Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
10fps is very hard on the mirror box of a dslr. On an EVIL camera that would make much more sense as you don't need to move the mirror.
Nikon and Canon have mirrors and till 11 fps.

05-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Nubi

I realize it is off topic here, but why the hell would anybody need 11 fps?? :ugh:
05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I realize it is off topic here, but why the hell would anybody need 11 fps?? :ugh:
soccer mums.

"Oh, and look at this, it's got a PMS circuit. So can we expect it to be unreliable and irrational once a month?"

- that's so the soccer mums can have something to talk to.
05-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I don't need. It's just an anwer that DSLR can hardly 11 fps.

05-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I've used the 10fps on my 1DIII on at least 5 occasions in the last year (out of about 100,000 frames). Its not something you need all the time but sometimes it makes the deal.

you have to see how fast these guys are moving to appreciate how difficult it is to get this shot without high frame rate (at 300mm F2.8)...
05-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
I've used the 10fps on my 1DIII on at least 5 occasions in the last year (out of about 100,000 frames). Its not something you need all the time but sometimes it makes the deal.

you have to see how fast these guys are moving to appreciate how difficult it is to get this shot without high frame rate (at 300mm F2.8)...

Very nice pic by the way.

Sure, I am certain that it heavily depends on the genre of photography one is into. But I keep thinking that if you picked a single awesome shot out of thousands, I am afraid that the success will start to feel more like an accident, not an intended outcome. That is largely because I really suck as a photographer though . . . . .
05-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the high frame rates of my 1DSmkIII for sporting stuff, in combination with a 400mm f/2.8 L IS with a 200mm f/1.8L and I use canon 2X TC's on them interchangeably..though I use my Pentax K7 on the sidelines with my sigma 100-300mm f/4 zoom where it's small body, and 5FPS capability certainly comes in handy though you get slower frame rates in AF-C on the K7.

05-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

One good thing that may come out of a Samsung versus Sony sensor arms race is Pentax can take their pick from the company that makes the better sensor, especially now that Pentax is apparently not tied to whatever sensor Samsung makes. Choice is one advantage of not being in the sensor making business.

One question, though, for those more technically knowledgeable than me. If Pentax hypothetically releases a few more camera bodies later this year, wouldn't they have already picked the sensors for these cameras or can that come later in the development stage?
05-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For my bird photography I would use that all the time... my old K10D is a great camera but for use on small birds flying, it is not so great... I can get the shot if the bird is nailed to the branch...

I will definitely upgrade once Pentax releases a DSLR with a faster frame rate (subtle hint to the powers that be)...
05-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
One question, though, for those more technically knowledgeable than me. If Pentax hypothetically releases a few more camera bodies later this year, wouldn't they have already picked the sensors for these cameras or can that come later in the development stage?

Depends how encapsulated that part of the camera is... I imagine it could be done pretty late, TECHNICALLY, but they didn't do it with the K7 or it would have already had the Kx sensor. Probably because it would take a year to get a delivery of a bulk order of sensors etc.
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Very nice pic by the way.

Sure, I am certain that it heavily depends on the genre of photography one is into. But I keep thinking that if you picked a single awesome shot out of thousands, I am afraid that the success will start to feel more like an accident, not an intended outcome. That is largely because I really suck as a photographer though . . . . .
All the fancy digital stuff that didn't exist on a camera 20 years ago can be considered a crutch. RAW files can be a crutch for those who can't get their exposure right, a good autofocus system can be a crutch for those who never learned to manually focus a camera and a high frame rate can be a crutch for those who don't know how to take a good picture... but each of these tools have appropriate uses too. Like I said I have probably only set my camera at 10fps 5 times in the last year. I usually use either single shot or 4fps but there are occasions where I will turn it up to 10 and in those situations its awesome to have it.
05-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Just because the sensor is capable of 10.7fps, doesn't mean the camera built around it has to be capable of 10.7fps.
05-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I like the possibility for birding
05-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raw should not be considered a crutch. It is what you actually shot. We had it 20 years ago. It was called a negative.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #30 in compact camera forum. Enter #31. Any brand camera. Enter now!
05-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #30
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Just because the sensor is capable of 10.7fps, doesn't mean the camera built around it has to be capable of 10.7fps.
10-10.5 fps - no problem. Sony 12 MP sensor can 4.5-5.0 fps (specs - 5 fps).

Last edited by ogl; 05-15-2010 at 06:37 AM.