Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #46

Just out of curiosity, are there technical limitations that would prevent Canon or Sony from supporting two mounts on one body if they were to acquire the IP? (i.e., could Canon theoretically build a body that allows you to attach both Canon and Pentax lenses with full AF, etc.?)

Even if it is possible, it is clearly a terrible idea due to the added complexity, but is there a more or less insurmountable barrier (e.g., different mount sizes or the pins would interfere or something like that)?

Thanks.
Bob

06-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO it would prevent mounting certain lenses, probably canon lens which mount is bigger so the pentax mount would get in the way.
06-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by likescookies Quote
Just out of curiosity, are there technical limitations that would prevent Canon or Sony from supporting two mounts on one body if they were to acquire the IP? (i.e., could Canon theoretically build a body that allows you to attach both Canon and Pentax lenses with full AF, etc.?)

Even if it is possible, it is clearly a terrible idea due to the added complexity, but is there a more or less insurmountable barrier (e.g., different mount sizes or the pins would interfere or something like that)?

Thanks.
Bob
The Canon mount registration distance is shorter than the Pentax version. This would add to the complexity. You could not, somehow, make a single mount that would accept both Canon and Pentax lenses. The mount has to be moved a few mm closer to the sensor when mounting Canon lenses.

I agree, that, even if possible, its a terrible idea. There would be precious little demand for such a dual-mount camera. They would be more likely to make two versions of essentially identical cameras; one with the Canon mount and one with the Pentax mount. Even that is not a great idea.

I seriously doubt this rumor for several reasons. First, Pentax is profitable. For this reason, Hoya is not going to sell it at fire sale prices. Canon or Sony would have to pay a premium price for it. Secondly, even though Pentax is profitable, it is no threat to Canon, and probably little threat to Sony.

Why would either want to buy Pentax, in order to remove a very small thorn from their side? There is no guarantee, whatsoever, that very many current Pentax users would automatically switch to Canon or Sony, so such a purchase might help Nikon as much as it helps the buyer. Personally, I would probably be more likely to buy a Nikon than a Canon. To me, the idea that they would buy Pentax for its user base is ludicrous.

I also question the notion that either Canon or Sony covets any patents owned by Pentax/Hoya. What patents would those be? Canon seems committed to in-lens image stabilization, so Pentax' in-camera shake reduction holds little value to them. Sony has their own in-camera stabilization. In fact, they've done it for full-frame, which many said was impossible. Pentax auto-focus system is widely considered to be one of that company's weakest points. The Pentax flash system?
06-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Read somewhere once that Canon & Nikon actually use some of the Pentax patents to build their in lens stabilization. According to the article Pentax had many patents on IS. They merely decided to use inbody IS. They could have gone the other way.

Pentax has a lot of lens patents. The site I saw had them listed for more than Canon & Nikon combined. It was amzing to see.

Who knows what else Pentax may have - heck they might not even know the significance. Years ago it took Olympus to finish and popularize Minolta's TTL flash. That was pretty important for film cameras.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #31 in compact camera forum. Enter #32. Any brand camera. Enter now!

06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Read somewhere once that Canon & Nikon actually use some of the Pentax patents to build their in lens stabilization. According to the article Pentax had many patents on IS. They merely decided to use inbody IS. They could have gone the other way.
I'm wondering what sort of patents Pentax holds on TTL AF and if Nikon and Canon use 'em...
08-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I can imagine Sony is interested in Pentax
- I can imagine Canon buying Pentax just to prevent Sony from doing it

Canon (or Sony) could just continue to use the Pentax name and mount and they could have them develop in different directions as well.
- E.g. Pentax for Outdoor
- Versus Canon for professional full frame

In these things 1 + 1 should become larger than the two seperated.
- But I think it makes more sense if Sony would buy Pentax, less overlap, more synergy (Sony P&S with movies, Pentax DSLR & lenses (cheaper than Zeiss)).
08-22-2010, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

For sure you can imagine a lot of things
It doesn't make sense for me, i.e. Canon confusing it's customers by suddenly having another brand and it's incompatible system in their portfolio. Nor Sony switching to Pentax, when their DSLRs are not that successful.
What would be the message, "we failed but we'll try again"? "What we're doing is not good enough, so we had to buy another company"? "Our own mount is not adequate, let's use another"? At least, Canon is far from failing - and Sony wouldn't ever admit it.
No, the only reason such company would buy Pentax is to kill it - but they can't afford to. It won't happen, period.
08-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For sure you can imagine a lot of things
It doesn't make sense for me, i.e. Canon confusing it's customers by suddenly having another brand and it's incompatible system in their portfolio. Nor Sony switching to Pentax, when their DSLRs are not that successful.
What would be the message, "we failed but we'll try again"? "What we're doing is not good enough, so we had to buy another company"? "Our own mount is not adequate, let's use another"? At least, Canon is far from failing - and Sony wouldn't ever admit it.
No, the only reason such company would buy Pentax is to kill it - but they can't afford to. It won't happen, period.
Not to mention, whether they could afford to or not, why bother? As you said, the only good reason would be to kill the brand, but it's not like Pentax is stealing a significant number of either company's sales.

08-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Canon could buy it, without Joe-average noticing it - But I agree it doesn't make much sense.

For Sony it would give them a much stronger position towards Zeiss, if needed with Pentax they can develop their own high quality lenses. Also there, the brand Pentax doesn't have to vanish. With their gaming industry, I think it would a smart to buy Pentax, it enables them to match sensor, optics with the whole package.

In a lot of shop things with different brands actually come from the same company, just to have share at different segments of the market.
08-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At least this shows that Pentax is finally becoming somewhat of a threat to Canon, which they should have been a long time ago in the digital era. BTW, Pentax was already bought by Hoya and I don't think Canon would be able to buy them even if they wanted.
Canon did want to purchase Pentax outright but failed. 20% loss of Canon against Pentax how much mush loss is for Nikon and Sony.

It like whoever gets Pentax will be the Champion kind of thing.

But Pentax is here to stay and will continue with business as it is. Slowly but surely it will get there. (Careful Planning).
09-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #56
Forum Member

I'd hate to see Pentax going to Canikony. But the new technology, new lenses blah blah ... mmm artificial sandwhich spread. Maybe I'll sell my gear and buy some sandwhiches.
09-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since this is an extremely speculative (and revived) thread, I'll be extremely speculative.

Pentax, despite having a short list of lenses available, offers lenses unavailable in any other mount: fast focusing, corner-to-corner sharp, pancake lenses. These lenses--and, perhaps more importantly, the engineers behind these lenses--would be valuable to another company.

Pentax also has extremely cost-competitive camera bodies: except for being hamstrung by the Samsung sensor, the K-7 is phenomenal. And the K-x has been selling like wildfire, especially when considering its lack of marketing outside of Japan.

Pentax has gone from dying to profitable under Hoya. And, curiously, Hoya's latest financial statement (3 months ending 30 June) did not break down the industry segments are specifically as previously (see, e.g., 3 months ending 31 March). Pentax, in the 3 months ending 31 March, accounted for 24.7% of Hoya's net sales. Something could be read into that: perhaps Hoya doesn't want competitors to know where Pentax is. Which might imply that others are interesting in purchasing Pentax.

Who would want to purchase Pentax? Well, I see Sony as benefiting the most. I can see Sony exiting the DSLR market, focusing on compacts and EVILs, while giving the Pentax brand its 135-frame technology. Whether Sony then chooses to alienate alpha- or K- mount users is up for discussion, although only ego would keep the alpha-mount (as K-mount is dominant in relative market share) (alternatively, since K-mount has a larger registration distance, alpha- could be adapted to K-). Then if Pentax fails, Sony could simply say that DSLRs failed generally--while still using the small-lens technology on its EVIL cameras.

That said, a more realistic scenario (and more desirable to me) is that Sony trades some of its 135-frame technology with Pentax for some small-lens technology and design. I could see Pentax forswearing EVILs (pun intended; like I said, a speculative post) while Sony abandons DSLRs. Pentax then focuses on APS-C sensors as their compact cameras, building larger-sensor markets (67, anyone? Sony might be on board).

Canon's entire branding philosophy runs contrary to what I see in Pentax--and why I love Pentax. The philosophy needs to be at least compatible if the businesses don't intersect entirely. And Canon could develop compact lenses, if that's what they wanted, for far less than it would cost to buy Pentax.

Unless Pentax is truly magical. Which sometimes I think it might be.