back on nosnoop's proposition that special lenses are (always) needed.
Ok, insightful and beliveable for it all. How the AF-algoritms/motors in lenses work and how one can use them I have no idea of so

From the little I've read about them in normal DSLRs it atleast seem like they can be different .

All I want to know is if it's stupid to buy into current tech or not.

I don't wanna wait 4 years to get a decent range of glass but I also don't want to buy things which will be outdated immidiatly. I assume the old glass may have merit if shorter flange distance really lower image quality and if people still prefer to more heafty apperance, weight and such on the bigger houses.

Though if the old lenses AF/electronics don't work well with the new systems then that's yet another risk =P

But I would probably had been fine with manual focus to, except for filming I think since it may be annoying as soon as something moves =P

05-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Well, nothing really substantial in the interview - other than a hint to that the engineers wants to make a mirrorless camera, and why not? Engineers like challenges.
But that Pentax (Hoya) has not yet decided if they would make one.
This suggests that there are prototypes, but the engineers has not yet got the final word about making it production ready.
Hoya has not decided yet if this is the way to go. Can it sell enough to be profitable?
And what about lenses?
Engineers wants many things, but usually few of those engineering-dreams are made into a saleable product.

About "big things this year". The chief over Pentax Europe has confirmed new cameras coming this year, and it seems to be at least three DSLR's so that is quite many. (updates to K-7, K-x and a new model in-between).

If Pentax goes mirrorless, then I believe this is the last update for the entry level APS-C DSLR segment for Pentax and the future APS-C will concentrate on enthusiast to pro market, leaving the mirrorless for the entry level to bridge the gap between p&s and DSLR's.

And then we have this thing about lenses...
Well, since Pentax hasn't released any new K-mount lens for a while (the DFA 100 WR being an exterior update, same optics as before), they could switch to micro K-mount development. This means no more new K-mount lenses from Pentax, only micro K-mount.

They doesn't have the r&d and production to support many different lens mounts, not alone. They need partners!
They don't _HAVE TO_ create a compact MILC.

They can just release a regular k-x sized DSLR-looking camera with no mirror, contrast-detect focus and an EVF. Less moving parts and would work better for movies and require no new lenses (unless they are needed to make CDF faster but in that case one could just release ONE zoom which work quicker with that system for those interested.)

For partners they could partner with Samsung.

Or in a perfect world Nikon and Canon would cooperate and make a standard which everyone could use.