Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #76
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
However, I have my doubts about a 30 f/1.4 being less expensive than the 50 f/1.4.
Given that it will likely be a DA*. expect it to be priced in DA*55/1.4 territory and consider yourself lucky that you don't have to buy lenses for the Leica M8 (~2k for a standard lens).

06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #77
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Given that it will likely be a DA*. expect it to be priced in DA*55/1.4 territory and consider yourself lucky that you don't have to buy lenses for the Leica M8 (~2k for a standard lens).
Go price lenses for that big old ff digital bodies Leica has out! The bodies are > $30k.
06-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #78
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 152
can I dream a autofocus 50mm f/1.2?
06-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #79
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The FA 50 f/1.7 was discontinued due to poor sales when Pentax turned into digital. The 50 f/1.4 sold so much better.
What were the prices at the time? I'm guessing the reason the f1.7 sold badly was because the f1.4 was faster and not very expensive. Now, however, it is.

06-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #80
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by mz-3 Quote
can I dream a autofocus 50mm f/1.2?
That's not out of the realm of possibilities. The reason I say that is that Pentax has been making the A 50mm f1.2 again. I'm guessing it would be called a D FA or something.
06-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #81
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
Someone mentioned a cheap 35. This Chinese site (translated to English), of which I ascribe zero credence to, claims a cheap, plastic "DAL35mm". My crystal ball suggests it'll be a while before a low-cost replacement to the 55 emerges.
06-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #82
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
claims a cheap, plastic "DAL35mm".
Wait, 1000 yuan = ~$146 USD. That's too cheap. Sorry for polluting the board with drivel.
06-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #83
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
What were the prices at the time? I'm guessing the reason the f1.7 sold badly was because the f1.4 was faster and not very expensive. Now, however, it is.
And why do you think that if the 50/1.4 was faster and not very expensive then, that a 50/1.7 would be not very expensive now?
And why do you think that Pentax would want to shoot down potential 55/1.4 sales by putting another lens in the same FL on the market, especially when they have other holes in the line up to fill, such as a fast standard lens and perhaps a lens or two between 70 and 200mm (which at the moment is filled by the 77, which is due for retirement and a macro lens), and perhaps something between 21mm and 35mm?

06-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #84
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Wait, 1000 yuan = ~$146 USD. That's too cheap. Sorry for polluting the board with drivel.
How is that too cheap? CaNikon manage just fine with lenses that cost even less.
06-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #85
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And why do you think that if the 50/1.4 was faster and not very expensive then, that a 50/1.7 would be not very expensive now?
And why do you think that Pentax would want to shoot down potential 55/1.4 sales by putting another lens in the same FL on the market, especially when they have other holes in the line up to fill, such as a fast standard lens and perhaps a lens or two between 70 and 200mm (which at the moment is filled by the 77, which is due for retirement and a macro lens), and perhaps something between 21mm and 35mm?
I'm not saying I think Pentax will come out with a fast 50. I was just pointing out a mistake in the reasoning of the post I was replying to.

And, there are reasons why a DA501.7 could be cheaper. Plastic mount, no hood, cheaper plastics, no quick-shift, etc..

But again, I'm not saying I think they will. I do think they should, though.
06-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #86
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I'm not saying I think Pentax will come out with a fast 50. I was just pointing out a mistake in the reasoning of the post I was replying to.

And, there are reasons why a DA501.7 could be cheaper. Plastic mount, no hood, cheaper plastics, no quick-shift, etc..

But again, I'm not saying I think they will. I do think they should, though.

Why would anyone advocate a plastic mount? People are concerned about the FA 50mm f1.4 falling apart in their hands and yet people want a p.o.s. lens to replace it. If people want a cheap pos plastic mount lens, there is the DAL 18-55mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
How is that too cheap? CaNikon manage just fine with lenses that cost even less.
Which ones of these normal and short tele prime lenses have a plastic mount? That is rhetorical because none of them do.

Canon Direct Store - Standard & Medium Telephoto Lenses

Same for the wide primes

Canon Direct Store - Wide-Angle Lenses

Last edited by Blue; 06-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #87
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Why would anyone advocate a plastic mount? People are concerned about the FA 50mm f1.4 falling apart in their hands and yet people want a p.o.s. lens to replace it. If people want a cheap pos plastic mount lens, there is the DAL 18-55mm.
You're obviously not the target audience for this kind of lens

A cheap-as-possible 50mm is appealing to people who are new to photography and like to try out a fast prime. Besides, FA50mm lenses falling apart has more to do with powerful auto-focus motors tearing them apart than with the quality of the mount.
06-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #88
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Which ones of these normal and short tele prime lenses have a plastic mount? That is rhetorical because none of them do.
It's strange, it looks like the 50mm f1.8 has a metal mount, but I don't think it actually has one:



EDIT: I just checked with a friend, she just bought one a week ago and it has a plastic mount.
06-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #89
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
The EF 50mm f1.8 II shown at Canon USA is this one.



BH is showing this one.



However, this thing "ain't" the F/FA 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 lenses. I don't think Pentax should open a can of worms under the auspices of a cheap made prime. Canon can run on its name with the lemming crowd. Or to put it another way, there is a difference in 'cheap' and value.

Edit: My god, some people think the F series lenses were ugly. Wait until they get a load of this.
06-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #90
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
The photo shown on the Canon website is actually the 50mm F1.4, that's why it looks different.

I don't think prestige will help Pentax much in the sales department. These cheap lenses are hot sellers for Nikon and Canon. Frankly Pentax is missing out on a lot of sales.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA50mm/1.7 lens (US) DSims Sold Items 6 04-15-2010 10:17 AM
Discontinued Lens List Russell-Evans Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 12-10-2009 12:13 PM
Lens are going to discontinued. vizjerei Pentax News and Rumors 63 12-08-2009 03:34 AM
10 Pentax DA lenses Discontinued ? wll Pentax News and Rumors 6 11-25-2009 12:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top