Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monthly bcnranking: K-x still selling well in Japan

- and is #7 in April at 5.9% in April - better rank but smaller share than in March (#8 at 6.5%):

GW??????????D90??????2010?4?????????????

Also noteworthy: The D90 jumps up into the first place. Good D90 offers in Japan now? And: The GF1 drops below the K-x in sales numbers. The only EVIL camera that sells better than the K-x is now the E-PL1.

05-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good to see. Very good to see.
06-14-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
- and is #7 in April at 5.9% in April - better rank but smaller share than in March (#8 at 6.5%)
Still going strong in Japan in May, still #7 and almost the same share (5.8% now):
???????????????????2010?5?????????????
06-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Still going strong in Japan in May, still #7 and almost the same share (5.8% now):
???????????????????2010?5?????????????
It also shows EVIL cameras are still selling very well.
The three in the top 10 accounts for 13.6% market share already, together with other bundles/variants below top 10, it could total 16 to 17% market share. And with Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 arriving, it could well push EVIL camera over 20% mark.

06-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It also shows EVIL cameras are still selling very well.
The three in the top 10 accounts for 13.6% market share already, together with other bundles/variants below top 10, it could total 16 to 17% market share. And with Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 arriving, it could well push EVIL camera over 20% mark.
Yes, I wanted to comment on the rise of the EVIL and NVF (No Viewfinder ) cameras, it's an interesting development. I see people with these cameras everywhere now, it's becoming part of fashion (just yesterday I saw a young Japanese woman with a white E-P1 which looked like it was chosen to match her clothes). It may be wise of Pentax to concentrate on this market segment before entering the much smaller FF segment. They're obviously very aware of the fashion part of this game, since the I-10 hits a similar nerve with its retro chick looks.

Maybe the multi-colored K-x was mainly created as a (quite clever) way to bridge the gap before they enter this market.
06-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just think that the kx is positioned at a level which is hard for CAnon/Nikon to match for the price. The biggest things they left out (ability for a grip and lack of autofocus points in the display) just don't really matter to entry level photographers. On the other hand, it includes an awful lot for the package. I just don't what they can do to follow it up (add weather sealing?).
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's been a great success for sure.
At Yodobashi Camera(huge electronics chain store) about a week or so ago, it was displayed as its number 3 SLR.

In Tokyo, at least, the K-x hit home with its targeted audience.
Took a huge gamble with the coloured bodies, but it has paid off.
06-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's very interesting in the Japan market is ho9w mid-level DSLR's take top spots, like the (old) D90 and the top-selling Canon model.

You then have the strong presence of budget DSLR's including the D500, 3000 (that it outsells the D5000 is interesting in itself), the EOS X3 and the K-x.

This tells me there is a hole in Pentax's line-up between the K-x and K-7.

Canikon *could* match the K-x for price, but choose not to. Their brand presence creates more upselling opportunities.

06-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I see the D90 as an equal to k-7. Just below k-7. I think people in here generally think too much of Pentax. I love Pentax, but I don't want to glorify them as something more then they are.

I think Nikon D5000 is slightly more camera then kx.

So think it's pretty much the same gap between D5000 and D90 as between k-x and k-7. The D90 is also older, I bet it would have beaten the k-7 if it came out at the same time.

All of those gaps makes sense to me. Canon got 550d which is pretty expensive compared to competition, same with 7D. Pentax has placed themselves with the k-x below 550d and k-7 between 550d and 7d. There's no room between k-x and k-7.

Nikon got a relatively small gap between d5000 and d90, both are pretty cheap but then there's the d300 above. Pentax got no room for a d300. I think Pentax cameras are placed between the cameras in competition. Only a very cheap dslr or a high spec camera like 7d would make sense talking aps-c.