Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax adapter for Sony NEX possible?

Well with the release of Sony's new NEX series, the m4/3 cameras are basically old technology... Anyone think it's possible for a Pentax adapter on the new sony mount?

05-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A purely mechanical adapter (with an aperture ring) should be possible. But don't even think about autofocus, program/Tv modes, ADI ("P-TTL") flash or other such "goodies".
In other words, if it will happen expect (at most) the same level of compatibility as for micro 4/3.
05-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by yoshizuki Quote
Well with the release of Sony's new NEX series, the m4/3 cameras are basically old technology... Anyone think it's possible for a Pentax adapter on the new sony mount?
micro 4/3 old technology??? lol

As for the adapter, a purely mechanical adapter would be just as easy to produce as a micro 4/3 adapter
05-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

Same way you can adapt pretty much any lens on the m4/3 bodies, from a leica M to a Pentax 67.

On the other hand, I really dont see any benefit of adapting pentax lenses on a sony body.

05-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #5

Why old? Smaller sensor yes.

I mostly wonder what olympus will do with their all on their own four-thirds dslrs, and whole lens setup.
05-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

Or do you mean they are bigger (atleast now) but with smaller sensor?

The Panasonic still got advantages in AF-speed and EVF, the Olympus in built-in image stabilization.
05-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
China made - maybe.

05-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote

On the other hand, I really dont see any benefit of adapting pentax lenses on a sony body.
A compact, ubersharp 75mm-equivalent f1.7 lens for around $35+$30 more for a cheap mechanical adapter? That's what my M 50mm f1.7 would be on the NEX cameras... and hopefully will be...

Personally, I must admit I see a lot of potential benefit.
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

hmmm....if i could just get a mechanical adapter, using pentax lenses on the NEX based camcorders would be AWESOME.

Manual focus is what i'd want anyway.
05-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
A compact, ubersharp 75mm-equivalent f1.7 lens for around $35+$30 more for a cheap mechanical adapter? That's what my M 50mm f1.7 would be on the NEX cameras... and hopefully will be...

Personally, I must admit I see a lot of potential benefit.
I agree that it has a lot of potential benefit. Think of it, one can be at an indoor event with an A-Pentax lens and manual focus, snapping pics with no shutter noise or screw drive focus noise to bother people. Or one could be taking pictures outdoors of wildlife without scaring them away with shutter noise.

This is the camera that Pentax should build with a 27.5mm adapter so the old lenses would work in autofocus, and then they should start building the new lenses that wouldn't require an adapter. If they miss the boat, i'll buy the Sony after i wait for 6 months to see what Pentax will do. Think of the flexibility, one could even hang a DA300 off a pentax evil cam.
05-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Inactive Account

a NEX with a manual FA Limited with aperture dial would be awesome! The smaller size of the limiteds would make a great subsitute lens for the standard lens.
With an APSC sensor would the FL still be consistant, e.g. FA31 (effective 46mm)?
I would get the Sony E mount 18-200 for the NEX btw as it would make the perfect travel camera.
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
a NEX with a manual FA Limited with aperture dial would be awesome! The smaller size of the limiteds would make a great subsitute lens for the standard lens.
With an APSC sensor would the FL still be consistant, e.g. FA31 (effective 46mm)?
I would get the Sony E mount 18-200 for the NEX btw as it would make the perfect travel camera.
The FL would still be consistent, since the sensor is the same size. However, the physical size of the lens would be increased by about 27 millimeters due to the necessary length of the adapter.

I don't necessarily know that the 18-200 would make an ideal travel camera. It's a BIG lens, and probably doesn't handle terribly well on those little cameras. At that size, there would be little advantage over a small DSLR+superzoom, just a disadvantage in functionality. The real strength of these NEX cams is when they're paired with very small lenses.

Apparently there is an NEX-7 confirmed to be in the pipeline, with a pseudo-SLR form factor (a la the NX10 and GH1) with greater optimization for video. That body will probably make a lot more sense to pair the 18-200 with.
05-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #13

I read that the shorter flange distance to sensor-size may be worse for optical performance (more ca, less sharp corners, ..) and that the original four-thirds was rather designed the other way around (long flange distance, smaller sensor.)

If that's the case I don't know if I would say old technology.

Can someone knowledgeable in glass confirm or deny?
05-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
I read that the shorter flange distance to sensor-size may be worse for optical performance (more ca, less sharp corners, ..) and that the original four-thirds was rather designed the other way around (long flange distance, smaller sensor.)

If that's the case I don't know if I would say old technology.

Can someone knowledgeable in glass confirm or deny?
I'm no expert but it smells like crap to me.

When m4/3 first arrived, everyone was excited because the short flange-sensor distance would allow faster, more compact, and higher-quality optical designs in the wideangle department (not requiring a retrofocal design). This is just more of the same.

With particularly low-angle incidences there could be some funny CA, but good sensor microlens design should prevent that.

Of course, if Sony's first few lenses turn out to be optically underwhelming, the internet will take it as "proof" that the claims about the flange-back distance being harmful is true (the classic correlation vs. cause mistake). All sorts of ridiculousness will follow.
05-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A sure thing is that Novoflex will offer a Sony-E-mount-to-Pentax-K-mount adapter soon.

This is their NX adapter shipping for Pentax next month:

Their K-mount adapters all have an aperture ring and feel great mechanically (still made in Germany). I had a very interesting conversation with Reinhard Hiesinger, the boss of Novoflex and I 100% admire his work. If you have a smart idea for some adapter, explain it to him and he may actually make it

The K-mount adapters with aperture ring are 142€ +VAT (µFT, NX, soon E-mount).
Novoflex - Adapter Finder