Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice little review of K-x on "Toms Guide"

"Toms Guide" is part of the "Tom's Hardware" family. Originally, the parent site was about computer parts, they reviewed mother boards, memory, cpu chips and the like (they still do). "Toms Guide is a techon spin off reviewing all sorts of electronics. Anyway they posted a pretty glowing mini review of the K-x.
linky here:
Pentax K-x Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera : Quick Looks: HTC Incredible and More

NaCl(looks like the K-x is getting good press even from Nikon owners)H2O

05-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
"Toms Guide" is part of the "Tom's Hardware" family. Originally, the parent site was about computer parts, they reviewed mother boards, memory, cpu chips and the like (they still do). "Toms Guide is a techon spin off reviewing all sorts of electronics. Anyway they posted a pretty glowing mini review of the K-x.
linky here:
Pentax K-x Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera : Quick Looks: HTC Incredible and More

NaCl(looks like the K-x is getting good press even from Nikon owners)H2O
Hey, Salty - just curioius: did you pick up a K-x and - if you've got one - what do you think? I've considered one as a travel camera. I like a travel kit that is as light as possible, and a K-x with two or three of my DA Limiteds would be just the ticket.

Anyway, hope you're doing well, my friend.

Jer
05-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jer

Haven't YET but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a white one. I'd get the green if it was available for the reduced price of the original color editions. With my kind of luck the price on the green will drop 5 seconds after I get my white one. Even if I wait two months. And I agree, it would make a perfect travel camera. I even got some "found" (inheritance) money that could go to it, unfortunately I need a new-to-me flute too, my old beloved Armstrong has finally, after almost 50 years of playing, gotten to the point where it doesn't make financial sense to repad, respring, and re-cork it. But that's another storey. Maybe I'll figure out a way to spring for both.

NaCl(but then I'll be too broke to travel with my new travel camera!)H2O
05-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Jer

Haven't YET but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a white one. I'd get the green if it was available for the reduced price of the original color editions. With my kind of luck the price on the green will drop 5 seconds after I get my white one. Even if I wait two months. And I agree, it would make a perfect travel camera. I even got some "found" (inheritance) money that could go to it, unfortunately I need a new-to-me flute too, my old beloved Armstrong has finally, after almost 50 years of playing, gotten to the point where it doesn't make financial sense to repad, respring, and re-cork it. But that's another storey. Maybe I'll figure out a way to spring for both.

I have the white one and it is really a very nice camera, very non threatening (for street shooting). Of course I recommend you to have the magic duo - K7/K-x

05-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the white K-x as an emergency solution when my laptop died while I was reading a manuscript across the pond. The guty next to me was happily shooting away with his GF1.

I went to the central square of Arras, France, found a K-x for a very reasonable price and knew 1) it would take my Pentax lenses, 4 M-ones at that time and 9 645 ones; 2)and that it was good at high ISO.

It worked as advertised. Very good travel company. But I found out that my 645 lenses blew the 35mm lenses out of the water (via the 645 to K adapter). Now that was unexpected! Still, nice camera. No regrets whatsoever. I do wish I had pancake lenses for easy travelling with it. The 645 is large (though mouth-watering).
05-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi Jer

Hey, buddy, I knew you had a couple of saxes, but didn't know you play flute, as well. You're a multi-talented guy, for sure.

Jer
05-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
I have the white one and it is really a very nice camera, very non threatening (for street shooting). Of course I recommend you to have the magic duo - K7/K-x
I keep eyeing that K7, but my K20D is not yet 18 months old so I'm holding out for the the "K-8" (which is not unlike what I said about my K10D a month before I bought the K20).

Jer
05-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, buddy, I knew you had a couple of saxes, but didn't know you play flute, as well. You're a multi-talented guy, for sure.

Jer
One of the things I want to do when I retire is to take some quality keyboard lessons. I can "plink" a little but I'd like to learn to play like Bob Thompson or maybe even Otis Spann (well, at least get a littler closer than I am now)
Woodwinds are fun and all and you don't have to learn lyrics if you play them But I'd like to play more than one note at the same time.

NaCl(flute and sax and clarinet and oboe and bassoon are fine, but I really want to honk on a Hammond B3 with some big Leslies)H2O

05-29-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I keep eyeing that K7, but my K20D is not yet 18 months old so I'm holding out for the the "K-8" (which is not unlike what I said about my K10D a month before I bought the K20).

Jer
That is exactly my plan. And I got my K20D less than a month before the news of the K-7 came out. I was waiting and waiting for news of a new body and the price point of the K-20D kept dropping and I finally said what the heck. So three weeks later..."K-7 COMING SOON!" Gah!
So this time I going to wait till the new model is announced. Besides, like you, I'm pretty happy with the K20D. More so than I was with the K10D.

NaCl(every other model is a good upgrade strategy)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 05-29-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: spelling :(
05-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

One of the things I want to do when I retire is to take some quality keyboard lessons. I can "plink" a little but I'd like to learn to play like Bob Thompson or maybe even Otis Spann (well, at least get a littler closer than I am now)
Woodwinds are fun and all and you don't have to learn lyrics if you play them But I'd like to play more than one note at the same time.

NaCl(flute and sax and clarinet and oboe and bassoon are fine, but I really want to honk on a Hammond B3 with some big Leslies)H2O
I always loved the B-3 and I have stacks CD's from Jimmy Smith, Larry Goldings, Joey DeFrancesco, Jack McDuff, et. al.

A couple of years ago, I "upgraded" my Korg CX-3 Hammond emulator with Hammonds XK-3c organ and a small Leslie 21 - which will knock the walls out of a small room. This one-manual Hammond has basically the same drivers as the current B-3, but of course costs far less and stacks neatly between my other two keyboards. I'm a plinker for sure, but jamming around a few simple chord changes gives me hours of pleasure.

Jer
06-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I always loved the B-3 and I have stacks CD's from Jimmy Smith, Larry Goldings, Joey DeFrancesco, Jack McDuff, et. al.

A couple of years ago, I "upgraded" my Korg CX-3 Hammond emulator with Hammonds XK-3c organ and a small Leslie 21 - which will knock the walls out of a small room. This one-manual Hammond has basically the same drivers as the current B-3, but of course costs far less and stacks neatly between my other two keyboards. I'm a plinker for sure, but jamming around a few simple chord changes gives me hours of pleasure.

Jer
Sounds like you are a bit past me. I've a keyboard, a yamaha "learner" type model that is in the back of a closet. I unfortunately don't have time right now. Also I learned that I'm not terribly good at learning from computer lessons. Retirement isn't too far away now (6 yrs) and I'll definitely be taking lessons then. I doubt I'll be able to afford a B3 but in 6 yrs a lot can change. I also know a bunch of ppl at Steinway, and maybe a small upright is in the future.

NaCl(but some keyboard for sure)H2O