Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax body?

I've read different suggestions to what might come or be announced later this year.

Is it to be a model between the K-x and K7? Or higher spec'd than the K7?

Thanks
Ben

05-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LuzArt Quote
I've read different suggestions to what might come or be announced later this year.

Is it to be a model between the K-x and K7? Or higher spec'd than the K7?

Thanks
Ben
Between and Higher
05-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Two bodies or an amalgam of the K-x and K7?
05-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There will be three bodies this year.
1) "K-7 Super" at the end of the may - beginning of june.
2) K-5 - cam between K-x and K-7. Sort of K200D upgrade with K-x features
3) FF cam at the end of the year, after Fotokina.

05-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

New SLR may be any price range for me 2 things are essential:
1. Weather Sealing
2. Top info Panel
05-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #6

oh please let the k5 be true... then i'll buy it when its replacement comes!
05-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by LuzArt Quote
Two bodies or an amalgam of the K-x and K7?
I assume one can be reasonable sure there will be updates, at some time.

And most likely the cameras won't be crappier ;D

And since k-x is newer and it don't make sense to make a low-end update which is better than the current high-end model I think it's reasonable to expect that the K7 gets updated first and that the k-x gets updated at some time to.

Or if they decide to go full-frame format as some people want and/or evil those would be added to, and maybe then they decide they only need one DSLR for all legacy and current products.

Personally I think it's stupid to just invent a whole bunch of new lens mounts from each and every manufacturer for the evil cameras so I hope it will be compatible with something else if they go that route, and eventually just sit and wait and see how things develop before they pick a direction.

05-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

At the moment your guess is as good as mine (though I think my goldfish may have some inside information).

Hoya appears to have very good internal controls on leaks. Based on the last couple of releases I don't think we will see any announcements until the produce is ready to ship.

This is two fold.

- It allows the initial excitement of an announcement to be translated into more sales at a higher initial price and more profit (good).

- And two it limits the loss of sales of the old model where people put off buying it because that know for sure that there is a new model.

Just look at the apple iPhone 4 fiasco. Hoya appears to me as a much more savvy company than Pentax under its own management ever was.
05-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
Personally I think it's stupid to just invent a whole bunch of new lens mounts from each and every manufacturer for the evil cameras so I hope it will be compatible with something else if they go that route, and eventually just sit and wait and see how things develop before they pick a direction.
As I pointed out in a different thread, the nx10 and m43 mounts are remarkably large. This puts restrictions on future miniaturization. So I really hope they make their own and much smaller mount if they choose to make a mirrorless camera.
05-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the M43 and Nx10 mounts are large indeed. but it also means they can make faster lenses for them. Though of course a 25mm f/0.75 would command a rather high price tag, and such a lens would prove irksome for Leica who currently hold the high speed champion the Noctilux 50mm f/0.95
05-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to get the wife a K-X to replace her K100D so I can turn it into a full time IR Camera, but she says to wait till they announce a K-X WR camera.
Hope they will do that this year. If not I'll give her my K-7 and get the new camera they come out with.
05-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #12

I hope they do upgrade the K-7

That is the one I am waiting on. I switched to Sony and although I am happy with the camera I bought, I am sort of puzzled by their new releases. I switched from Fuji/Nikon. Fuji stopped making pro cameras at least for now. It seems like Sony keeps removing features on every new camera that comes out so I have my eye on Pentax. I haven't really invested a lot in Sony yet so I can change rather easily. I was going to buy a k-7 but this talk of a sucessor has made me wait. It will be interesting to see what Pentax and Sony both have later this year. The only reason I am looking at those two is the in camera stabilization. My guess will be the Pentax will be the better of the two. Weather resistant camera and the prime lens line up are just two of the things that I like. I am hoping the high ISO noise gets corrected and the video ends up being more like Canon's video with the different speeds available. I would also like a bigger camera than the K-7. It is a little small for my hands. Other than that, the K-7 is already a great camera. I have a feeling they will gain several Sony users soon if Sony stays on the same path they are on now. If Pentax comes out with a FF camera, I know some of them will switch. I will be one of them for sure.

Just a thought though...If they make a FF camera, won't they have to make a new line of lenses? Are the lenses that they have now made for FF also? If they have to make a new line of glass, we probably won't see a FF camera for a while.

Last edited by psdigital; 05-08-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Thought about FF lens lineup
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
I assume one can be reasonable sure there will be updates, at some time.

And most likely the cameras won't be crappier ;D

And since k-x is newer and it don't make sense to make a low-end update which is better than the current high-end model I think it's reasonable to expect that the K7 gets updated first and that the k-x gets updated at some time to.

Or if they decide to go full-frame format as some people want and/or evil those would be added to, and maybe then they decide they only need one DSLR for all legacy and current products.

aliquis,
I think you nailed it.

I don't think Pentax has ever brought out 3 cameras in one year: so its just the 645D and the K7 Super this year, and then the Kx upgrade in 2011 + an EVILl camera along the lines you are suggesting.
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the M43 and Nx10 mounts are large indeed. but it also means they can make faster lenses for them. Though of course a 25mm f/0.75 would command a rather high price tag, and such a lens would prove irksome for Leica who currently hold the high speed champion the Noctilux 50mm f/0.95
But the whole point of these bodies is IMHO compactness, so crazy wide max aperture is not that important. For extreme shallow DOF, use FF. A 50mm f/1.4 on FF is still better than a 25mm f/0.75 on m4/3, and is easier to focus manually than the 25mm on a VF-less body.

I think that a 28 mm wide mount on a small APS-C camera should be sufficiently wide to be able to make a 28mm f/1.4 normal lens. But more interesting on such a body would be a 28mm f/2 pancake.

Last edited by gazonk; 05-08-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
05-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think most of us know enough at this point to say what Pentax is going to do next. There has been an increase in chatter from official sources after a little dry spell, though, and that's usually an indication that something is on the horizon. With Pentax USA releasing their multiple colored Pentax k-x options recently, I'm going to make an educated guess that Pentax will try to get the most out of the K-7 and K-x at least over the spring and early summer months and maybe announce something during the late summer or fall. The K-x continues to sell well and the K-7 is doing OK, so why throw a wrench in things?

This would also allow them to focus all of their energy on getting their 645D release done right.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what they will come up with.