Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #61
Forum Member

"What they need there is a screen that's made with some kind of design for manual focus."

Certain design features do not scale down with formats; for instance, with wide angles it's hard to get sufficient detail for manual focusing whatever the focusing screen.

I agree with the observation that no APS-C viewfinder is likely to ever hold a candle to a well-designed FF one. Viewfinder real estate is also large factor in why some of us prefer medium format cameras like the 645N over 35mm offerings.

Historically, a big bright viewfinder contributed greatly to the reputions other legendary cameras-- notably the Pentax LX.

05-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The "super telephoto" is still on the roadmap... In the meantime we have the Sigma zooms and prime 500mm, have you considered these?
Where is this roadmap you mention? I haven't seen a new one since around March 2009.
05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I too thought that too, but since the conversation was about my frustrations and need for low light capabilities of the D700, I just don't feel as though the 645D would address such a need. So I'm thinking that he was most likely referencing something specific to that statement(FF or a really good crop sensor type of thing).
Wouldn't that be simpler to ask him if he was referring to the D645 rather than speculating ?

To "blow away" the D700, one would have to greatly increase the Signal-to-Noise ratio. Only three ways to accomplish that:

1. increase the size of the pixels = more photons hence stronger signal (that also means fewer pixels for same sensor size or larger sensor),

2. decrease the noise. Light noise cannot be reduced, it's plain physics. Signal Amplification Noise generated by the electronics can be reduced to a point, but not by an order of magnitude, or

3. improve the effectiveness of the sensor in capturing light, such as the new sensor from Kodak, which increases the sensitivity to light from two to four times as much when compared to digital camera sensors in common use today.

So if I were to speculate, such claim could only be achieved with option 3, but is that really an option ? There's been rumors of Pentax-Hoya and Kodak talking !
05-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
More to the point, any APS-C camera will still be stuck with a viewfinder that sucks.
Not necessarily.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan J. Eberle Quote
"What they need there is a screen that's made with some kind of design for manual focus."

Certain design features do not scale down with formats; for instance, with wide angles it's hard to get sufficient detail for manual focusing whatever the focusing screen.

I agree with the observation that no APS-C viewfinder is likely to ever hold a candle to a well-designed FF one. Viewfinder real estate is also large factor in why some of us prefer medium format cameras like the 645N over 35mm offerings.

Historically, a big bright viewfinder contributed greatly to the reputions other legendary cameras-- notably the Pentax LX.
Agreed! See my thread on the upside of a less than great(imo) movement: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/102947-one-evil-mi...advantage.html

06-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the kx's sensor already out performs the 5d mk1 today... pointless comparison though.
06-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I actually shoot 50% film now. My next upgrade will have to be a FF digital body, whether it is Pentax or other brands.
06-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #67
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
the kx's sensor already out performs the 5d mk1 today... pointless comparison though.
I dont think so and its a bit hard to compare this two models. The Kx does RAW (at high iso)and jpg Noisreduction. This are softwaretweeks that the old 5d dont have. I think when you compare 5ds 3200iso RAW files convertet whit some good software they will look a bit better not so fluffy and fuzzy and with more details.

06-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Wouldn't that be simpler to ask him if he was referring to the D645 rather than speculating ?
I am preparing a response, but I want to avoid sounding petty about it. In the past, I ended-up asking him a series of questions, and he stopped corresponding with me. I suspect he's most likely not interested in small talk, and so I'm trying to avoid doing that again.
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
I dont think so and its a bit hard to compare this two models.
It's not that hard at all :

From
Compare cameras

The K-x does in fact have some sensor advantages over the 5D, which is unsurprising I guess given the age of the 5D.
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's not that hard at all
rawr, you magnificent smartarse! *salutes*

With that "Low-light ISO" bar, is a higher number better or a lower number better?
06-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #71
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF low ISO is better
06-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #72
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

With that "Low-light ISO" bar, is a higher number better or a lower number better?
higher number is better.
06-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #73

Who really believe in these benchmark results?
They have the same probems than for computer graphic card benchmark: they are true only in THEIR conditions, and especially not in field conditions.
Ask any photographer if he prefer to shoot a wedding with a FF body (5D) or any APS-C body (including Kx), answers will be quick and definitive...
Sure jpeg engine on 5D is old and outperformed by more recent bodies, but still RAW results (especially for DR) are not comparable. And I am saying that while I really really don't like Canon bodies...
06-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't trust DxO test results...I find their impartiality questionable.
06-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I have a Kx and a 5d and i honestly though the Kx was even better than those numbers suggest it is. (over the 5d)