Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PopPhoto gives K10D award

Editor's Choice 2007: Advanced DSLRs - - PopPhotoJuly/August 2007

The K10D gets the Editor's Choice 2007: Advanced DSLRs award and the
Sony Alpha gets the Editor's Choice 2007: Entry-Level DSLRs award

If you page down to the bottom of the Editor's Choice 2007: Professional DSLRs award the K100D is listed as the most popular.

I have no idea as to how respectable this publication is but those are interesting awards.

08-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I don't know much about PopPhoto either, but the accolades just keep rolling in for the K10D. I don't know if anyone has done a survey as to the number of awards this camera has won, but it must be impressive.

NaCl(and if I stopped buying lenses, I might be able to afford one)H2O
08-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It would make a great ad

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well, I don't know much about PopPhoto either, but the accolades just keep rolling in for the K10D. I don't know if anyone has done a survey as to the number of awards this camera has won, but it must be impressive.

What a great idea for an ad. List all the awards.

Hay Ben! You out there? Might be worth suggesting it to Pentax next time you talk with them.

Regards,

Ken
08-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

I find it kind of weird, since Pop Photo's review of the K10D was not exactly "gushing". It makes me wonder why they marked down the K10D when they did their 5 camera shoot-out. It's just... weird.

(The cynic would say all those Pentax ad dollars are starting to have their desired editorial effect.)

08-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

They just can't ignore Pentax anymore, "slowly" but SURELY, Pentax is coming back with a vengeance. Being the only dslr in the top 10 in Japan digital camera sales and being the new kid on the block, the K10 with the K100 are making a lot of waves to the photographers that are more keen to the quality and knowledge of the products rather than just following what the advetisement tells them. Myself being only a photography hobbyist, I went to great details before I bought my K100. I am not a pro wannabe and even if I am a pro, "whatever that means", Iwill still stay with Pentax for the sole reason I know that I won't be paying big $$$ for big pages of advertising to justify that " pro image".

Cheers,

Rene R
08-05-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great...

A well deserved and merited award!
08-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The magazine is probably one of the oldest publications in North America concerning photography. I have been a subscriber since the early 80s. I have found their reviews to be sensible, just and not biased. You can usually take what they say for face value.

Now, it is true that Pentax is gaining. They were very late to the digital scene, especially so with a DSLR. They lost a lot of people because of this (myself included as I still shoot Canon).

With that said, the local photography store cannot keep the K100, and the K10in stock. They sell faster then anything else on the shelf...and the guy is a dyed in the wool Nikon user who could get you Canon and other gear, but he would have had to order it as most of his on site stock was Nikon. EVEN he is thinking of getting a K10D. If you knew this guy, that is heavy praise indeed lol
08-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
HAha so true. haha

08-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter

not Pop Photo

QuoteQuote:
The magazine (Pop Photo) is probably one of the oldest publications in North America concerning photography.
QuoteQuote:
I find it kind of weird, since Pop Photo's review of the K10D was not exactly "gushing".
Actually, this ranking is not by Pop Photo's editors - it is in the magazine American Photo (published by Pop Photo and posted on their web site), and, sorry, but it is old news. It also explains the contradiction with Pop Photo's review.
08-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Editor's Choice 2007: Advanced DSLRs - - PopPhotoJuly/August 2007

The K10D gets the Editor's Choice 2007: Advanced DSLRs award and the
Sony Alpha gets the Editor's Choice 2007: Entry-Level DSLRs award
Nice

I had read about it, but hadn't found the direct link
08-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
(snip) I have no idea as to how respectable this publication is but those are interesting awards.

Popular Photography & Imaging magazine, informally Popular Photography or just Pop Photo, was founded in 1937, making it one of the nation's oldest photo publications. It's also the world's largest photo magazine, with a total audience of well over two million and an editorial staff reported to be twice the size of its nearest competitor. The company also owns American Photo, a magazine focusing mainly on technique for photojournalism to modeling photography.

stewart