Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AP article: Pentax won't rule out mirrorless cameras

Short article, interesting quotes.

QuoteQuote:
Sanderson said 2010 promises to be a big year for Pentax. He told us: 'We are looking to grow. We want to grow. It's going to be an exciting year. I think everybody will see a change in Pentax.'
Pentax won’t rule out mirrorless camera news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

05-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hum, that did not reveal a thing.

I wonder if the changed Pentax will also include change in its: marketing strategy, distribution approach, and pricing strategy.

- Bert
05-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Voe
Veteran Member

The only two changes I want from Pentax is a FF camera with up to standard autofocus system ala Nikon or Canon. I'm sick of missing street photography shots due to focus hunting and misfocusing. I would have switched to Nikon if it wasn't for the Pentax Limiteds.
05-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Hum, that did not reveal a thing.

I wonder if the changed Pentax will also include change in its: marketing strategy, distribution approach, and pricing strategy.

- Bert
It revealed that Pentax is working on something big for this year. I haven't heard an indication of that yet in any other article.

It also was the closest that I've seen a Pentax rep come to confirming they are going to make an EVIL camera of some sort, even if he only confirmed it to the extent that he said Pentax Japan might be open to the idea.

Full of vagueness, sure, but what else were you expecting, prices and release dates?

05-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Whether or not everybody likes it or not, the smaller, mirrorless cameras are the future. Of course Pentax is considering them, along with every other camera manufacturer. It isn't if, it's when.
05-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
The only two changes I want from Pentax is a FF camera with up to standard autofocus system ala Nikon or Canon. I'm sick of missing street photography shots due to focus hunting and misfocusing. I would have switched to Nikon if it wasn't for the Pentax Limiteds.
I don't really need an EVIL camera either, I mostly just posted the link because I know other people are interested.

I'd switch to Nikon D700 and that new 24 f/1.4 they released (and the rumored 85 f/1.4 to come)...if only I had $6,000+ available to do so.
05-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think pentax will role out that "in optical viewfinder digital preview" that they patented years ago.

05-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
I think pentax will role out that "in optical viewfinder digital preview" that they patented years ago.
That would certainly fit the "we want to be different" hinting they've been doing lately.
05-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Other possibility that they will make a FF DSLR with moving back and forward sensor to change from FF to APS-C
05-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax being Pentax, they will present a bulky EVIL FF camera, with extra-slow contrast detect AF.
05-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Other possibility that they will make a FF DSLR with moving back and forward sensor to change from FF to APS-C
The difference between FF and APS-C is area of sensor, not register distance.
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Whether or not everybody likes it or not, the smaller, mirrorless cameras are the future. Of course Pentax is considering them, along with every other camera manufacturer. It isn't if, it's when.
You, sir, are correct.

05-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In other news, I have not ruled out dating supermodels.

There is a very, very, long way between 'not ruling out' something, and actually having a product to deliver.

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Pentax being Pentax, they will present a bulky EVIL FF camera, with extra-slow contrast detect AF.
I've been shouting from the rooftops that an EVIL mini-K-x would be brilliant, FF or not. Why? Because the one huge thing it would do is put lots of legacy glass on small(ish) EVILs, today. Without adapters, how many native lenses exist for m43? For NX? A K mount EVIL wouldn't be the smallest thing going (but honestly a K-x minus the prism hump wouldn't be that big), however it would spring to life fully supported, which would seize a certain amount of the initiative. And for existing Pentax users, it would maintain the focus and economy of a single lens mount, which would be worth it for a lot of people..
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I believe if Pentax want to sell more cameras, they can do three things:

1-keep improving the Kx and K7 lines, which are killer as they are
2-get their cameras on the shelves! Too many photo shops stock little or no Pentax cameras.
3-Educate the sales clercks. Give training, present the cameras, show the PPG to convince new clercks who might not know the brand. If they get excited about the products, they will sell them. Otherwise, they will continue to sell what they know : Canon.
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #15

Of course it won't.

Anyone would be stupid to rule it out, and some goes for video.

The questions is if/then, not if it's a bad idea or not

The thing I wonder though is:
* To make a camera with decent video and in this case without a mirror you need fast contrast-detect focus? Right?
* And when you got fast enough contract-detect focus why should you keep the mirror and the pentaprism?
* And if you throw them out will you really want to keep the current line of lenses and big frames? I assume not?

So.. If I buy into a system now will all the current gear be kinda outdated because the mirror and pentaprism and optical viewfinder system is dying?

Because there is a need for the specific distance between the lens and the sensor with or without mirror isn't it?

I like the specs of the Panasonic cameras but micro four-thirds atm gives longer DOF (and it will always be that way), glass is slow (compared to regular four-thirds), glass is quite mediocre (even the 20/1.7 isn't all that great uncorrected) and finally all of it is also expensive .. Will these be issues for all other systems going mirror less? I assume no-one want to keep current lenses/distances if going mirrorless?

So I guess I shouldn't be buying into it. I need/want to choose system but I'm not convinced where to go really.