I received an email at work this (Fri May 14) afternoon informing me of
Price reduction on K-x Kits (except the Rainbow one ) and several of the
Optio camera's

Sadly, nothing regarding any of the lenses nor flashes

Cheers and have a great weekend

Jack

05-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Henrys have the kit of 2 lenses at $799 down $200 but seem to be a promotion only . THis is almost same price of the one I bought from Newegg.ca
05-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Henrey

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Henrys have the kit of 2 lenses at $799 down $200 but seem to be a promotion only . THis is almost same price of the one I bought from Newegg.ca
Henrys are very good stores with very stupid prices. I can't understand how one pays $1299CAD for a K-7 body only when it's less than $900CAD (shipping included) from BH/Adorama. If it's 10-15% higher I will sure buy local, but 45% higher....
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

BTW do you have to pay any kind of taxes if you fly from Canada to New York and buy DSLR lens or camera? (I am new in Canada and dont know these things yet)
Thanks!

05-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shouldn't this be in the price watch forum, and shouldn't we throw some links up?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ketsuppi, i hope its some business trip and not just for the K-X haha. So long as you can get to across customs w/o them checking.

I think our travel exemptions isn't all that high even with extend stopovers. irc, 7 days and over spend abroad exempts you up to $700 max of purchased goods from duties.

Of course they aren't going to be that strict, i mean if you do cross the border for one day and on return tell the border guard when asked that you spent $200 or so on shopping where you are only exempt of the first $100, they probably aren't going to pull you over and go through your stuff and ding you.

I'll let the others chime in about the border stuff as I'm not too familiar with it.
05-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Ketsuppi, i hope its some business trip and not just for the K-X haha. So long as you can get to across customs w/o them checking.

I think our travel exemptions isn't all that high even with extend stopovers. irc, 7 days and over spend abroad exempts you up to $700 max of purchased goods from duties.

Of course they aren't going to be that strict, i mean if you do cross the border for one day and on return tell the border guard when asked that you spent $200 or so on shopping where you are only exempt of the first $100, they probably aren't going to pull you over and go through your stuff and ding you.

I'll let the others chime in about the border stuff as I'm not too familiar with it.
Thanks for the info. I know that some people have had problems between EU and other countries but I don't know what kind of agreements CA and USA have.
I may have to make a holiday trip to New York if Pentax comes up with some really nice high end camera

05-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
BTW do you have to pay any kind of taxes if you fly from Canada to New York and buy DSLR lens or camera? (I am new in Canada and dont know these things yet)
Thanks!
Hmm, if you have the camera out of box, who can prove it's a new purchase? If you buy in Canada and take it with you, won't you have it when you are returning?
05-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Hmm, if you have the camera out of box, who can prove it's a new purchase?
I guess no one. I have heard about some cases when they have written done what camera equipment you have when you enter the country and when you leave they check that you don't have any new gear.

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
If you buy in Canada and take it with you, won't you have it when you are returning?
I don't quite understand this... My question was about flying from Canada to New York and back to Canada..
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you go in person to NY you have to pay NYC taxes on it which you can avoid over the internet.

As for border guards, if you take one of the busy bridges they often wave you if you indicate you have purchases a moderate amount.
05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
I guess no one. I have heard about some cases when they have written done what camera equipment you have when you enter the country and when you leave they check that you don't have any new gear.

I don't quite understand this... My question was about flying from Canada to New York and back to Canada..
If you don't register your camera gear and lenses with Canada Customs before you go to the US, then Canada Customs can assume that your gear is newly purchased, if they find it, and if you don't have a registration card with you on your return. You can lose your camera at customs, and any other stuff that you are carrying. If you are driving your own car with the camera in it, they can take the car too.

The burden of proof is on you, not them. They won't hassle you for minor purchases, but they will crucify you for merchandise worth hundreds.

If you stay in the US for a long time, something like 10 days, you are allowed an exemption which would just about cover the Kx. You can check it out by Googling Canada Customs. I almost did that after spending two weeks in Florida. Otherwise be very careful.
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed. Take all your expensive camera gear to your nearest Canadian Customs office. Fill out the green card. Have card signed and stamped by the customs official. You are then covered for whatever item is llisted on the card. Usually the official just accepts whatever is on the card without going through your bag before signing it off. It can be a nasty experience coming home to Canada through the border if you get a young guard bent on proving him/herself to the higher ups.

Jack
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
If you don't register your camera gear and lenses with Canada Customs before you go to the US, then Canada Customs can assume that your gear is newly purchased, if they find it, and if you don't have a registration card with you on your return. You can lose your camera at customs, and any other stuff that you are carrying. If you are driving your own car with the camera in it, they can take the car too.

The burden of proof is on you, not them. They won't hassle you for minor purchases, but they will crucify you for merchandise worth hundreds.

If you stay in the US for a long time, something like 10 days, you are allowed an exemption which would just about cover the Kx. You can check it out by Googling Canada Customs. I almost did that after spending two weeks in Florida. Otherwise be very careful.
Okey good to know.
Will they take my clothes off if I have expensive clothes and I don't have them listed too? They could easily be as expensive as camera or lens...
Sounds like USSR
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Let's put thing straight
1) No duty on camera imported to Canada
2) If you declare the camera, you will pay only the GST if you enter in a different province of yours except if you are from a province of Harmonised tax
3) Why not just ordering it by the web. I just done it with Newegg.ca, paid only the GST and $13 freight. This way you do have to pay state tax

See all details how to order in USA or Canada and see all pricing

PS sometime the price include PST , you just have to enter in the vendor basket to see what tax are needed on Newegg.ca

Products by Pentax - Canadian and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
05-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Indeed. Take all your expensive camera gear to your nearest Canadian Customs office. Fill out the green card. Have card signed and stamped by the customs official. You are then covered for whatever item is llisted on the card. Usually the official just accepts whatever is on the card without going through your bag before signing it off. It can be a nasty experience coming home to Canada through the border if you get a young guard bent on proving him/herself to the higher ups.

Jack
You can/should also carry copies of the sales invoices with you. Keep them outside of your camera bag incase you need to file a police report.