Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hoya founder's grandson calls Pentax acquisition a failure

Hoya Founder's Grandson Calls Pentax Acquisition `Failure,' Seeks Reforms - Bloomberg

05-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you read beyond the first paragraph, the reason it was a "failure" in the eyes of this 33 yr old (which probably doesn't mean much in the japanese business world) is that it was overpriced.
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

the 33 year old is walking a very thin line with the proposals he is recommending.

Good Luck.
05-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Call me new-fashioned, but I fail to see how being descended from the founder makes you qualified.

Eh, Jamie Packer? Eh?

05-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And I, son of my father, think it was an Epic Win for Pentax.
It's doom vanished and we have new approach in cameras design (K-m, K-7, K-x)
05-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He got free press because of his relations.
There are 2 ways to look at it:
1) The guy is not linked to Hoya-Pentax business-wise. He's an intellectual and political, business reformist. In support of this:
-He doesn't hold a position at Hoya
-Twitter page (translated): Google Translate
-Blogger page (translated): Google Translate

2) He's acting as a proxy for another party (unlikely)
In support of this: nothing

Last edited by MrPetkus; 05-27-2010 at 09:10 AM.
05-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
If you read beyond the first paragraph, the reason it was a "failure" in the eyes of this 33 yr old (which probably doesn't mean much in the japanese business world) is that it was overpriced.
Exactly!

To the OP: Why didn't you read before you posted? Please, ask Adam to rename the thread into "Hoya Founder's Grandson Calls Pentax Acquisition `Overprized'".

Thanks.

05-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Exactly!

To the OP: Why didn't you read before you posted? Please, ask Adam to rename the thread into "Hoya Founder's Grandson Calls Pentax Acquisition `Overprized'".

Thanks.
Uh, I did read it Mr. Falconeye. That's what the Bloomberg article I referenced is titled.

I'm posting news in the news forum. It doesn't reflect my opinion. Or was that not obvious?
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
He submitted a "shareholder proposal" so is a qualified holder of stock. Likely he holds a substantial amount of stock, enough to get this type of press, or he's acting as a spokesperson with some historical gravitas for other shareholders. The latter is most likely as shareholder proposals usually have legal vetting. It's not unusual in Japan for founding families of corporations to have substantial holdings.

Strategically, it's all about the money. Overpriced could be synonymous with stupid, or "a balance sheet mistake".

What's critical for Pentaxians is what is in the proposal because it sounds like it's shaking up corporate relations a bit in how usually stoic Japanese companies usually take no guff from their shareholders.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
He got free press because of his relations.
There are 2 ways to look at it:
1) The guy is not linked to Hoya-Pentax business-wise. He's an intellectual and political, business reformist. In support of this:
-He doesn't hold a position at Hoya
-Twitter page (translated): Google Translate
-Blogger page (translated): Google Translate

2) He's acting as a proxy for another party (unlikely)
In support of this: nothing
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Someone had better explain this one to me because after reading the whole thing I don't get why he considers it a failure at all. If I am reading this article correctly Pentax made a decent profit over operating costs in a bad global recession. This is BAD?
05-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

which person wouldnt be mad having paid more when could have paid less.

what he`s saying and intent on doing is bound to ruffle feathers not to mention outright opposition.

I believe thats why the first line had his grandfather mentioned to provide some leverage for support to his camp.
05-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're right about him being a shareholder, likely of considerable value. No doubt money is the primary motivator. Though it is unclear if he is indeed a proxy or his proposal is a referendum on Japanese corporate policy as practiced by Hoya. He's not a fanboy of the status quo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
He submitted a "shareholder proposal" so is a qualified holder of stock. Likely he holds a substantial amount of stock, enough to get this type of press, or he's acting as a spokesperson with some historical gravitas for other shareholders. The latter is most likely as shareholder proposals usually have legal vetting. It's not unusual in Japan for founding families of corporations to have substantial holdings.

Strategically, it's all about the money. Overpriced could be synonymous with stupid, or "a balance sheet mistake".

What's critical for Pentaxians is what is in the proposal because it sounds like it's shaking up corporate relations a bit in how usually stoic Japanese companies usually take no guff from their shareholders.
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hoya Founder's Grandson Calls Pentax Acquisition `Failure,' Seeks Reforms

Bloombergs article is titled:

05-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can read!
This may be the last time I post a news piece if members are going to act infantile.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Bloombergs article is titled:

05-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax seems to be doing very well with its new line of cameras. Lenses are also selling. This seems to be another complaint about differing business philosophys. Make a short term killing and quick bucks for the shareholders or long term steady profits from a respected brand name which has been expanding its market share with well received new models in spite of a worldwide recession.