Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quick question regarding APS-H. Has anyone shot with a Canon body using this sensor? How does the viewfinder compare to that of an APS-C/ Full frame?

05-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #77
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Quick question regarding APS-H. Has anyone shot with a Canon body using this sensor? How does the viewfinder compare to that of an APS-C/ Full frame?

Pentax K-7:
23.4 x 15.6 mm CMOS sensor - 100% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.92x

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV:
27.9 x 18.6 mm CMOS sensor - 100% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.76x

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III:
36 x 24 mm CMOS sensor - 100% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.76x

Pentax LX:
36 x 24 mm Film - 97% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.97x

Last edited by eigelb; 05-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
05-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
My experience is that the pentaprism viewfinder that Pentax uses in the K10D/K20D and K-7 offers a similar experience to the viewfinder in my Pentax MZ-5N 24x36 film, in terms of brightness, clarity magnification and size - however, the K-DSLR's offers more since they are 95% to 100% view and the MZ-5N is below that.
Sorry Roland, but you must be drinking the Kool-Aid. If I run the numbers from Dimitrov on the viewfinder for the MZ-5N vs. the K10D, you STILL get something nearly double the size. I've personally looked through a D3X viewfinder (100% coverage, 71% magnification), and it's much bigger and much better than ANY APS-C viewfinder, even though it's similar in overall size to the film camera you're talking about. Further, there's nothing stopping Pentax from cleverly carving out a "niche" for itself by making a FF dSLR with a BETTER viewfinder than all of the FF dSLR competition, more like their film SLRs had.
06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
Pentax K-7:
23.4 x 15.6 mm CMOS sensor - 100% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.92x

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV:
27.9 x 18.6 mm CMOS sensor - 100% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.76x

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III:
36 x 24 mm CMOS sensor - 100% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.76x

Pentax LX:
36 x 24 mm Film - 97% frame coverage - Magnification: 0.97x
Allow me to put those numbers into meaningful context by converting them to surface area (in sq. mm rounded to the nearest integer).
  • Pentax K-7: 336
  • Canon EOS-1D Mark IV: 394
  • Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III: 657
  • Pentax LX: 813

Last edited by Miserere; 06-03-2010 at 07:37 AM.
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, that's very helpful.
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I think some of the higher-framerate Nikons/Canons now keep the mirror up and only trigger the mechanical shutter at the high speed burst modes. (Not sure - but note that many of them now have "high/low" burst modes - low probably trips the mirror and adjusts focus/metering after each shot and high doesn't.)
A method that u also can use on the K-7 with working in Live-View. Mirror is locked up and there is no movement in the camera from the shutter.
06-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A method that u also can use on the K-7 with working in Live-View. Mirror is locked up and there is no movement in the camera from the shutter.
Well, the shutter does move of course, at least in my K-7! I can feel it during the shot. BTW: even my Panasonic G1 (micro 4/3 EVIL camera) has a mechanical shutter which is used during the exposure.
06-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Well, the shutter does move of course, at least in my K-7! I can feel it during the shot. BTW: even my Panasonic G1 (micro 4/3 EVIL camera) has a mechanical shutter which is used during the exposure.
Yes, all current larger sensor cameras (4/3 and up) require mechanical shutter. This will eventually change when global shutter sensors are released (described in my earlier post in this thread here). That would allow us to do away with mechanical shutter for good.

06-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I realize it is off topic here, but why the hell would anybody need 11 fps?? :ugh:
For a 12 year old film cam, my Z- 1P does well, with its 4 fps.
My K10 is sorely lacking, with 3 pfs. And the K7 with its 5 fps would be a minimum, for sports use.

As I was out grabbing some shots at a half Ironman competition, I tried to explain how I go at a photo opportunity like that, to some of the participants who were P&S users. This was after the race, and the guy parked next to us interrupted, and stated that you just hold up your cam and snap off 10 fps, and with the right settings can get some good ones. He was holding a Nikon D2Hs or D2Xs, so wasn't all bragging.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/105656-sports-half-ironman.html
(I had been out the night before, so just tested some panning, to kill time)

I've met people covering soccer matches or tennis, saying that they've had to work extremely hard with semi-pro gear, compared to someone just holding up a Eos 1D Mark II with shutter bottom depressed. They do catch way more exposures at the right moment.

I would be way more interested in a Pentax with 8-10 fps, than a Pentax FF 24 MP. Especially, since with continues auto-focus the frame rate goes down, as it adjusts along the way. And if you shot with slower shutter speed, you also loose frames pr. second.

If you're out tracking tiger on elephant back, you may be lucky to catch it in brief seconds. You need as many exposures as possible, to just get one that might be right.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And what happened to Sony sensors from 6Mpix to 10 Mpix?
Good point

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
I've used the 10fps on my 1DIII on at least 5 occasions in the last year (out of about 100,000 frames). Its not something you need all the time but sometimes it makes the deal.

you have to see how fast these guys are moving to appreciate how difficult it is to get this shot without high frame rate (at 300mm F2.8)...
Superb shot !

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
People on this forum often state that a FF DSLR from Pentax would only have a small market.
I would think that the market for those who require 10fps would be no larger!
Cameras with high fps, is an options these cameras have. It is just a setting you can apply. They can easily do most of their pictures at 3-5 fps.

And of cause it is also a specs brag sheet for some. (FF cameras in the cheaper category, are seldom fast in this regard)

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
This sensor looks interesting. Camera probably won't be 10fps (who needs to be) but anywhere above 5 each incremental increase in speed is worth less and less each time. And don't give me that "sports shooters need more"....if you are shooting the super bowl you are shooting canon and not even concerned with what pentax is doing.
You do know that Super Bowl is sponsored by Canon ?
Meaning that all the Nikon shooters are forced to wear jackets saying Canon, though they might hate the company.
(Watch for the black lenses, a good give away that it is high-end Nikon shooters. Though Nikon also makes white ones).

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
Full Frame? Why? I want the bigger crop factor for telephoto lenses and the price point to stay low. Go ahead and make one for all the "napoleon complex's" out there, just don't forget about the "bang for your buck" that drew a lot of us in.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
was just trying to make point that if Oly can magnify a 4/3 up to an APS-C, can someone else not create a FF magnification from a APS-C
I find the 1D Mark III Viewfinder, better than the original Eos 5D.

And the VF in the Nikon D300S is superb, IMO. Don't see a big difference from it, compared to my auto-focus film cams.

Another user sold his Eos 1Ds Mark II, for an Oly D3; as putting a 500 mm lens on it, the crop factor made the birds he photographed appear bigger, than it would in his Canon FF Viewfinder.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 06-28-2010 at 05:03 AM.
06-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I realize it is off topic here, but why the hell would anybody need 11 fps?? :ugh:
You need when you miss the frame you where looking for. I was short while ago in Rosmalen, The Netherlands, at the WTA tennistournament (grass playing) for shooting Justin Henin. Made some great pictures there with my K-7 at only 5.2 fps. I would have used at several occasions a better framerate to make some shots you just almost never get unless you'r so lucky.

Two shots in a row, I just made them 4:3 and cut of only one piece (left in first picture and right on the second picture):

In between dees two shots there is one great picture wich I would have captured with 11 fps. So I loved to have that option.

Faster AF and tracking would be nice, but these pictures are made with an old manual focus lens, so it's not to die for.