Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Well now, first you say....after you say you work in a camera store, and give the impression that you might have some inside info,

QuoteQuote:
While we can expect some very nice lens introductions over the next quarter or so, don't expect this one to be replaced.
then when asked you come back with a wise guy reply about your crystal ball, your magic 8 ball.....and say

QuoteQuote:
my crystal ball is no fuzzier than any other speculator's. My speculation is we'll see a budget priced normal equivalent prime and a much more rangy zoom as an upgrade from the 18-55.

I asked my magic 8 ball about the 55-33WR and it repeatedly gave me negative answers, but since Canon and Nikon seem to have a perpetual instant rebate on their 70-300 IS or VR lenses that bring the sale price below $400, a new price or the availability of the DA L55-300 as an a la cart option would also be a pretty good guess.

What store do you work in? I want to make sure I never shop there.

I certainly hope you dont sell cameras the same way, Come off like an expert and them have to admit, you dont know squat.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

05-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #17
REM
Forum Member

i'd buy it

As I am primarily interested in Limiteds and WR lenses, i would buy it. I need some more tele at the moment and keep hearing the IQ is better than the 50-200mm.
05-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
You are most welcome. As a buyer in a photo specialty store who no longer relies on the information of a sales rep, as manufacturers have scaled back their sales forces, I have come to rely on my own research to guide my buying decisions. Since the reduced sales force has been the trend for years, I have had plenty of time to develop my research skills. By observing what camera brand manufacturers produce and release, by watching the current inventory from a company slowly fluctuate with availability and pricing, by paricipating in more forum discussion than is humanly healthy, by watching import/export trends, by hanging out in virtual patent offices, by befriending folks in the imaging industry whose job capacity has them much closer to the source of product than anyone in this forum...AND having a enough of my research yield accurate results that the little store where I work (Camera Craft, Inc. in Rockford, IL) to not only survive, but to actually grow during a time when camera stores are declining.

You won't need to worry about not shopping in the store where I work since we are separated by such a vast distance. However the squat I know has been to the benefit of many here and in the store. By the way, had I put my post in the actual Pentax News section of Pentaxforums.com, I would certainly anticipate the sort of response you post. Since I posted in the RUMORS section, I figured I would be a little safe from such hostility.

By the way, the type of lenses I suggested are coming, and are not coming, were not revealed to me by my magic 8 ball.
05-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It seems to me that it is that period of time again when one has to point out that rumours are rumours, not facts. We never truly *knows* before it has been officially announced and released. Until then, it can be more or less likely.
Pentax works on many projects. Some gets released, some does not.
Saying "I won't shop there" because you can't get rumours confirmed as facts from a shop clerk... well. Odd to me.

05-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
the little store where I work (Camera Craft, Inc. in Rockford, IL) to not only survive, but to actually grow during a time when camera stores are declining.

You won't need to worry about not shopping in the store where I work since we are separated by such a vast distance.
Actually, it's a hop skip and a jump from where I grew up in Fox Lake, Il

My sister lives in Rockford now. Works for the PD. I'm there once a year anyway, to visit family when traveling on business.

I'll go back to what you wrote, with an air of authority, at least that is how I perceived it, you said

QuoteQuote:
While we can expect some very nice lens introductions over the next quarter or so, don't expect this one to be replaced.
Which I should have seen as a blanket statement meaning that just like the rest of us, you are hoping for good things at Photkina.

Again, my apologies. I assumed you knew what you were talking about.
05-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #21

I will repeat this until I go blue, I would really like a WR version of the 55-300. Hope Hoyapentax is listening.
05-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #22

same here. 55-300 wanted!

05-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Local Pentax store

Daks,
What is the name of your local store that sells Pentax? Are they any good? There aren't many out there. Thanks.
05-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #24
Forum Member

whatever may be the case, looks like everyone is interested in WR lenses. For me it is absolutely great if Pentax releases WR version of 55-300, as it directly means a lot of space and weight savings. I regularly go for treks and I can really use a WR 55-300 apart from 50 mm macro WR.
05-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Eagle:
The local store here in the Washington, DC area that sells Pentax is

Ace Photo
44710 Cape Ct.
Suite 122
Ashburn , VA , 20147 United States
703-430-3333

They keep a good selection of lens in-house, and I've found the staff to be quite knowledgeable about Pentax too.

It is a large shop with a gread selection of bags and other accessories.

Their web site is acephoto.net.

David