Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also in the article are the words "after Pentax became profitable" meaning the division is no longer a liability. There remain two big questions:

1) Are both the medical division and camera divisions profitable?
2) Was Pentax simply an investment they planned to flip? (That's what the grandson's words sound like to me: "If we'd paid less we could have sold it by now.")

Finally, now that they own Pentax they could not only sell it (as a whole) - they could SPLIT it and sell part of it. If the camera division is losing money with no end in sight, any amount of money would be a good offer. Then the question becomes:

Is the buyer planning on simply killing the brand to eliminate a competitor? Or if buying the company as a whole, are they simply after the medical division and will kill the camera division as a business decision?

I think Hoya's axing the warranty operations in Europe point toward an End of Life for the Pentax camera brand, unless a buyer comes along that wants to keep/rescue the brand.

I also think 645D production is also window dressing to make Pentax (and the camera division) more attractive to a potential buyer of the company or division. It is something the other major maker's don't have in their lineup.

05-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grandson owns a Canon/Nikon so of course he will say Hoya over paid for Pentax.
05-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #33
Pentaxian

From the article:
QuoteQuote:
The company’s initial offer for Pentax in 2006 was about 10 percent higher than its market value at the time.
So obviously, even now that Pentax has become profitable, it will take a long time to recuperate from that. In particular, if you only have 1% of shares like the grandson, you'd want the company to be even more profitable.

Sad to see someone talking purely from a money generating perspective, apparantly ignoring the fact that a great brand has been saved from becoming extinct and continues to offer great products in a very competitive field.
05-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
No, I don't think so. It's about a man's quest, acting alone or collaboratively, to change the complexion of Hoya. I agree that Bloomberg's title is stupid because it doesn't reflect the story's content. However, it's not my job to paraphrase or censor the story's title in order to mollify delicate Pentaxians.
The real story here is that 3 institutional investors own more than 50% of Hoya. That's never good. They can behave like vulture funds if need be and break up a company real fast, brands and customers be darned.

05-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The real story here is that 3 institutional investors own more than 50% of Hoya. That's never good. They can behave like vulture funds if need be and break up a company real fast, brands and customers be darned.
There are lots of stories here. All in all a rather interesting piece for analysis and dissection.
05-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

sounds like a estranged grandson trying to buy the company back from evil multi-national financial empire.
05-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #37
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Is the buyer planning on simply killing the brand to eliminate a competitor?
That's a very rare occurrence.

Even if Nikon or Canon bought it, there's no reason for either to simply kill it.

05-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #38
Pentaxian

What else would they do? Divert resources from their own (very successful) systems, in order to promote the Pentax K-mount? I don't think so. Canon, Nikon or Sony - they would buy Pentax only to kill it.
However, I hope no one seriously think that Pentax will be sold to Canon/Nikon/Sony... it's very doubtful it will be sold at all.
05-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That's a very rare occurrence.

Even if Nikon or Canon bought it, there's no reason for either to simply kill it.
The financial costs associated with acquiring a non-failing brand to simply kill it far outweighs the potential benefits. This just isn't done.
05-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #40
Forum Member

Even if Canon buy the brand just to kill it, it doesn't seems to bring any benefit to them. Acquisition of an asset is seen as an investment and buying something and throwing it away isn't a justifiable investment decision. They'll be damned if I'm the major investor.
06-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #41
Pentaxian

That's exactly my point. Buying Pentax and supporting the K-mount system doesn't make sense, buying Pentax and killing the K-mount system doesn't make sense either.
I can't understand why some people desperately hope Pentax will be sold (to whom doesn't seem so important), and launch such rumors. Is it hope they'll have the resources to go after Canon and Nikon? Is it just that "the sky is falling"?
06-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #42
Site Supporter

You guys fail to realize that its possible to buy up a company and sell it off piecemeal either partially or entirely and make money off of the deal. Those chemical company example I posted earlier or one example. However, I also said that Canon missed its chance to do this ~ 3 or 4 years ago.

Edit: Kunzite, I don't know why you think some of us want Pentax to be sold.
06-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #43
Pentaxian

It's just that we keep hearing such rumors, and tons of "hey, who will buy Pentax next" discussions. Rumors like the newest one on Photorumors (Canon and Sony fighting over Pentax) were started by someone, right?
Glancing on the internet it looks like Hoya is set to sell Pentax asap. But is this actually true? I think Hoya is serious about Pentax, they're trying to build a future for them, instead of just increasing their market value (in order to sell them for a higher price).

Why would one want Pentax to be sold, I've explained in my previous post: it could be hope that a big company with huge resources would take better care of them, than Hoya is currently doing. Of course, is one thing to wish for something and quite another to spread rumors about it.

Please keep in mind (I should had been more clear about this, my apologies) that I wasn't referring to Pentaxforums. Unless some of us are making up such rumors, which I seriously doubt.
06-03-2010, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #44

Sorry, but I wasn't aware that Hoya was doing a poor job with Pentax. It's hard to imagine a company doing better with a brand - Hoya is turning Pentax into a brand that innovates and differentiates. It also seems to be giving Pentax plenty of resources to develop new and awesome products.

I think some people always want to predict doom and gloom, even when there is no good evidence for it. This guy is a relative, not someone who is actually involved in any significant way with Pentax. Why should we even listen to him? Pentax has put out 3 excellent, potentially industry-changing cameras since the Hoya acquisition, and they are generating more buzz than ever before. Profits are there and mindshare is way up - unless we've got something other than the opinion of some whiny Japanese guy to go off of, I'm not going to be losing any sleep.
06-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Sorry, but I wasn't aware that Hoya was doing a poor job with Pentax.
IMO, they aren't - not at all. But some may think they're not moving fast enough.