Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by psdigital Quote
Just a thought though...If they make a FF camera, won't they have to make a new line of lenses? Are the lenses that they have now made for FF also? If they have to make a new line of glass, we probably won't see a FF camera for a while.
FA = Full-format:
Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
smc PENTAX FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
smc PENTAX FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4
smc PENTAX FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
D FA = Designed for digital but compatible with full-format:
Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
smc PENTAX D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
smc PENTAX D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR

So yeah, weak on zooms, on the other hand it's not that weird that they don't have much full-format glass when they have no camera =p.

Also since so many are co-developed with Tokina now maybe Tokina got some.

05-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
But the whole point of these bodies is IMHO compactness, so crazy wide max aperture is not that important. For extreme shallow DOF, use FF. A 50mm f/1.4 on FF is still better than a 25mm f/0.75 on m4/3, and is easier to focus manually than the 25mm on a VF-less body.

I think that a 28 mm wide mount on a small APS-C camera should be sufficiently wide to be able to make a 28mm f/1.4 normal lens. But more interesting on such a body would be a 28mm f/2 pancake.
That depends. For people who have heavily invested in DSLR already I assume _THEIR_ idea of the purpose of those cameras is to get something more pocketable but still capable.

However for new buyers it may be an alternative / option against DSLR, and then you may want to be able to get the same capabilities. I sure do.

I'd rather take fast glass than small size. If I wanted a small size which performed poorly then there's plenty of such cameras around already.
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 24
Thanks

Aliquis,
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know FA meant that. So Pentax is not as far behind in that area as I thought. A FF camera could be on the horizon. That would make me really consider switching. The only other thing was how stable is the company financially? Sounds like they are heading in the right direction.

I think most of Tokina's current line-up is for digital. I just bought a couple of Tokina's for my Sony. I bought the older 28-80 and 80-200. They are full frame PRO ATX and built really well but I think their newer lenses will probably control flare a little better than mine do. I hope they do come out with a few more. They are very nice lenses but very heavy. The only problem I am having is the flare but these were made for film, not digital. You have to expect some. I am having a slight back focus issue. That is another plus for the K-7. If I had it, I could correct the problem.
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
FA = Full-format:
Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
smc PENTAX FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
smc PENTAX FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4
smc PENTAX FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
D FA = Designed for digital but compatible with full-format:
Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
smc PENTAX D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
smc PENTAX D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR

So yeah, weak on zooms, on the other hand it's not that weird that they don't have much full-format glass when they have no camera =p.

Also since so many are co-developed with Tokina now maybe Tokina got some.

Yes these may be FA, however, on a digital FF sensor it is questionalble whether any of these optics would be sharp enough to max out the sensors capabilities.

Assuming no ghosting issues, the 43mm and perhaps the 31mm may make the transition. The others, probably not so readily.

Stephen

05-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by psdigital Quote
The only problem I am having is the flare but these were made for film, not digital.
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Yes these may be FA, however, on a digital FF sensor it is questionalble whether any of these optics would be sharp enough to max out the sensors capabilities.
k, I have no idea there , only had understood they had enough coverage.
05-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #21
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
QuoteQuote:
yes these may be fa, however, on a digital ff sensor it is questionalble whether any of these optics would be sharp enough to max out the sensors capabilities.
of course. No any doubts at all.
05-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Yes these may be FA, however, on a digital FF sensor it is questionalble whether any of these optics would be sharp enough to max out the sensors capabilities.
I don't think that the current line of FA lenses would have too much problem with keeping up with the resolution at the center of the lens. Where I guess that they will have issues are at the corners where most of the vignetting and distortions occur.
05-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #23
Tan
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Hope, pentax will release FF soon

05-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
I don't think that the current line of FA lenses would have too much problem with keeping up with the resolution at the center of the lens. Where I guess that they will have issues are at the corners where most of the vignetting and distortions occur.

+1 on that, I have used the FA limited lenses on b&w film(T-max) for a few years now and I have no doubt that they will be able to handle FF digital sensors. the FA31 delivering the highest resolution I have ever seen in it's focal length class.
05-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #25
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I want to get the wife a K-X to replace her K100D so I can turn it into a full time IR Camera, but she says to wait till they announce a K-X WR camera.
Hope they will do that this year. If not I'll give her my K-7 and get the new camera they come out with.
Turn it into an IR before you give her a new one and see if she notices!
05-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
There will be three bodies this year.
1) "K-7 Super" at the end of the may - beginning of june.
2) K-5 - cam between K-x and K-7. Sort of K200D upgrade with K-x features
3) FF cam at the end of the year, after Fotokina.

Sorry,nope
05-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Between and Higher
Much better
05-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #28
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
That depends. For people who have heavily invested in DSLR already I assume _THEIR_ idea of the purpose of those cameras is to get something more pocketable but still capable.

However for new buyers it may be an alternative / option against DSLR, and then you may want to be able to get the same capabilities. I sure do.

I'd rather take fast glass than small size. If I wanted a small size which performed poorly then there's plenty of such cameras around already.
You're missing my point. If you scale a FF camera by the aps-c crop factor, you get approximately 28 mm flange distance and 28 mm mount diameter. So 1.4 lenses should be no problem. You just won't get the exotic 1.0 and below lenses, but they're IMHO irrelevant from the marketing perspective.
05-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Ok call me stupid but...

Still scratchin my head about what happened to the K20D I bought? It's a wicked good, rugged built, great performing piece of equipment. A great value billed as a competitor for one of those mid to higher-end Nikon and Canons. But was only around for what maybe a year? From a marketing standpoint it seem that to discontinue this model so quickly when it was gettin some great reviews.. did not make sense to me. Then replace it almost immediately with two others models which one was more expensive and aside from the video was not much of a upgrade IMO...or the other way with a new entry level camera....(sort of like puttin your summer tires back on in April don't make sense) They must of had all 3 on the kitchen table bout the same time by jezzum crow.
kinda feel like right now I have a camera that if I wanted to trade her in...I would have to look at one of them there Nikon or Cannons.
Can anyone explain this one to me?
By the way May 9th and it's spittin snow out side as I type this...still got my snow tires on
05-09-2010, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by VTPentax Quote
Still scratchin my head about what happened to the K20D I bought? It's a wicked good, rugged built, great performing piece of equipment. A great value billed as a competitor for one of those mid to higher-end Nikon and Canons. But was only around for what maybe a year? From a marketing standpoint it seem that to discontinue this model so quickly when it was gettin some great reviews.. did not make sense to me. Then replace it almost immediately with two others models which one was more expensive and aside from the video was not much of a upgrade IMO...or the other way with a new entry level camera....(sort of like puttin your summer tires back on in April don't make sense) They must of had all 3 on the kitchen table bout the same time by jezzum crow.
kinda feel like right now I have a camera that if I wanted to trade her in...I would have to look at one of them there Nikon or Cannons.
Can anyone explain this one to me?
Your initial points (first, the K20D was a good camera, and second, the K-7 is an incremental improvement on that) are at odds with your conclusion (Pentax should have an even better camera right now!).

Don't worry -- the new models will come along soon enough, complete with plenty of disappointment they aren't earth-shatteringly better than the K-7 and K-x.

And, while we're on the subject, let's not forget the things one gets going from K20D to K-7 in addition to the video you mention:
  • smaller, tougher body with impressive ergonomics
  • better in-camera processing (including high dynamic range tricks)
  • AF assist lamp
  • 77-segment metering system
  • 100% viewfinder!
  • color-temp-aware AF
  • faster, much quieter shutter
  • much-increased continuous shooting (remember the whining about that? I sure do!)
  • horizon-correction
  • much-improved rear LCD
  • new, better quick access to menu-based controls
  • better control of pattern noise from the sensor
  • way better automatic white balance

And there's more little things too. Maybe no one improvement is earth-shattering, but altogether I don't think it's fair to say that it's "not much of an upgrade".
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k7, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Flagship Camera SF1 SF-1 Body with Body Cap, Battery, and Original Manu yyyzzz Sold Items 6 03-15-2010 11:54 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax F 70-210mm 4-5.6 and Pentax F 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 Macro and SF1 camera Body jjdgti Sold Items 5 12-30-2009 12:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Pentax SF7-body / AF400FTZ / 3 Pentax-F lenses / GENUINE Pentax-accessori frederik9111 Sold Items 7 03-23-2008 03:00 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Pentax K1000 (Body only)+body cap+leather case+ strap Not Registered Sold Items 3 11-02-2007 07:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top