Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX - are you listening?

Finally...

The DSLR Which Won't Mash Your Face

I've been on a one-man crusade since DSLR's first came out...what has taken so bloody long?

Finally, a camera for people with noses...

Cheers,
Cameron

05-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Let's see a full-frame first

P.S. Pentax does read this forum. A lot. tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

And the Pentax DSLR which won't mash your face:
http://enticingthelight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Pentax-645D-rear.jpg
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I was going to suggest that Just use a long eyepiece haha.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I've been on a one-man crusade since DSLR's first came out...
Er - how is this unique to digital SLRs? I think about it every time I pick up one of my rangefinders and wonder where the sore nose went
05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #6

over 2 years ago when I joined this forum one of my first threads was on a skewed body design for a DSLR. I even contacted Pentax with the idea, but never sent them the drawings. Funny how now someone else has had the same idea, and implemented it.
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just want Pentax to give us a new generation wildlife lens. And where is the teleconverter that will work with SDM lenses?

05-21-2010, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

*tilting head about twenty or thirty degrees and raising camera to eye just like forever*

Hrm. Neck still works.

The Mk. I Eyeball is capable of leveling the visual field independently of your head. If right-eye dominant, bring camera up to about nose or jaw level, tilt and come down on it a little. This'll lower the camera's center of gravity, as well as improve your field of view with your off-eye.

I don't have much of a nose, but it falls aside of the camera.

It'll help your steadiness, too, doing this. Don't mash your face against the back of the camera and then try to steady it. Find your steady spot and bring the eye to *that.*
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even did a mock-up in one of my old posts....

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I was going to suggest that Just use a long eyepiece haha.
QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
over 2 years ago when I joined this forum one of my first threads was on a skewed body design for a DSLR. I even contacted Pentax with the idea, but never sent them the drawings. Funny how now someone else has had the same idea, and implemented it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*tilting head about twenty or thirty degrees and raising camera to eye just like forever*

Hrm. Neck still works.

The Mk. I Eyeball is capable of leveling the visual field independently of your head. If right-eye dominant, bring camera up to about nose or jaw level, tilt and come down on it a little. This'll lower the camera's center of gravity, as well as improve your field of view with your off-eye.

I don't have much of a nose, but it falls aside of the camera.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/686164-post23.html

Cheers,
Cameron
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
No one implemented it, and no one ever will. It was a mockup same as yours. Just get an extender for the viewfinder.
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

People complain now, that dslrs are too big and thick. If you tilted the back, as in that Spanish mockup, the camera would be even thicker.

The sensor MUST be perpendicular to the lens axis. That's simple physics. You can't change that, at least not with any technolocy available today. Therefore, the sensor plane can be no further back than the bottom of that sloped back. All that extra space behind that plane at the top of the camera is in addition to the present thickness.

IOW, you could take the existing camera back, pivot it around the BOTTOM edge of the camera and tilt it back 1/2 inch or so. You can't pivot around the top edge and tilt the bottom IN 1/2 inch. That would move the sensor too far forward.

So, a sloped back would only make the camera noticable bigger than it already is.

Besides, I've never been bothered by having my nose against the camera, either with my film slrs or with my K10D. I do have to periodically wipe the nose prints off the back LCD, though.
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Panny/Oly solution that never caught on. Panny DMC-L1:

05-22-2010, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

ar.... that will not be necesary.
Pentax is made in japan, and asian (like myself) is known for having flat noses!
We are just a naturally-designed-photographer!

kidding adise, that camera look ugly. It won't sell.

Lee
05-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with that mock-up is that it puts the sensor under the front of the command dial, not at the back of the camera.
That sort of idea would work, but the overall depth of the camera would need to increase by the depth of the deflection caused by the slope.

The concept, while cute, wasn't thought through very well.
05-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Instead of making camera back at angle, why not simply tilt the viewfinder a bit up..
Vertical TLR style finder would be too extraordinary i believe.

There are and have been many interesting concepts, but there is a reason why they don't get adopted very well. Unfortunately some good ones are dropped because of subjective reasons (sales of extra accessories, user conservativeness, poor implementation etc).