Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

Why are pentax camera prices falling?

I know prices fluctuate on any product but I have been watching the k-x and the k7 and the prices have been falling. Slowly but falling. Is that because a new body is coming out and the resellers (adorama, bh, etc.) know this? With the other companies like Canon and Nikon I can see new bodies coming out. But with Pentax they only have two and no new ones that I know if.

05-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it's going to be that time of the year again

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I know prices fluctuate on any product but I have been watching the k-x and the k7 and the prices have been falling. Slowly but falling. Is that because a new body is coming out and the resellers (adorama, bh, etc.) know this?
New bodies are likely to arrive later this year. But this isn't the reason for the decreasing prices.

It rather is that new bodies have higher values (because they are new and stay recent for a longer period of time) than a year old body (like K-7 now). It's a question of deprecation value and happens for all fast deprecating goods except Apple.

Only if prices make an extreme jump down are new models rumored to be around the corner and dealers may wish to clear inventory. Not the case with Pentax right now.
05-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
New bodies are likely to arrive later this year. But this isn't the reason for the decreasing prices.

It rather is that new bodies have higher values (because they are new and stay recent for a longer period of time) than a year old body (like K-7 now). It's a question of deprecation value and happens for all fast deprecating goods except Apple.

Only if prices make an extreme jump down are new models rumored to be around the corner and dealers may wish to clear inventory. Not the case with Pentax right now.

later this year is good to know. I am saving my money for a K7 and maybe either it will come down or the new camera will be something new to shoot for.

05-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
later this year is good to know. I am saving my money for a K7 and maybe either it will come down or the new camera will be something new to shoot for.
The good thing with falling prices is that whenever you buy, it will almost never be the wrong moment in time or too expensive. There is no perfect moment to buy...
05-20-2010, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Short answer: FOREX

Long answer: CAPITALISM

If you are from the US, then prices should decline modestly in the next 6 months. In the EU, you're hooped. Canada, Oz, NZ, hard to tell, but likely stable due to hedging.

We may see sales soon as a renewed credit crunch will force companies, even as big as Hoya, to liquidate inventory for cash. The current tactic these days is to hedge against deflation by keeping prices as high as possible then grudgingly lowering them through targeted rebates, extended warranties, and other promotions. Newer models may be delayed to reel in sunk costs from older production. We are still in a deflationary cycle.

If you need it and have the $$$, buy within your budget. Waiting is deferred enjoyment. You could get run over by a bus without having the K-7 in your hand, and what good would that be?

Last edited by Aristophanes; 05-20-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: tpyos
05-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If you need it and have the $$$, buy within your budget. Waiting is deferred enjoyment. You could get run over by a bus without having the K-7 in your hand, and what good what that be?
Here's a way to think of it. Camera Lens Rentals will rent you the K-7:

CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax K-7 Lens Rental

Cost for a month: $374.

So there's one way to calculate the value of having it now vs. waiting for it to drop further in price -- wait a month, and maybe the price has come down $100, leaving you out a virtual $274 of enjoyment.
05-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
In the EU, you're hooped.
Declining digital camera prices are an effect of technical progress.

As Steve Jobs likes to say: "this is the high order bit"

IMHO, as for jumping foreign exchange rates, or stock exchange rates, or other speculative prices ... this is mainly due to human's herd nature to follow the crowd rather than using his own brain. And the fact that some bet on this human property. And the failure of politics to create a dampening element.

So, erratic changes are coming and going.

As for EU, it's fine. Nobody is in real trouble and Greece is so small EU can pay its debts from the petty cash... The only thing happening is that some roman countries are realizing right now that they don't control the money press anymore. Which is a good thing, actually

05-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It's most likely due to Pentax being recently bought out by Kodak.

Which has yet to be announced officially(they always hold off), though I suspect the price changes have something to do with this since inside trading have definitely reacted already.

There is also rumors of a logo replacement program where Kodak will launche a worldwide product re-branding campaign, which is going to be an incentive program aimed at existing Pentax owners that will involve replacing their Pentax logo's with the new joint name "Kotex"

So that's most likely the reason Pentax products are so cheap atm(Kotex).
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well stocks droped over a -1000 points at one time today and ended over -300 at days end here in the U.S.
We'll see after the holiday weekend the end of the month to see how confident people really are.
05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

Which has yet to be announced officially(they always hold off), though I suspect the price changes have something to do with this since inside trading have definitely reacted already.

There is also rumors of a logo replacement program where Kodak will launche a worldwide product re-branding campaign, which is going to be an incentive program aimed at existing Pentax owners that will involve replacing their Pentax logo's with the new joint name "Kotex"

I think you have it wrong. Its Tamron that will end up with Pentax and the new logo name will be . . . . T____x

Last edited by Blue; 05-20-2010 at 08:43 PM.
05-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think you have it wrong. Its Tamron that will end up with Pentax and the new logo name will be . . . . T____x
I was thinking along the same lines... the only Kotex I usually see are in my bathroom cabinet...
05-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

I'm not quite sure if you were joking or not, but Pentax hasn't been bought out by Kodak.
05-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

also to a lesser degree I think Pentax also has to stay competative to not just Pentax new camera bodies but competitions. If another brand comes out with a equal or better camera at around the same price, it only makes sence they stay competative.
05-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It is normal for prices to start fall when the camera has been 6 months on the market. Not because a new body is expected to come out after 6 months (the bodies are replaced every 18 month, not 6) but because market demands lower prices.
Competition comes out with new cameras, and an answer to them is lowering prices to give even more value for money. That it is why it is recommended to wait at least 6 months before buying a new DSLR, so you get the best value for money.
If you buy a DSLR when it is released, you will pay much more than after 6 months.
Both K-7 and K-x are very good value now.

New bodies will come, eventually. Not before summer. Most likely we will have some news at Photokina show in September and then they will be out before Christmas this year - at a higher price than what the K-x and K-7 sells for today.