05-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This one doesn't take photos...

05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I showed this to three women I worked with who are much younger than me. They were dying to get one. So, I guess for every "I'm switching to Nikon" so I can be taken seriously person, there are probably quite a few lined up to buy something like this.

I think it looks pretty cool.

I bet it sells out pronto.

I'm 49 so I'm kind of "the camera body needs to be black or silver" fuddy duddy, but I'm guessing a lot young people really like the colors. Good for them. I'm boring.

I agree and I too am a black body man... but this is one great way to get the Pentax name accross and on top of that introduce young ones into DSLR's and with such a fine sensor with great IQ to boot.

cheers

Neil
05-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
build brand recognition... more exposure...

Sure, why not produce products for the next up and coming generation?

unique cameras = more exposure. Exposure is good.

Loyal pentax customers will still get our annual or bi-annual camera upgrades.

Good that pentax is going for the younger population who may become loyal users.

p.s. k-x does a very nice job. In some situations, it's nicer than my K20d
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was with some non-photographer friends a week or so ago (I'm 21) when we saw someone with one of the stormtropper kits and they were pretty impressed, imagine what one of these would do.

Also, something like this would be awesome for going street shooting - be as conspicuous as possible, no one would take you seriously.

05-13-2010, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #35
ibk
Forum Member

Original Poster
I really don't get the negativity about this model.

I see it like this:
The biggest retail music store in Japan decided to make something new. They wanted a colorful camera. Who does colored cameras? Pentax. OK, lets order 1000 rainbow colored cameras, which shows "No music, no life" on it's welcome screen. Done.

How long it took for Pentax to do it? I guess 1 week (probably less). Is it worth? Yes!

Because this camera is not targeted at us (photographers). I think it's more than clear.
Because photographers do not look for cameras at music stores!
This camera will be sold only at the online store of Tower records, where no other cameras are sold. Perfect.

I think it's a very good marketing opportunity which they took advantage.
05-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
I totally agree. And I think Pentax has made some wonderful cameras.

It's sort of like when Chrysler bought Jeep. They never understood what made a Jeep a Jeep, and pretty much killed the brand. Hoya has no clue what made Pentax such a great camera. But here's a hint for them, it wasn't Jolly Rancher or Lego Robot camo.
Which why Hoya could pull K-7 and K-x. Indeed they don't understand Pentax, you're right.
05-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote
Am I not the only one who, upon looking at the picture of that special edition, thought the K-X assembly plant went completely f$%@$# bonkers one day and the Pentax higher-ups went "Eh, we'll say they're 'special editions' and get rid of 'em that way"?

Do anyone remember this special edition, as most special editions from Pentax, are local Japan market only ?

Geez, if an american car brand made a special edition for the 4th July I'm sure a bunch of Americans would buy it. What the hell does it change for us? I don't care but if that makes anyone happy, good for them and good for Pentax.

05-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perfect idea- recycle all the extra colored plates from other K-x's made in the factory, and combine them into a single motley K-x! Interesting & brilliant, but certainly not attractive to the eye like other special Pentax bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Do anyone remember this special edition, as most special editions from Pentax, are local Japan market only ?

[...]
This is the keyword here, JAPAN. Have you guys ever been to Japan? It's very common to dress like this:

Don't you think a rainbow K-x would go well with that outfit?
05-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
This is the keyword here, JAPAN. Have you guys ever been to Japan? It's very common to dress like this:

OMG! Someone animated the camera!
Not only would it go well with that outfit, it is that outfit!

NaCl(I wonder if she has "no music - no life" written on her back!)H2O
05-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
I don't want a Leica. I want a nice semi pro body that will handle a bit higher ISO like the other companies, with a shutter that wont cause a tsunami half way around the world every time you take a photo.
Al your not the target audience for the KX, you should buy the K7, that is the camera that Pentax is targeting at you.

The KX is not for enthusiasts. It's just like a Camery.
05-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #42

OMG! *head blows*

THAT'S FREAKING BRILLIANT!! FRUiTs and the Harajuku bound aren't the type to carry a "serious black" camera.

I can see a shiro-loli carrying a white K-x. How about a 2 tone, silver and black K-x, in leather eveready case, with a DA LTD? perfect for EGA! something bright pink for an ama-loli perhaps?

Sure, it's a small market, but like this and the Kore Ja Nai roboto one, it's all Japanese.

Localised Marketing. a red/white/blue K-x for Americans. Green and Gold for the Aussies. Maybe one in Hatsune Miku colours like the JR bulletrain (though i like Project Diva colours better =3)

and, if none of them suits you, you still can get it in black....
05-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Here's a Harajuku outfit that would also go well with this camera:
05-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm months past my 61st and not only is it brilliant but I really want one! It's so ugly it's beautiful!

NaCl(it speaks to my inner...er...inner...er...second childhood? )H2O
Hey Salty, I always thought you were in your early 30s

Still shocked...

Yep, still...

05-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #45

Here's a Harajuku outfit that would also go well with this camera:
Holy Cow! She looks like a cartoon!