Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
[L]?

I'm not trying to start a rumour or anything... but does anyone have any idea between the connection of the [L] from the MZ-L

And the Panasonic DMC-ZS7/DMC-TZ10?

I'm not sure.... It COULD be just me though...

Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 05-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
05-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't seem like a connection at all. One is almost 20 years newer than the other, and the letter has a different shape if you look closely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
I'm not trying to start a rumour or anything... but does anyone have any idea between the connection of the [L] from the MZ-L

And the Panasonic DMC-ZS7/DMC-TZ10?

I'm not sure.... It COULD be just me though...
I looked through a massive list of available fonts for the limited number of letters and found many fonts that have a very similar look to this L. As a former font guru and designer, maybe Ned Bunnell could weigh in as to whether this is coincidence or if Panasonic and Pentax have some deeper connection.
05-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
I looked through a massive list of available fonts for the limited number of letters and found many fonts that have a very similar look to this L. As a former font guru and designer, maybe Ned Bunnell could weigh in as to whether this is coincidence or if Panasonic and Pentax have some deeper connection.
I'm not a font guru ;/. Might just be a coincidence... but as soon as I saw this camera MZ-L popped up in my mind. It would have been more connected if it was Samsung, but it isn't ;/.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Doesn't seem like a connection at all. One is almost 20 years newer than the other, and the letter has a different shape if you look closely.
Umm maybe at the bottom left? that's the only possible difference I see.

05-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not a font guru ;/. Might just be a coincidence... but as soon as I saw this camera MZ-L popped up in my mind. It would have been more connected if it was Samsung, but it isn't ;/.

Umm maybe at the bottom left? that's the only possible difference I see.
[L] is for Leica. It's been on various Lumix cameras for sometime.
05-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
[L] is for Leica. It's been on various Lumix cameras for sometime.
I think that the L is for Lumix, i have a Panasonic camera that is a Lumix and it does not have a Leica lens on it.
05-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote
I think that the L is for Lumix, i have a Panasonic camera that is a Lumix and it does not have a Leica lens on it.
Oh you're right! it's on ALL of the cameras... except for one of the series in the compact camera selection. The FPs (1,2, and 3).

;/.. but why this L? why not a simple block lettered one like the one in the Lumix name?

05-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh you're right! it's on ALL of the cameras... except for one of the series in the compact camera selection. The FPs (1,2, and 3).

;/.. but why this L? why not a simple block lettered one like the one in the Lumix name?
Because it's for Leica. I'm posting from my phone, so I don't have access to a link that supports that statement-- I'm sure a quick Google search will pull up Panasonic's explaination of the "L"
05-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because it's for Leica. I'm posting from my phone, so I don't have access to a link that supports that statement-- I'm sure a quick Google search will pull up Panasonic's explaination of the "L"
Hmm... I can't seem to find one atm.. ;/. I'm not really sure what to search too.
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let's not forget the SMC Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Special!

05-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
As a former font guru and designer, maybe Ned Bunnell could weigh in as to whether this is coincidence or if Panasonic and Pentax have some deeper connection.
Maybe he's just sent the vat-grown, highly-trained, highly-lethal, highly-expendable corporate ninjas out to Panasonic's US HQ to show what Pentax does to copyright thieves.

Or at least the Pentax winged monkeys.
05-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #12

It seems that there was a link between Pentax and Leica indeed. As Asahiflex from Germany posted the pic of his legendary 43mm f/1.9 lens (I wish I had that lens), this is what I found out about it:

"This Lens was manufactured for Leica-L mounts in Year 2000 by PENTAX. Only 2000 units were manufactured", and hence the words "Limited" or "Special". "It is the only Lens for which Pentax ever created for other Camera-Mount."

"The Optical Designer of the lens is a Legend Optical Designer, Jun Hirakawa in Japan. Optical system Design is the same as famous K-mount Lens FA43mm f1.9 Limited Lens".

I am not a professional photographer, nor am I an Optics Engineer, but it is said that the Pentax 43mm f/1.9 and Canon's recent 50mm f1.8 were the sharpest lenses ever made for optical use.
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Canon 50/1.8? Is there a new version? If so, not difficult to do better than previous ones I was told (and specifically say so because I have no data personally to confirm this).
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

i googled but could not find any info on that and it didn't even say it on wikipedia. can you find the link
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

OH! My! God!
IT'S LEICA!

L is for Leica - se their logo (they have two - L and Leica).