Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
@$&#$*&#
I believe the accepted spelling is, "@>&#$*&#", Hangu.

06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I believe the accepted spelling is, "@>&#$*&#", Hangu.
A cluster of brain cells die every time I hear irregardless.

It bothers me that spell check doesn't even bother to underline this word anymore. Seriously, wtf?
06-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
A cluster of brain cells die every time I hear irregardless.

It bothers me that spell check doesn't even bother to underline this word anymore. Seriously, wtf?
My jibe notwithstanding, I'm sympathetic. ;~)
06-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Really, so Pentax should go out of its way to compensate for a half-arsed "design" decision by a turtleneck-wearing, megalomaniacal hippie to exclude a simple, standard feature that's been around for, shit, well, years, in products from fridges to phones to GPS to bleedin' battery chargers.

So everyone's just meant to jump every time Jobs has another acid flashback, and shits out another novelty toy...

I just about fell out of my chair laughing

Tony Stark...ummm, I mean Steve Jobs, is almost a caricature of himself in the public eye or at least the eyes of his fans. He speaks as a god. He changes the way people do everything. He invented the computer. He invented the Internet...ummm, wrong again...that was Al Gore. His designs are faultless. Apple is Jobs and Jobs is Apple.

The funny thing is, I personally admire Steve Jobs. I just think that it is funny how easily people dismiss the deficiencies of his products and Apple's absurd price points.

Steve

(Elements of superior design...memories of the hockey puck mouse...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-06-2010 at 01:02 PM.
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I regards to the OP's suggestion, the "camera connection kit" will apparently solve all when it is available. Support for Pentax RAW will likely be more of an issue for those that don't shoot in JPEG. Use of an iPad as a lap-size picture frame is a cool idea. Instead of sitting around on the sofa looking at a traditional family album, we can do the same thing with an iPad. Now if it wasn't for those damn reflections...

Steve
06-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(Elements of superior design...memories of the hockey puck mouse...)
GAAAH! *right hand cramps up reflexively*

I'm actually on a Mac now (so screw those who've said I've never used one.) I actually find the interface a lot more confusing - windows and menu bars separate, and Cmd+Tabbing doesn't maximise windows that were minimised - and it's famed minimalism is often too subtle for its own good (I'm glad Apple doesn't make fire alarms. They'd consist of a single white LED flashing and a some soft music.)

The chiclet keyboard is useless and this post is cramping my hand - it's too low to the desk. Again, it's a bit of style over practicality. Fortunately, the iSuppository mice have been replaced by Razer mice - as much as I hate Razers (don't like concave mice,) they're better than the alternative.

I think people approach Apple with a different mindset. With anything else, people expect to be able to get that anything to do what they want. With Apple, people - thanks to the marketing, mostly - people go in happy to be told what to do. Cognitive dissonance. Apple can't do that? Then I don't need to do it - and once your expectations are sufficiently curbed, remoulded and manipulated, then of course Apple then make the perfect product. That's what I get from a lot of die-hard Apple users. But it works for 'em, I suppose.

But would it have been so hard to stick a USB port on their? It's not like they're obtrusive. I'd say the USB socket is one of the triumphs of connectivity engineering - it's small, it's key so you can only put it in one way, it's a firm, positive connection that doesn't require any extraneous screws, latches or catches, is solidly built, and the contacts are protected. And it's only half an inch wide, and about an eighth tall. If Apple designers can't fit it in, maybe they're not so shit hot.

And, back to the original topic - Pentax are expect to make their next DSLR compatible with something that's only sold 2 million units, but it's perfectly fine for Apple to not make their new device compatible with the six billion USB devices already sold?

Horse/cart order reversed, methinks.
06-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

GAAAH! *right hand cramps up reflexively*

I'm actually on a Mac now (so screw those who've said I've never used one.) I actually find the interface a lot more confusing - windows and menu bars separate, and Cmd+Tabbing doesn't maximise windows that were minimised - and it's famed minimalism is often too subtle for its own good (I'm glad Apple doesn't make fire alarms. They'd consist of a single white LED flashing and a some soft music.)

[snip]
But would it have been so hard to stick a USB port on their? It's not like they're obtrusive. I'd say the USB socket is one of the triumphs of connectivity engineering - it's small, it's key so you can only put it in one way, it's a firm, positive connection that doesn't require any extraneous screws, latches or catches, is solidly built, and the contacts are protected. And it's only half an inch wide, and about an eighth tall. If Apple designers can't fit it in, maybe they're not so shit hot.

And, back to the original topic - Pentax are expect to make their next DSLR compatible with something that's only sold 2 million units, but it's perfectly fine for Apple to not make their new device compatible with the six billion USB devices already sold?

Horse/cart order reversed, methinks.
The problem will persist until the computing masses finally realize the iPad is NOT a computer. Frustration will rule the day until that realization strikes.

{on topic} As stated previously, EyeFi cards already do what the OP wants, which begs the question- what's to keep someone from intercepting your pics while you transfer they from the card to your computer? I ask only because the thought just popped into my head and I've done no research at all because I've not been interested before.

06-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
The problem will persist until the computing masses finally realize the iPad is NOT a computer. Frustration will rule the day until that realization strikes.

{on topic} As stated previously, EyeFi cards already do what the OP wants, which begs the question- what's to keep someone from intercepting your pics while you transfer they from the card to your computer? I ask only because the thought just popped into my head and I've done no research at all because I've not been interested before.
From the EyeFi technical specifications

"Wi-Fi Security: Static WEP 64/128, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK
Note: Shared WEP and Apple’s version of WEP TSN are not supported."
06-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #24
Inactive Account

What is the iPad, exactly?
06-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is a honk'en big phone...a REALLY honk'en big phone!

Steve

BTW...my non-Apple phone supports mini USB...
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It's a email/web/picture/movie viewing and game playing device. That may or may not do other things, probably not well.
06-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
It's a email/web/picture/movie viewing and game playing device. That may or may not do other things, probably not well.
Competition is coming. Devices without Jobs' preferences imposed, without Apple's price structures, with cost/performance curves suitable for non-Scientologists. Asus announced something for around US$170. More are coming, beyond the ePad and iPed and other obvious knock-offs, far beyond Kindle and other proprietary readers.

I eagerly await the US$99 xPad that will quickly display any media format. Coming soon...
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

for the 3rd time -

Apple Camera Connection Kit Now shut up Apple haters.

The iPad Camera Connection Kits have finally hit the Apple Store and show a shipping time of late April. Based upon Apple’s earlier iPod Camera Connector, which sold for the same price, the new iPad Connection Kit comes with both a Dock Connector-to-USB adapter and a Dock Connector-based SD Card reader, enabling you to connect either a camera or an SD Card to transfer pictures to the iPad and Apple says the iPad supports importing standard photo formats such as JPEG and RAW.

06-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Competition is coming. Devices without Jobs' preferences imposed, without Apple's price structures, with cost/performance curves suitable for non-Scientologists. Asus announced something for around US$170. More are coming, beyond the ePad and iPed and other obvious knock-offs, far beyond Kindle and other proprietary readers.

I eagerly await the US$99 xPad that will quickly display any media format. Coming soon...
Dude seriously...
06-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I don't have an ipad, but I do use some apps on my Droid with photography so can address some of the appliance, what is it good for, questions.

First up would be as a GPS track logger with My Tracks app. Saves tracks to the phones SD card or can push them up to google docs or google maps.

To make syncing tracks to photos easier the first photo would be of the droid running the UTC Time app so that you can get the time offset between the camera and the droid.

Another app that is nice to have is GPS Status. You check this app to verify that you are tracking the GPS satellites and collecting log points. I usually wait at the trail head until I get confirmation I'm tracking.

If you are into night photography another app that is nice to have is Shutter Speed. Meter the scene at a high ISO and fast lens, then use this app to give you the shutter speed needed at a low ISO and smaller aperture.

The example below is the scene was metered at f2.8 and ISO 800 and the camera gave a shutter speed of 1 second and these values are entered on the left. On the right, you enter the ISO and aperture you want to use in the shot and the app gives you the shutter speed needed, 4 minutes and 16 seconds.

If you are out in the dark, a flash light will be handy, so you might like the DroidLight app.

Another useful app to have is the DOF Calculator. It has a sensor setting for the K200D, K110D, K100D, K100Dsuper and a setting for the K2000, K20D, and K10D.

Smartpark, or Carr Matey, ... Know where your car is parked and more importantly how much time is left on the meter.

There is the camera on the Droid and its auto GPS embedding if wanted is kind of nice to have when you want to come back to a spot. Just take a photo with the Droid of the scene and location data and why you want to come back is captured. Why not just take the photo on the camera? Why use up space on the SD card that could be used for a "real" photo, and why not know you have the location without having to rely on the external track merging software?

Photoshop.com Mobile

Trapster: Your mobile phone alerts you as you approach police speed traps, red light and speed cameras, via spoken warnings in fun voices! Join world's largest driver's social network, 5 million users and growing! Drivers helping drivers!

Sunrise and sunset information as well as lunar information.

These are just some of the things I've found. There are going to be countless others. As for the size of the Ipad in general, I think it would be pretty nice to have the above types of apps, as well as an interface that can be used to read ebooks, be a bit better for viewing photos, easier to web surf, and in general being easier to lug around than a laptop. YMMV.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-09-2010 at 08:39 PM.