Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New Pentax as good as FF?...

Hello Pentaxians, I just wanted to throw something in the pot in passing.

I've been emailing someone from Pentax Canada over the past year which all started with a product support purchase that eventually got me in touch with a product/hardware manager down the line. And so I've had the privilege and opportunity of asking this person various technical questions along the way. Though one of the most recent discussions turned out to be quite exciting to hear...

The question came in part from a quick comment I made regarding a wedding shoot I have coming up in a few weeks with a D700. To which I said, I wish my K20's could of done the job because they are the ones with the glass to make it happen.

To which the Pentax technician said "John, hang on to your seat, there's something coming-up that will give your FF a run for its money".

So there you have it. - I don't know if he was just plugging in a marketing response, but.... it certainly has put a little excitement in my day, because I really can't afford a Nikon kit.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-28-2010 at 02:55 AM.
05-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hello Pentaxians, I just wanted to throw something in the pot in passing.
I've been emailing someone from Pentax Canada over the past year which all started with a product support purchase that eventually got me in touch with a product/hardware manager down the line. And so I've have the privilege of asking this person various technical questions along the way. Though the most recent however has got to be the most exciting thing I've heard to date!

The question came in part from a quick comment I made regarding a wedding shoot I have coming up in a few weeks with a D700. To which I said, I wish my K20's could of done the job because they are the ones with the glass to make it happen.

To which the Pentax technician said "John, hang on to your seat, there's something coming-up that will give your FF a run for it's money".

So there you have it.
I don't know if this was just a marketing response or what, but it has put a little excitement in my day to hear it because I really can't afford a Nikon kit.
Maybe he was talking about the 645D
05-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

645D most likely indeed.

Wim
05-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
645D most likely indeed.

Wim
But on the other hand the 645D is an official product, not a rumor. If it was the 645D he surely would have mentioned it...

It's tantalizing, isn't it?

05-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But on the other hand the 645D is an official product, not a rumor. If it was the 645D he surely would have mentioned it...
Yeah. Unless he thinks we Pentaxians specifically don't care about anything not released on our home turf...

Which means he's never read the News & Rumors forum.
05-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #6

And he doesn't know what is a D700 FF price because 645D is not running in the same league...
05-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
645D most likely indeed.

Wim
I too thought that too, but since the conversation was about my frustrations and need for low light capabilities of the D700, I just don't feel as though the 645D would address such a need. So I'm thinking that he was most likely referencing something specific to that statement(FF or a really good crop sensor type of thing).

05-28-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would guarantee that Pentax will follow the K7 with basically a sensor/auto focus update in the same body. Keeping the good things the same, but trying to fix the things that people complain about the most. I just don't see them throwing away a new body that they worked hard on. This will be more like the K10 to K20 up date. If they can improve low light shooting with it, the K7 to me would be the perfect camera.
05-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Yeah. Unless he thinks we Pentaxians specifically don't care about anything not released on our home turf...

Which means he's never read the News & Rumors forum.
I am often amazed how little Pentax personnel and camera sales people in general know about things to come, even with products that have already been officially communicated such as the 645D. Perhaps they are only letting on, preferring to push current products on sale (or in stock) rather than have someone wait for a product to come and risk these potential customers changing their minds and picking another product from a competitor?

Wim
05-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
"John, hang on to your seat, there's something coming-up that will give your FF a run for its money".
I don't know if he's referring to the 645D. I would figure the 645D would do more than "give a run for its [D700] money". From what I've seen, the D700 isn't even in the same league as the 645D.

To give it perspective, would a Pentax rep ever say that the K7 will give the Canon Elph (P&S) a run for its money? This is intriguing indeed...
05-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

645d

I'll guess he's talking about 645D and it becoming officially available in a country other than Japan.

It doesn't matter that 645D will be 4x the money D700 sells for.

However, At 4x the money 645D should have better image quality than D700.

edit

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-28-2010 at 06:17 AM.
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sony has a new sensor that is rumored to be coming out in the A7xx that is a step ahead of the sensor used in the NEX series. It is a 15MP sensor that out performs the 12MP FF found in the Canon 5D. Of course the Canon 5D is a 5 year old camera and still not quite in the league of the Nikon D700, but it is more than capable of large prints at 3200 ISO. Used 5D bodies are still selling for over $1,000 because of the great image quality.

If Pentax is going to continue to buy sensors from Sony then it is possible we will see the K-7 replacement with the same sensor as the A7xx.

I think this fall is going to be big for the industry. I think there will be several cameras introduced with new technology.
05-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Kodak has a FF sensor, although I don't know the details about it and I'm not sure it can handle LiveView etc. Why not follow up the MF 645D with a FF from the same sensor manufacturer?
05-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
However, At 4x the money 645D should have better image quality than D700.
For certain things I would expect it to. Will be slower though and probably won't be as good for low light, not just because of the sensor but available glass as well. Horses for courses.
05-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

aps-c's of the future will surpass the FF's of the past, or so I hear. maybe that's what he meant