Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 210
CANADIANS - Pentax (Kx kits) Price Drop May 17/10

I received an email at work this (Fri May 14) afternoon informing me of
Price reduction on K-x Kits (except the Rainbow one ) and several of the
Optio camera's

Sadly, nothing regarding any of the lenses nor flashes

Cheers and have a great weekend

Jack

05-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,701
Henrys have the kit of 2 lenses at $799 down $200 but seem to be a promotion only . THis is almost same price of the one I bought from Newegg.ca
05-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 260
Henrey

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Henrys have the kit of 2 lenses at $799 down $200 but seem to be a promotion only . THis is almost same price of the one I bought from Newegg.ca
Henrys are very good stores with very stupid prices. I can't understand how one pays $1299CAD for a K-7 body only when it's less than $900CAD (shipping included) from BH/Adorama. If it's 10-15% higher I will sure buy local, but 45% higher....
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
BTW do you have to pay any kind of taxes if you fly from Canada to New York and buy DSLR lens or camera? (I am new in Canada and dont know these things yet)
Thanks!

05-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,993
Shouldn't this be in the price watch forum, and shouldn't we throw some links up?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member
FotoPete's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,710
Ketsuppi, i hope its some business trip and not just for the K-X haha. So long as you can get to across customs w/o them checking.

I think our travel exemptions isn't all that high even with extend stopovers. irc, 7 days and over spend abroad exempts you up to $700 max of purchased goods from duties.

Of course they aren't going to be that strict, i mean if you do cross the border for one day and on return tell the border guard when asked that you spent $200 or so on shopping where you are only exempt of the first $100, they probably aren't going to pull you over and go through your stuff and ding you.

I'll let the others chime in about the border stuff as I'm not too familiar with it.
05-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Ketsuppi, i hope its some business trip and not just for the K-X haha. So long as you can get to across customs w/o them checking.

I think our travel exemptions isn't all that high even with extend stopovers. irc, 7 days and over spend abroad exempts you up to $700 max of purchased goods from duties.

Of course they aren't going to be that strict, i mean if you do cross the border for one day and on return tell the border guard when asked that you spent $200 or so on shopping where you are only exempt of the first $100, they probably aren't going to pull you over and go through your stuff and ding you.

I'll let the others chime in about the border stuff as I'm not too familiar with it.
Thanks for the info. I know that some people have had problems between EU and other countries but I don't know what kind of agreements CA and USA have.
I may have to make a holiday trip to New York if Pentax comes up with some really nice high end camera
05-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 260
QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
BTW do you have to pay any kind of taxes if you fly from Canada to New York and buy DSLR lens or camera? (I am new in Canada and dont know these things yet)
Thanks!
Hmm, if you have the camera out of box, who can prove it's a new purchase? If you buy in Canada and take it with you, won't you have it when you are returning?

05-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Hmm, if you have the camera out of box, who can prove it's a new purchase?
I guess no one. I have heard about some cases when they have written done what camera equipment you have when you enter the country and when you leave they check that you don't have any new gear.

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
If you buy in Canada and take it with you, won't you have it when you are returning?
I don't quite understand this... My question was about flying from Canada to New York and back to Canada..
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
If you go in person to NY you have to pay NYC taxes on it which you can avoid over the internet.

As for border guards, if you take one of the busy bridges they often wave you if you indicate you have purchases a moderate amount.
05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fredericton New Brunswick Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 332
QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
I guess no one. I have heard about some cases when they have written done what camera equipment you have when you enter the country and when you leave they check that you don't have any new gear.

I don't quite understand this... My question was about flying from Canada to New York and back to Canada..
If you don't register your camera gear and lenses with Canada Customs before you go to the US, then Canada Customs can assume that your gear is newly purchased, if they find it, and if you don't have a registration card with you on your return. You can lose your camera at customs, and any other stuff that you are carrying. If you are driving your own car with the camera in it, they can take the car too.

The burden of proof is on you, not them. They won't hassle you for minor purchases, but they will crucify you for merchandise worth hundreds.

If you stay in the US for a long time, something like 10 days, you are allowed an exemption which would just about cover the Kx. You can check it out by Googling Canada Customs. I almost did that after spending two weeks in Florida. Otherwise be very careful.
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,255
Indeed. Take all your expensive camera gear to your nearest Canadian Customs office. Fill out the green card. Have card signed and stamped by the customs official. You are then covered for whatever item is llisted on the card. Usually the official just accepts whatever is on the card without going through your bag before signing it off. It can be a nasty experience coming home to Canada through the border if you get a young guard bent on proving him/herself to the higher ups.

Jack
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
If you don't register your camera gear and lenses with Canada Customs before you go to the US, then Canada Customs can assume that your gear is newly purchased, if they find it, and if you don't have a registration card with you on your return. You can lose your camera at customs, and any other stuff that you are carrying. If you are driving your own car with the camera in it, they can take the car too.

The burden of proof is on you, not them. They won't hassle you for minor purchases, but they will crucify you for merchandise worth hundreds.

If you stay in the US for a long time, something like 10 days, you are allowed an exemption which would just about cover the Kx. You can check it out by Googling Canada Customs. I almost did that after spending two weeks in Florida. Otherwise be very careful.
Okey good to know.
Will they take my clothes off if I have expensive clothes and I don't have them listed too? They could easily be as expensive as camera or lens...
Sounds like USSR
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,701
Let's put thing straight
1) No duty on camera imported to Canada
2) If you declare the camera, you will pay only the GST if you enter in a different province of yours except if you are from a province of Harmonised tax
3) Why not just ordering it by the web. I just done it with Newegg.ca, paid only the GST and $13 freight. This way you do have to pay state tax

See all details how to order in USA or Canada and see all pricing

PS sometime the price include PST , you just have to enter in the vendor basket to see what tax are needed on Newegg.ca

Products by Pentax - Canadian and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
05-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Indeed. Take all your expensive camera gear to your nearest Canadian Customs office. Fill out the green card. Have card signed and stamped by the customs official. You are then covered for whatever item is llisted on the card. Usually the official just accepts whatever is on the card without going through your bag before signing it off. It can be a nasty experience coming home to Canada through the border if you get a young guard bent on proving him/herself to the higher ups.

Jack
You can/should also carry copies of the sales invoices with you. Keep them outside of your camera bag incase you need to file a police report.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
kits, pentax kx, pentax news, pentax rumors, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Drop? PaddlesUp Pentax News and Rumors 19 07-05-2009 06:32 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA 55-300mm Relisted Price Drop! k100d Sold Items 3 02-18-2009 10:45 PM
Pentax U.S. announces price drops, new K2000 kits Urkeldaedalus Pentax News and Rumors 56 02-08-2009 12:29 PM
Pentax price drop is official! rburgoss Pentax News and Rumors 5 10-28-2008 07:00 AM
Another Pentax (Canada) price drop ... Jack Simpson Pentax News and Rumors 2 06-03-2008 12:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top