Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Wild rumor: Canon and Sony fighting over Pentax?

As seen in 1000 Noisy Camera today:
1001 Noisy Cameras

A 'wild rumour' that Canon and Sony are fighting over Pentax, citing CanonRumours.com:

The gist of it is, from some somewhere unsourced:
QuoteQuote:
Canon attempted to purchase Pentax.

There’s a concern within Canon about Sony’s position in the DSLR market. They’re proving to be very committed in gaining marketshare.

It was insinuated that Sony has interest in Pentax and its user base, whereas Canon doesn’t necessarily want the same thing.
50D Going Away Hints Canon Rumors

Not sure what to make of it. Maybe Canon wants Pentax's patent portfolio, as well as Pentax existing marketshare.

Hmmm. Maybe then we'll see something like the 5D2's sensor turn up in the K-7 body... yum!

05-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see how this would work though. Would that mean that Canon or Sony were going to maintain two mounts?
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I don't see how this would work though. Would that mean that Canon or Sony were going to maintain two mounts?
No; they would buy Pentax for the patents alone, and then cease camera and lens production (of Pentax and Pentax lenses) completely. One competitor less to worry about!
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
No; they would buy Pentax for the patents alone, and then cease camera and lens production (of Pentax and Pentax lenses) completely. One competitor less to worry about!
That would be a waste of a perfecty good user base though.

05-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
That would be a waste of a perfecty good user base though.
Canon could not care less, not even about their own user base. I still remember what they did with the Canon FD mount
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Except, maybe some optical formulas and body details might appear in their packages.

From the other hand.. as a niche system, simply killing the brand won't make most user base jump to their. Many would split between Olympus and Sony because of similar functionality (high quality optics, built-in SR). But i don't expect legacy support from those big fish either.
I expect canon *might* make the very entry level body with builtin SR. But leave all other without (the ones that might be seen used with L lenses).

In reality this is just a rumor. Most likely not true anymore. Probably from the times, when Hoya bought Pentax, there were other interested. Currently, when Pentax has been heavily reformed and generating Profit, i Hoya thinks of dropping/selling the brand.
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still remember what they did with the Canon FD mount
With you there 100%. I'm still mad at Canon and is why I will never buy a Canon SLR / DSLR.

05-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Buying Pentax and shutting it down for the K user base, hahaha.
(I would possibly go over to A mount/EOS if I got a free A900/1Ds3/5DII and refunds on my K-mount lenses. Buy me out!)

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I expect canon *might* make the very entry level body with builtin SR. But leave all other without (the ones that might be seen used with L lenses).
Probably not, it's cheaper to make kit lenses with stabilization (18-55, 55-250), and Canon/Nikon also has some other offerings with stabilization (faster standard zooms, "extended" standard zooms). I don't think the entry level buyers will need something like a 70-200/4 with stabilization, for instance.

Last edited by KjetilH; 05-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
05-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
With you there 100%. I'm still mad at Canon and is why I will never buy a Canon SLR / DSLR.
I agree,having F1,A1 Ae1 and a dozen FD lenses,I would not buy anything from Canon ever again.Also have 10x more Pentax stuff so quite happy
05-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The one thing this rumor doesn't explain is if these two mega companies are interested in buying Pentax, why haven't they done so yet?
05-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The one thing this rumor doesn't explain is if these two mega companies are interested in buying Pentax, why haven't they done so yet?
You are spoiling a perfectly good rumour with your reasonableness.
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

At least this shows that Pentax is finally becoming somewhat of a threat to Canon, which they should have been a long time ago in the digital era. BTW, Pentax was already bought by Hoya and I don't think Canon would be able to buy them even if they wanted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Canon could not care less, not even about their own user base. I still remember what they did with the Canon FD mount
That's true. They took a damn big gamble by putting every thing it the pot and rolling they dice. It paid off big time for them from 1988 to present. The alienated a lot of their FD base and didn't give a flip about it. That's why I won't spend money on Canon other than the macro stuff that I "inherited."

I firmly believe that if Canon were to buy Pentax, it would be to shut her down except for maybe the medical end of things (including eye glasses). If Hoya hadn't bought them, it could have gone that way already and the K200d, K20d, K-7 and K-x wouldn't even exist! If Hoya ever does sell them, lets hope its someone like Tokina or Olympus that ends up with it.

sony: As far as they go, they are still trying to figure out what to do with the Minolta line.
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe all Canon will keep will be the 645D and stick the Canon logo on it.
Keeping all the Pentax DSLR's and the compacts just would be messy.

Who knows what Sony would do though. They already have a pretty messy Alpha mount line up, now with the NEX mount too. Maybe adding K-mount to the mix wouldn't worry them too much.
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

Because it doesn't make any kind of sense. Firstly, Canon isn't remotely worried about Sonys position in the DSLR market as it is worse than Pentax and far less profitable. Nikon is the only one making any impact on Canons DSLR's.
Secondly, for Sony to buy Pentax would be a manifestation that buying Minolta was a flop. How would they get access to Pentax user base? Are they going to sell two separate DSLR systems? Isn't their ill conceived DSLR line-up chaotic enough as it is?
Thirdly. Canon is no way interested in Pentax. They don't need them. Canon spending $1 billion in order to remove a "competitor" that hardly figures on the sales charts is ridiculous.