Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Pentax is simply not big enough to support exotic lenses like a 600mm f4. If you're certain you need that level of performance, just switch already, cause Pentax is not the brand for you. I'm sure Nikon would be more than happy to take your $15,000 for a D3s + 600mm f4. Want a 300mm f/2.8 to go with that? Sure, that's just another $5000. Oh, and maybe a 70-200mm? No problem, that's only $2200!

Last edited by EricT; 05-14-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #62

I think people just want them to focus on building better cameras instead of just painting the current ones crazy colors and calling it a day.
05-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kazy Quote
I think people just want them to focus on building better cameras instead of just painting the current ones crazy colors and calling it a day.
And why can't you do both? This is a product of marketing department, and it does not involve any R&D at all. How could this impact in any way about building better cameras?
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hahaha... apparently the Japanese is much open minded - that is why 100 color k-x not offer in US.

It's funny to see people mad about this, there is no one forcing you to buy one of these camera. If you don't like colorful k-x, just get a black k-x. I think the marketing slogan of Pentax is 'be interesting', right?

btw, it is not easy to piece together so many colors in one camera and not repeating...

I would buy one if I have the extra money.

05-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

*snip*

I would buy one if I have the extra money.
I would too, but unfortunately for the VAST majority of us there is no such thing as "extra money"

NaCl(I'm happy enough to have a bit of check left over at the end of the week instead of week left over at the end of the check)H2O
05-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want one!!!
05-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I want one!!!
Yea and hooray! another geezer...er...mature photog for wild and wacky colors! And this one is a paid professional!

NaCl(you realize Ben, that you cannot no longer be described as a SERIOUS photographer?)H2O
05-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #68
Pentaxian

What peoples will say if Nikon or Canon come with a colorfull camera for their entry level. Some will say bright idea and they will increase their sales. Pentax have just open a niche market where the others have not done yet. Apple have done exactly the same with IPod & ITouch.

Pentax is offering choice and peoples choose between them. If they do not sell well, Pentax will not produce them

05-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #69
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
NaCl(you realize Ben, that you cannot no longer be described as a SERIOUS photographer?)H2O
I'm glad you're getting some mileage out of this, and I was able to give you some new material for you repertoire.

It's funny, I was browsing B&H and found they had a Sigma 500mm F4.5 in stock. Within my price range, but, after this kind of stuff, I think I'm going to take a pass.

I'm glad you are having fun at my expense, and am thrilled that I was able to amuse you for a short time. Or a long drawn out time, as the case may be.

Last edited by Al_in_the_Shire; 05-17-2010 at 07:00 AM.
05-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It may cut down on the risk of being robbed. When the mugger stopped to laugh, you could make a run for it.
Just in case you did have to hand the camera over to the mugger, you'd be hard pressed to describe it when you make a police report.... "err officer, the camera looks like... err, err, I dunno how to describe... it's kinda colorful..."

This model is good for people who have a problem choosing colors...
05-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #71
Nubi

What the hell. I think I am going to try to get one when I go to Tokyo next month.
05-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
What the hell. I think I am going to try to get one when I go to Tokyo next month.
Can you buy one for me too? Just stop by Singapore when you are on the way back to where you from
05-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
And why can't you do both? This is a product of marketing department, and it does not involve any R&D at all. How could this impact in any way about building better cameras?
Aye.

Here's what the coloured K-xes mean for Pentax: free money.
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, it can impact the development of other cameras. If Pentax can generate additional marketing buzz and sell more cameras with very little investment in time or money, that could lead to more profits, which in turn can fuel the R&D of other cameras.

If you look at the pictures and preview video of the 645D, you can see that it's a very serious piece of hardware. Both it and the K-x in its many colors fit within Pentax's brand position - "Be Interesting".

It's important to note that their tagline is not
"Be Pro" or
"Be Amateur" or
"Be Small" or
"Be Weatherproof" or
"Be High Tech" or
"Be a Good Value" or
"Be APS-C" or
"Be Full Frame".

It's "Be Interesting" which I imagine is purposefully vague, or "aspirational" as we say in the ad world, but gives Pentax some creative and technological latitude in any market that they choose to enter. If you look at their offerings in a variety of markets lately - P&S, entry-level dSLR, mid-level dSLR, MF - they've stayed true to their motto. They're not able to please all the people all of the time, but nobody is. As long as Pentax continues to meet my needs, I'm staying. I don't need to buy all of their products, nor do I need to believe in them.
05-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Actually, it can impact the development of other cameras. If Pentax can generate additional marketing buzz and sell more cameras with very little investment in time or money, that could lead to more profits, which in turn can fuel the R&D of other cameras.
Or......it could mean Hoya thinks it has a winning strategy on it's hands and will ride that horse until it drops. Why change? Why take a shot at something that "might" excite the photo world when they already have something that does?

They have created a niche market, and everything they are doing, from the "Be Interesting" slogan to the Rainbow cameras is being done to exploit that market.

The KX was the breath of life Hoya needed, and it came at the perfect time. It will also be the death of Pentax as a camera company for anyone other than those who want to "Be Interesting". The 645D is geared towards the Pro studio shooter, the KX towards the Now Generation, and those in between, well, those in between will have to look elsewhere. There is no reason for Hoya to even attempt to compete with the other camera companies now. They have a niche market on the low end, and a niche market on the high end, and they can save their resources to capitalize on those two areas and let the other guys fight it out for the middle ground.

Thee is nothing wrong with that strategy either. They are in business to make a profit. But it still sits poorly with those who remember Pentax as a once great camera company.