Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe HD camcorder from pentax?

As yesterday sony announce HD camcorder with interchangeable lenses from there DSLR line via a mount adaptor, can we hope to get something like that from pentax?

05-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #2

I don´t understand why Pentax/Hoya would do such a thing. Sony is a video company, Pentax/Hoya isn't.

From a tech point of view it would be easy to make, as the Sony HD camcorder has the insides of a NEX but with a different format. I would be easy to make a camcorder with th insides of a K-x but what are the advantages?
05-12-2010, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
I don´t understand why Pentax/Hoya would do such a thing. Sony is a video company, Pentax/Hoya isn't.

From a tech point of view it would be easy to make, as the Sony HD camcorder has the insides of a NEX but with a different format. I would be easy to make a camcorder with th insides of a K-x but what are the advantages?
The advantage is that you can then sell it for several x000 and not x00. Simple as that,. reusing technology. They can even make it weather resistant......
05-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-x eats batteries so fast in video mode so it isn't good for video.
Than why not to make, especially when pentax very proud of theres Uncle Jack video

05-12-2010, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
As yesterday sony announce HD camcorder with interchangeable lenses from there DSLR line via a mount adaptor, can we hope to get something like that from pentax?
Hmm, Pentax has tried to make a hybrid of a P&S camera and camcorder before - the Optio MX4, but I don't know if that was a success?
05-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

No why would them?

I assume the old video-brands make them because they know video people are interested in DSLR video but want it their way.

Can't really see the purpose, easier to hold?

I'd rather take a camera design.
05-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think Pentax will try to break into the camcorder market. But it would be interesting if adapters were available to allow K mount lenses to be attached to the camcorders for Sony, Canon etc

05-12-2010, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
I don't think Pentax will try to break into the camcorder market. But it would be interesting if adapters were available to allow K mount lenses to be attached to the camcorders for Sony, Canon etc
This is exactly what i'm looking for. I started a search yesterday for a camera to be used making documentaries with my wife. To get to the interchangeable lens (and yes that includes the same companies SLR lenses) you're looking at around 3,000 bucks minimum. I was considering SLR video but I'm just not sure if its "there" yet. Plus something like the Sony fx7 or panasonic hmc150 + underwater housing (yes i'm looking to make those kind of movies ) for cheaper.

Another complaint i've found on film making forums is that the DSLR form is not the best for film making. My personal analogy would be this....consider a hammer. The hammer we know is great for its intended purpose. Now imagine a hammer that instead of having the hammer head at the end of the handle its in the middle. Yes, it would still work as a hammer but would be awkward and not as effective.

The real benefit of a camcorder is the incredible zoom. Imagine a Pentax camcorder with 3 1/3" sensors and the ability to use K mount lenses. The crop factor would give you incredible reach! Pentax has the R & D mostly done, couldn't hurt to try to shake things up? Doesn't even need to be 3 chip (the RED one isn't)

If Pentax made a professional looking (not handy cam) camcorder with high definition, good frame rates (at least 30p and 24p if not 60p), the ability to use K mount lenses and around 1500 to 2000 bucks I would be all over that. Imagine the image quality using already good lenses but only the center of them. Those old long primes would be incredibly valuable now. Also an underwater housing for around the same price as the camera =)

Perhaps a co-venture with samsung or sony? I don't think Pentax is ever likely to do so but its not such a bad idea. To be honest, I can't really think of a video camera that's been marketed as "rugged". Could appeal to people who want Pentax dslr's for their weather sealing. Plus another item that could bring in new customers who would also buy your lenses, how does that hurt?
05-12-2010, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #9

Not impossible, but unlikely.

Building a video camera from scratch is not that easy. And people would expect an interchangeable video camera from Pentax to offer constant AF (which requires contrast-detection AF on the sensor), continuous full HD video, and high quality codec like other manufacturers offer. Now all this means a LOT of electronics, something Hoya is not really specialized in.

Sony, Canon and Panasonic already have EXTENDED experience with video cameras (including HD video), so they already have the electronics basis available and only need to improve on these basis.

On the other way, Pentax, Sigma, Fujifilm, Olympus and Nikon have little or no experience in video cameras. For this reason, they'll need at least 5 years and lots of fundings to catch up with Sony, Canon and Pana, provided they try it on thier own. But if they can strike a partnership with a electronics company that has some experience in video cameras (JVC, Hitachi, Samsung, etc.), they could catch up much faster.

Anyway, in the future, the still camera and the video camera WILL merge into one hybrid camera (except for all but the higher end professional models).

Point & shoot cameras will become multi-function tools: MP3/video player, still/video camera, portable video game system, mobile vidphone/wireless internet browser, etc. The limits are endless. This evolution has already begun.

Photoshop CS7 for mobile devices on a wacom-enabled digicam/mobile phone, anyone?

It's only a matter of time and nothing will stop this. The only question remaining is "how much time before it happens?"

Pentax will have to follow the trend when this happens, or they'll disappear.
05-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
K-x eats batteries so fast in video mode so it isn't good for video.
Than why not to make, especially when pentax very proud of theres Uncle Jack video
So pretty much, you are saying that Pentax should develop a video camera because the K-x uses batteries too fast??

It might be better(and cheaper) just to improve battery life on Pentax DSLRs!!!!!
05-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax should tighten their camera business with what they do best, instead of diversify and do them all average or worse. I feel they were loss and did not know where to head in recent years.
05-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
So pretty much, you are saying that Pentax should develop a video camera because the K-x uses batteries too fast??

It might be better(and cheaper) just to improve battery life on Pentax DSLRs!!!!!
The problem is that batterys die because a lot of power in DSLR is used to keep mirow up, EVIL cams are unergonomical to hold when filming for long time, so sony couse the wright way to make a camcoder with lenses.
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
This is exactly what i'm looking for. I started a search yesterday for a camera to be used making documentaries with my wife. To get to the interchangeable lens (and yes that includes the same companies SLR lenses) you're looking at around 3,000 bucks minimum. I was considering SLR video but I'm just not sure if its "there" yet. Plus something like the Sony fx7 or panasonic hmc150 + underwater housing (yes i'm looking to make those kind of movies ) for cheaper.

Another complaint i've found on film making forums is that the DSLR form is not the best for film making. My personal analogy would be this....consider a hammer. The hammer we know is great for its intended purpose. Now imagine a hammer that instead of having the hammer head at the end of the handle its in the middle. Yes, it would still work as a hammer but would be awkward and not as effective.

The real benefit of a camcorder is the incredible zoom. Imagine a Pentax camcorder with 3 1/3" sensors and the ability to use K mount lenses. The crop factor would give you incredible reach! Pentax has the R & D mostly done, couldn't hurt to try to shake things up? Doesn't even need to be 3 chip (the RED one isn't)

If Pentax made a professional looking (not handy cam) camcorder with high definition, good frame rates (at least 30p and 24p if not 60p), the ability to use K mount lenses and around 1500 to 2000 bucks I would be all over that. Imagine the image quality using already good lenses but only the center of them. Those old long primes would be incredibly valuable now. Also an underwater housing for around the same price as the camera =)

Perhaps a co-venture with samsung or sony? I don't think Pentax is ever likely to do so but its not such a bad idea. To be honest, I can't really think of a video camera that's been marketed as "rugged". Could appeal to people who want Pentax dslr's for their weather sealing. Plus another item that could bring in new customers who would also buy your lenses, how does that hurt?
I don't know how the three sensor chips technology work but if the sensor is smaller / you only use the middle part of the lens then the DOF advantage get lost, you still get big and expensive glass and well.. What would the purpose be by then?

The thing which make video people like DSLR video is the possibility of getting short DOF for a small amount of money.

I don't know what the 3000 bucks was about, the price of a dedicated video camera which took camera glass? Or the price of "a full set" of lenses?
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Building a video camera from scratch is not that easy....Pentax, Sigma, Fujifilm, Olympus and Nikon have little or no experience in video cameras. For this reason, they'll need at least 5 years and lots of fundings to catch up with Sony, Canon and Pana, provided they try it on thier own.
Come on, you are not serious? 5 years? 5 years is an eternity in electronics world!

Though I won't say it is a trivial task, but video camera is not all that different from digital camera! All the basic building blocks are already there. They already have plenty of experience in things like contrast AF. And video codec should not be a problem - there are plenty of 3rd party image processing chip set available or they can build their own.

I don't think there is any "catch up" to do at all. They can easily produce a consumer HD camcorder within a year if they want to. It's just a matter whether they perceive there is market or demand. I personally don't think they would go into the camcorder market, mainly due to the lack of brand name recognition (and not due to the lack of technical know how). They would continue to go with evolving video capability of digital camera route.
05-13-2010, 03:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't understand. Why should Pentax divert their limited resources in order to enter the camcorder market? Why should they postpone their DSLR plans, for a camcorder? Isn't there anything left to do, for the K-mount system? Like a "K-7n" with better high-ISO performance, or a "K-xII" with superimposed AF points...
Sorry, but IMHO they must concentrate on their core business. IMHO they must build on the K-7&K-x success - as fast as they can. That's their source of income, their only way of remaining profitable.