Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Shooter for the Teva Mountain Games

I guess this is sort of news. Although, it seems this sections is really only about unsubstantiated rumors and not so much news. So we can pretend that this has yet to be confirmed if everyone wants!

I have been selected to be one of the few photographers for the Teva Mountain Games in Vail, CO. I will particularly be in charge of shooting the paddle sports events and the Bouldering World Cup. This event is a big deal in the outdoor sports community and draws a lot of top caliber and pro athletes. Especially the World Cup, which is one of the biggest climbing competition events in the world. I will also be a judge for their annual photo competition that they do at the event.

I'm super excited to be shooting this event for the Vail Valley Foundation, which is who puts it on. I've known about this for a while, but just realized that maybe it's at least a bit newsworthy. I hope that by seeing a Pentax on the front lines of a sporting event, maybe some people will take a closer and less biased look at the brand.

For more info, you can check out the blog post announcement I made a while back, and the follow up post to that. Thanks everyone, and wish me luck!

05-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck and go shoot some fantastic pictures!
05-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck and nice to see a Pentax guy doing this thing!
05-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck and happy shooting.

It would be interesting to hear your experience with cameras and lenses.

What camera body(ies) will you use?

What lenses do you intend to use?

Similarly, it would be worthwhile to hear, afterwards, your thoughts of the equipment, its performances and the ease to use it. Pros and cons...

05-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome!!! And jealous!!! Sounds like a lot of fun. Best of luck to you.
05-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope you'll be shooting with at least one of the coloured K-x's
One of the new orange or light green bodies available in the US would certainly help you stand out.
05-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope you'll be shooting with at least one of the coloured K-x's
One of the new orange or light green bodies available in the US would certainly help you stand out.
Oh man, would I ever! If I had one. But maybe there's something to be said for keeping up 'professional appearances', even though the K-x could do a decent job at it!

05-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, thanks guys! I'll be sure to post/link to results in a few weeks when they're ready to go.

I would be happy to talk about what my game plan and gear plan are, and talk about how that all worked out for me.

Gear List as of right now:
K-7 - K20d w/grip - K10d w/grip
DA* - 16-50/2.8, 55/1.4, 50-135/2.8, 200/2.8, 300/4
DA - 10-17/fish, 14/2.8,
AF540FGZ x1, AF360FGZ x2
Elinchrom BXRi 500 w/s and 250 w/s heads
Manfrotoo tripod, ballhead, monopod, superclamp, light stands of various sorts, hotshoe/stand adapters for flashes, sand bags, unbrelles, reflectors, an octabank, and other miscelaneous things.

I also have a bit budgeted to buy a few more things, but my list of things I want forthis event, of course, far exceeds my budgeted amount.

Things I want:
Another studio light
A Vagabond II battery pack, since I'm not sure how accessable AC power will be
A Manfrotto Magic Arm, for remote camer purposes
Pocket Wizard MultiMax's also for remote camera purposes
And 100 other random things

I'll try to post back about the game plan, and what I actually anticipate that I'll use. I'll onsite lodging and a good basecamp area, so with events like this my motto is always bring everything you own, and figure it out onsite. It's alot easier to leave things you don't need in your condo/truck than it is to go get or work without things you do need.
05-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Best of light, make the Pentaxians proud! Your setup sounds good.

If someone from Pentax is watching this - give the man a red K-x, for Pete's sake! )
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

Great Exposure

This is just the type of image exposure, I think, that PENTAX is after - outdoor adventure camera. This is why I think it would be prudent of PENTAX to sponsor the Banf Mountain Film festival shown annually around N America at Universities and small arts-film venues. FTWDK, Banf Mountain FF is a series of short amature films of extreme outdoor sport events. It is primarily sponsored by companies who want to promote their products with rugged outdoor images and/or appeal.
05-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats. Make sure you have a big fat Pentax logo across your shirt so everyone can see.
05-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Congrats. Make sure you have a big fat Pentax logo across your shirt so everyone can see.
I'm hoping for a Pentax ball cap that I can wear backwards. That way all the other photographers that have less access than I do will have to look at it the whole time. Plus, if you wear a backwards hat with a camera brand logo on it, then you're instantly a really great photographer.
05-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Best of light, make the Pentaxians proud! Your setup sounds good.

If someone from Pentax is watching this - give the man a red K-x, for Pete's sake! )
Yeah, or some secret FF body to test out!
05-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Inactive Account

You better not screw this up for us.

Hahaha
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
You better not screw this up for us.

Hahaha
Haha. I'll try not to. I can see the headlines now: