Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

Because it doesn't make any kind of sense. Firstly, Canon isn't remotely worried about Sonys position in the DSLR market as it is worse than Pentax and far less profitable. Nikon is the only one making any impact on Canons DSLR's.
Secondly, for Sony to buy Pentax would be a manifestation that buying Minolta was a flop. How would they get access to Pentax user base? Are they going to sell two separate DSLR systems? Isn't their ill conceived DSLR line-up chaotic enough as it is?
Thirdly. Canon is no way interested in Pentax. They don't need them. Canon spending $1 billion in order to remove a "competitor" that hardly figures on the sales charts is ridiculous.
I think you missed the point. Its an age old strategy to buy smaller companies and shut them down, phase them out etc. They would have bought Pentax for that reason.

05-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think you missed the point. Its an age old strategy to buy smaller companies and shut them down, phase them out etc. They would have bought Pentax for that reason.
For one billion dollars? Can you imagine what that amount of money spent into R&D for DSLR's instead could have done? Not to mention the bad PR such a stunt, untypical for a Japanese company, would have provided.
Shutting down Pentax would have no impact on Canon DSLR's sales and would have been an immense waste of money.
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
For one billion dollars? Can you imagine what that amount of money spent into R&D for DSLR's instead could have done? Not to mention the bad PR such a stunt, untypical for a Japanese company, would have provided.
Shutting down Pentax would have no impact on Canon DSLR's sales and would have been an immense waste of money.
I'm not sure that was the sale price for Pentax, but it included the medical unit which could be assimilate or divested for cash. The could also part out other aspects. This sort of corporate raiding is done all the time. The chemical companies are a prime example.

Examples: Sygenta assimilated Zeneca etc.; Bayer assimilated Aventis CropScience but were forced to divest certain products in the U.S. and Canada to prevent potential "monopoloy" of neonicitinoid insecticides. That industry is full of these sort of examples over the past 20+ years, especially the last 10+.

Edit: That's a major strategy to deal with situations like this.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/102687-hoya-patent-application-numbers-past-8-years.html

Edit: Edit: Another example is the automotive industry throughout the 20th Century.

Last edited by Blue; 05-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
05-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry this has to be a load of b.s.

I can see that Canon or Sony would have wanted to purchase Pentax when it was on the ropes, maybe.

But now with Pentax pulling a profit and Hoya holding on.. and Pentax continuing to grow this year stronger and stronger, no way. Hoya won't let a company go that is pulling profit. That doesn't make any sense.

Pentax deserves to win out. I'm certainly doing my best to help them along.

C

05-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #20

isn't this the point where this thread and the thread about hoya's grandson calling the pentax acquisition a failure converge? kind of two facets of a rumor re pentax' uncertain future. probably further fueled by other reported remarks by hoya reps to the effect that pentax needs a partner. hopefully photokina will help either quash such rumors or find the right partner.
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If Canon bought Pentax, I'd go Olympus. The wife already has an investment in that brand. If that for some reason wasn't an option I'd go Nikon anyday before I go Canon.
05-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Some more news about this topic-
Hoya Founder’s Grandson Seeks Board Transparency, Diversity - BusinessWeek

05-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
There is a already a thread devoted to that article.
05-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

But maybe Sony and Pentax could benefit from closer cooperation?

Pentax used Sony sensor techology again in the K-x, and with tremendous success (btw. K-x is rising again on bcnranking.jp sales numbers last week). Pentax seems to get more out of Sony's sensors than they do themselves, and seems to be stronger on lens development (at least if you exclude Carl Zeiss from the Sony equation). It may well be that both companies could benefit from some degree of technology exchange.

Just speculating...
05-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Oh and I thought Sony decided to stop DSLR by year end... (yep, another wild rumor).
05-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about Canon, but there is no way that Sony wants Pentax, particularly not for the tiny chance of picking up market share. Sony's SLR division is bleeding right now and buying a relatively small company like Pentax, shutting it down would boost Sony sales minimally. Why would K mount folks go to Sony?

Sony's problem is a lack of compelling cameras. They do have some nice lenses, but their cameras look like they took Canon's line up and tried to make a competing camera for each level, just a little bit cheaper.
05-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #27

It must have been for the patents if the rumor is true at all. Buying Pentax for market share and then dump the K-mount sounds like a stupid idea.
If Canon bought Pentax and then ditched the K-mount....where would we go?
I bet a lot of us would be pissed and buy Nikon gear without even considering the EF-mount.
Those patents must be worth a lot to take that risk. (again, if there is any truth at all to this).
Then again, 'a lot us us' is relative.....we are not that many and Canon could maybe live with handing over Pentax whole market share to Nikon. Nice gift!
05-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
. . .
If Canon bought Pentax and then ditched the K-mount....where would we go?
. . .
I think Canon missed their chance 3 years ago. However, to answer your question as to where k-mount people went if Canon were to hypothetical acquire and ditch it, they would go the same place the FD mount people went.
05-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think Canon missed their chance 3 years ago. However, to answer your question as to where k-mount people went if Canon were to hypothetical acquire and ditch it, they would go the same place the FD mount people went.
In other words, a lot of different places.

I'd hang on to my K-x and get a Sony NEX something. That NEX-5 is pretty much everything I've been wanting except for the UI and the lack of a $%&*(#ING HOTSHOE (sorry for yelling)! Unless some sort of hotshoe adapter appears (I could even live with just a PC port) I'd have to keep using DSLRs for a good 1/3 of my photography. Maybe I'd just go for used pentaxes... prices might go waaaaaay down if the company got chopped. And of course I'd use my favorite lens of all time thus far (the M 50 f1.7) via adapter on it.
05-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I'm impressed by these rumour sites.

It's possible to talk out of ones arse, but these guys have managed to get theirs to type and start blogs.