Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
To say honest, I don't have any interest to camera above K-7 with APS-C sensor.
I have video camera and I don't care about video in DSLR at all. Better video, more video settings, more fps and some new features at APS-C - it's not interested at all.

The camera above K-7 must be FF.

I have interest for camera a bit lower than K-7 with WR - something like K200D with new sensor and for FF camera from Pentax.

new APS-C camera higher than K-7 - I don't see any sense now.

Add video setting and make some minor upgrade and lower noise in K-7 - name K-7 super and it will be enough now.

But camera higher than K-x and FF are very need.
Well, that's a really nice idea indeed!

Rui

05-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
new APS-C camera higher than K-7 - I don't see any sense now.
I actually see room for a new model:

New sensor - 8 FPS, ISO12800, EXT:25600
New AF system - 30% faster, improved low light capability, tracking
New flash system - faster, improved wireless capabilities
Improved liveview - hybrid focusing capability(contrast AF)
Improved video - HD Video, limited AF capability
Improved buffer - 35 RAW frame capacity @ 8 FPS
Dual card slots - Overflow and transfer capabilities, WIFI compliance

Announcement: Feb. 2011
Availability: May 2011

Behold the "Pentax K-8"

I'm open to wagers
05-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cezarL Quote
That used to be true in the past, but now things are different. Take for example the A900/D3x sensor - Sony released its FF in Sept 2008, while Nikon's version came out in December. The D300 only had about one month advantage to the A700.
The fact that Nikon managed to get better performance than Sony, from those sensors, is a whole different story Pentax did it too, in the K-x, which to me looks slightly better at high ISO than Sony's A500.
So it's entirely possible for the A7xx sensor to show up in a Pentax camera at Photokina, and with improved IQ too.
Since Sony acquired Minolta's business, they are served first/second with Nikon but others (read: Pentax) always have to wait 6 months at least. Nothing changed, really. None at all.
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Since Sony acquired Minolta's business, they are served first/second with Nikon but others (read: Pentax) always have to wait 6 months at least. Nothing changed, really. None at all.
Do you have some kind of insider info or something? There's really no way to know whether the previous arrangements still rule the day until the cards are actually shown.

05-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #50
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I actually see room for a new model:

New sensor - 8 FPS, ISO12800, EXT:25600
New AF system - 30% faster, improved low light capability, tracking
New flash system - faster, improved wireless capabilities
Improved liveview - hybrid focusing capability(contrast AF)
Improved video - HD Video, limited AF capability
Improved buffer - 35 RAW frame capacity @ 8 FPS
Dual card slots - Overflow and transfer capabilities, WIFI compliance

Announcement: Feb. 2011
Availability: May 2011

Behold the "Pentax K-8"

I'm open to wagers
Faster, more video, AF, ISO - it's no any sense for me. It's marketing.
I'm amateur and happy with K200D with shooting at ISO100-200. Sometimes at ISO400-800.

I'd prefer K-7's AF with 18-24 MP FF sensor in compact body (like K20D). With features of K-7. It's ALL.

I don't care about ISO higher than ISO1000, video with a lot of settings, huge RAW buffer, Wi-Fi, LV, fast contrast AF and 8 fps.

Pentax won't make reportage camera. IMO. No any sense for such niche.
05-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony is sensor maker, Hoya is not.
And Sony is falling down now step by step in photo bussiness like it was with LCD and TV.
05-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Sure, if it is Full Frame.

An APS-C camera will never be as "good as Full Frame," as a larger format always holds advantages over a smaller format in photography. You can argue all you like about the bang-for-buck, whether the difference is sufficient to matter to you, whether it's important for the type of photos you take, or whatever, it's not going to change anything. More to the point, any APS-C camera will still be stuck with a viewfinder that sucks.

If Pentax really wants to make a camera that's "as good as" Full Frame, it will have to BE Full Frame. Anything less simply won't be "as good."

05-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #53
Forum Member

And Sony is falling down now step by step in photo bussiness like it was with LCD and TV.

Ummm.. are you sure?
Just because Sony isn't doing well in Japan, you can't really predict their doom
They aren't doing bad at all in Europe, as far as DSLR sales are concerned. They were #1 in Poland last year, for example, above Canikon.
05-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
More to the point, any APS-C camera will still be stuck with a viewfinder that sucks.
An objective statement like "any APS-C camera will still be stuck with a viewfinder that is smaller than a FF camera's viewfinder" might have a bit more weight to it. Just because it's smaller does not, under any objective term, mean that it "sucks."

I used to shoot with Olympus's OM series, which had big, bright, beautiful viewfinders. Those are great for manual focusing and considered compositions. However, for anything I need to shoot fast it's far more useful to have everything right in front of my eyes. The viewfinder on the 40D I used to have was a good compromise, IMO. I've heard similar sentiments from sports shooters on occasion. So for some... an APS-C viewfinder may actually be preferable.
05-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen:
The viewfinder on the 40D I used to have was a good compromise, IMO.
'compromise' is a good word. While the K7 viewfinder is nice for an APS-C camera (and similar to the one on 40D), it's miles behind the Sony A900 one... (or any other of the current FF offerings, I suspect)
When switching immediately from a FF camera to an APS-C, you'll feel like looking through a small, dark tunnel Then again, keep using the K7 for enough time, and you'll readjust to its viewfinder, and it will seem very good again (especially if you'd make yet one more switch, to an entry-level camera, with pentamirror).
05-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Yeah some viewfinders do really suck, pentamirror ones. Still a lot of guys here do buy K-x, seems they do not care that much.
05-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #57
Veteran Member

My own thoughts on new camera bodies is this, you can produce a FF or APS-C body and pack it full of features like the faster AF, higher ISO performance, more fps and much more. However for me as a bird photographer all those features count for nothing without READILY AVAILABLE fast super telephoto lenses!

My company was exhibiting at an outdoor expo in Johannesburg over this last weekend and I had several people asking me to recommend camera systems to them. Sadly with the only readily available lenses from Pentax being the 55-300 and the 300 F4 SDM, I told them to rather consider Canon and Nikon first as they have some awesome 500mm, 600mm and 800mm lenses available (and I am a die hard Pentax fan).

For bird photography we desperately need lenses with reach!

I have now resorted to using an older FD mount Canon 500mm with a home made adapter.

So if any of the Pentax product development team are reading this, yes I would buy a camera with the faster frame rate and high ISO performance but only if lenses in the 500mm to 800mm range come out!

By the way, the secret with Nikon and Canon is that most people will buy their entry level camera's simply because those brands give them something to aspire to. They feel part of a brand that actually has high end equipment.
Using the car analogy, people would rather buy an A3 Audi because they aspire to owning an RS6 and are part of the same brand than to buy a small KIA...
Same goes for Pentax.
05-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #58
Forum Member

I'm not surprised... if you're using AF all the time, it won't really matter, I think. Things become difficult only when you're trying manual focusing. At least, that's what's difficult for me, on APS-C viewfinders.
05-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote

So if any of the Pentax product development team are reading this, yes I would buy a camera with the faster frame rate and high ISO performance but only if lenses in the 500mm to 800mm range come out!
The "super telephoto" is still on the roadmap... In the meantime we have the Sigma zooms and prime 500mm, have you considered these?

QuoteQuote:
By the way, the secret with Nikon and Canon is that most people will buy their entry level camera's simply because those brands give them something to aspire to. They feel part of a brand that actually has high end equipment.
Using the car analogy, people would rather buy an A3 Audi because they aspire to owning an RS6 and are part of the same brand than to buy a small KIA...
Same goes for Pentax.
You mean the K-x is the Mercedes A class and the 645D is an extra long Maybach?
05-31-2010, 05:44 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cezarL Quote
I'm not surprised... if you're using AF all the time, it won't really matter, I think. Things become difficult only when you're trying manual focusing. At least, that's what's difficult for me, on APS-C viewfinders.
What they need there is a screen that's made with some kind of design for manual focus.