Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a honk'en big phone...a REALLY honk'en big phone
Dude...phones can make phone calls.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
for the 3rd time -

Apple Camera Connection Kit Now shut up Apple haters.
And for the millionth time - why do you have to purchase something that should've come standard?

Maybe Jobs can nickel-and-dime some more on the next one - a charger kit, that lets you recharge it ($69.95.) A microphone kit, that lets you speak into it ($49.95.) A speaker kit, that let's you hear stuff from it ($99.95.) An LCD display kit, that lets you see stuff on it ($299.95.)

The gouging possibilities are endless!

06-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #33
WJW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
And for the millionth time - why do you have to purchase something that should've come standard?

Maybe Jobs can nickel-and-dime some more on the next one - a charger kit, that lets you recharge it ($69.95.) A microphone kit, that lets you speak into it ($49.95.) A speaker kit, that let's you hear stuff from it ($99.95.) An LCD display kit, that lets you see stuff on it ($299.95.)

Because Apple believes that more than 50% of their likely customers don't care and won't miss it, just like the missing floppy drive on the original iMac.
06-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Another reason not to buy iPad:

Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed

"Apple has suffered another embarrassment. A security breach has exposed iPad owners including dozens of CEOs, military officials, and top politicians. They—and every other buyer of the cellular-enabled tablet—could be vulnerable to spam marketing and malicious hacking.

"The breach, which comes just weeks after an Apple employee lost an iPhone prototype in a bar, exposed the most exclusive email list on the planet, a collection of early-adopter iPad 3G subscribers that includes thousands of A-listers in finance, politics and media, from New York Times Co. CEO Janet Robinson to Diane Sawyer of ABC News to film mogul Harvey Weinstein to Mayor Michael Bloomberg. It even appears that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel's information was compromised."

06-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
"Apple has suffered another embarrassment. "
Looks more like ATT to me, but I guess Apple is more news worthy these days. Do people still give out email address they actually use when required by a company? I've had a hotmail account for more than a decade that's only purpose is to signup and probably collect junk mail from those signups. Every few years I forget to sign in long enough for the account to go inactive and a lot of the junk stops flowing in thereafter. If a bunch of A-listers are stupid enough to have to learn this now, no real issue in my opinion. Even stupid people own computers these days. Knowing the influence some people have by being famous, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't increase sales.

Thank you
Russell
06-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Another reason not to buy iPad:

Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed

"Apple has suffered another embarrassment. A security breach has exposed iPad owners including dozens of CEOs, military officials, and top politicians. They—and every other buyer of the cellular-enabled tablet—could be vulnerable to spam marketing and malicious hacking.

"The breach, which comes just weeks after an Apple employee lost an iPhone prototype in a bar, exposed the most exclusive email list on the planet, a collection of early-adopter iPad 3G subscribers that includes thousands of A-listers in finance, politics and media, from New York Times Co. CEO Janet Robinson to Diane Sawyer of ABC News to film mogul Harvey Weinstein to Mayor Michael Bloomberg. It even appears that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel's information was compromised."
gimme a break. did you read the completely biased article. Even Gawker couldn't figure out a way to make Apple responsible for this, it was an AT&T security breach, genius.
06-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whether you ike Apple and their stuff or not, there's no question that things are going the way of small mobile devices with touch screens. I hope Apple gets a bunch of competition from competitors, and it causes them to make improvements and causes the price to come down. I'd love an Ipad, but for what it does currently, I certainly won't be shelling out that much money for one.

Pentax needs to embrace this type of technology. They need tethering and much more. Something like an Ipad seems perfect for showing Live View info, and seeing photos taken immediately on a screen. Support for wireless control in both directions is where things are going, Pentax can either keep up, or fall behind. We'll see.
06-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To be fair, at least the OP's come up with some sort of use for the iPad, which is more than what Jobsy did. Most Apple products are about 90% hype and marketing, and 5% functionality (the remaining 5% consisting of the blood of Chinese workers.) The iPad approaches near 100% hype.
It is probably the same 5% of Chinese worker's blood, that goes into just about any Windos or Linux machine on this planet, I guess.

I have been using Apple computers since, ah, the LISA. Apple computers were in the beginning and still today first and foremost one thing: productivity machines.

I probably do not need to remind you, that Microsoft Word, was first released for Mac (I had been using it since V3.0) and that the first spreadsheet applications were also released for Mac. Then followed all of the publishing and later image processing packages (I still have the original Aldus Digital Darkroom in the cupboard).

Yes, later Apple also delved into consumer products - quite successfully (not always, but whenever Jobs did the job...) Why not. I guess, you have a radio, a tv set, may be a games console and may be you even use your WIndows/Linux machine for playing games.

For me and roughly 90% of all the colleagues I know in my business (photography, publishing, marketing) Macs are still, what they always were: productivity tools.

Saying the iPad has USB is ridiculous from, y'know, a purely practical standpoint. If you can't plug a standard USB connector into it, then it has no USB.
So, I guess, your WIndows/Linux machine (except if it is just a notebook) won't be connected to a monitor - because a graphics card is just an add-on as the camera kit, which you find useless.

I will now patiently wait for the flames from the Fruities, who claim that iPad would be perfectly suited to something like a photo editing platform, despite the fact The Wise And Holy Jobs himself has said that's not what the iPad is for.
The iPad is sure not meant for photo editing. It is a toy. Just like all the mobile phones, with their complete overload of features. But I guess, the iPAd and successive competitors will carve out a niche where they will show their usefulness.

You don't need to be an early adoptor - just don't buy one. I myself won't buy one too, as I prefer a real notebook for working on the road (a Macbook ofcourse)

GAAAH! *right hand cramps up reflexively*

I'm actually on a Mac now (so screw those who've said I've never used one.) I actually find the interface a lot more confusing - windows and menu bars separate, and Cmd+Tabbing doesn't maximise windows that were minimised - and it's famed minimalism is often too subtle for its own good (I'm glad Apple doesn't make fire alarms. They'd consist of a single white LED flashing and a some soft music.)
Don't work on a Mac, it seems just as unhealthy to you, as the completely stupid user interface of WIndows is for me. Whenever I need to use a Windows machine, I have to take some pills to stay calm, despite the assembled and coded stupidity.

The chiclet keyboard is useless and this post is cramping my hand - it's too low to the desk. Again, it's a bit of style over practicality. Fortunately, the iSuppository mice have been replaced by Razer mice - as much as I hate Razers (don't like concave mice,) they're better than the alternative.
Perhaps you should notice, that Macs (not the iPad, though, but its explicitly not a Mac) do have USB connectors. Just connect a keyboard that suites you better. I use a Microsoft ergonomically curved keyboard and a Logitech trackball. You have the same freedom of adding accessories to a Mac, that you have with a Windows/Linux machine - oh, I don't need drivers for these accessories on the Mac - that might be a difference...

I think people approach Apple with a different mindset. With anything else, people expect to be able to get that anything to do what they want. With Apple, people - thanks to the marketing, mostly - people go in happy to be told what to do. Cognitive dissonance. Apple can't do that? Then I don't need to do it - and once your expectations are sufficiently curbed, remoulded and manipulated, then of course Apple then make the perfect product. That's what I get from a lot of die-hard Apple users. But it works for 'em, I suppose.
I don't think Apple makes perfect products. There are always things, they could and should have been doing better or different. I fear every user has his/her own dislikes and some will critisize what I like and I dislike, what they prefer. The point is, there is no perfect product. And personally, before I need to take my pills, to work with Windows (see above), I live with the shortcomings of my Macs. (the current machine must be my 15th Mac, I think)

One point I want to emphasize is, that Apple doesn't force me to work "their way". The contrary seems to be true (personal perception, ofcourse): They make machines that fit perfectly my workflow and style of working. May be, I am already part of that Borg…

But would it have been so hard to stick a USB port on their? It's not like they're obtrusive. I'd say the USB socket is one of the triumphs of connectivity engineering - it's small, it's key so you can only put it in one way, it's a firm, positive connection that doesn't require any extraneous screws, latches or catches, is solidly built, and the contacts are protected. And it's only half an inch wide, and about an eighth tall. If Apple designers can't fit it in, maybe they're not so shit hot.
And USB problems fill thousands (probably millions) of threads. USB is defined by, "unplug and replug and see whether it works now". WiFi is there and it is not slowlyer than USB, but more universal (think, network).

No, no, I use USB, but its not the holy grail. And the iPad is not a notebook or desktop computer. Do you ramble about the USB-connectivity for your Pentax on your mobile phone?

You mean, like soundcards for Windows PCs or like graphics cards for Windows PCs. I think, this business modell is already taken by all of the "standard pc" makers…

The point is: You want to critisize the iPAD's shortcomings. That's fine. But your foul language about all other Apple products, which are thrown into your iPAD-soup for good measure, are simply unfounded or do at least apply to basically any other technological product. I am somwhat lost, what your perceived bad ergonomics of an Apple keyboard might have to do with the iPAD's connectivity, to name just one instance.

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Whether you ike Apple and their stuff or not, there's no question that things are going the way of small mobile devices with touch screens. I hope Apple gets a bunch of competition from competitors, and it causes them to make improvements and causes the price to come down. I'd love an Ipad, but for what it does currently, I certainly won't be shelling out that much money for one.

Pentax needs to embrace this type of technology. They need tethering and much more. Something like an Ipad seems perfect for showing Live View info, and seeing photos taken immediately on a screen. Support for wireless control in both directions is where things are going, Pentax can either keep up, or fall behind. We'll see.
That would be a useful application for the iPAD or any other similar device. I really would love Pentax to go in that direction.

06-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The iPad is sure not meant for photo editing. It is a toy.
If reading is playing, the iPad is a toy. I don't think those whose work inevitably involves a lot of reading will agree with that.
06-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If reading is playing, the iPad is a toy. I don't think those whose work inevitably involves a lot of reading will agree with that.
My own work affords a lot of reading, too - I prefer printed matter. Or I use my compter (desktop or notebook), because of its bigger screen.

If you've read through my long post, you should have seen, that I do not want to diminish the iPAD at all. But it is only the first generation of a device, which's uses are only starting to emerge. It will take a while, before it (and the competitors) evolve into something generally useful. Most call the iPad a "gadget" - that is nothing short of toy. As most mobile phone are only toys, or MP3-players etc.

Toys have value in itself, as playing is the base for learning and making experiences, by the way. They allow us to explore new technologies, new ways of doing things - and change our attitudes or behaviour.

Ben
06-16-2010, 02:55 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
My own work affords a lot of reading, too - I prefer printed matter. Or I use my compter (desktop or notebook), because of its bigger screen.
I haven't tried an iPad myself but I can imagine that it can be very useful if you e.g. have a lot of reading to do on a long air flight. Much more convenient than a laptop or a huge pile of paper. Or you may be able to read international newspapers while you commute, long before they even arrive in your country. Where I commute, there are usually free seats where using a 15" laptop is possible, but this is not the case everywhere, and then the iPad can be a good alternative to a smartphone. All in all, I think there are a lot of potential users who can use it to increase their productivity - i.e. it's already more than a gadget (for myself it might be too much of a luxury since I mostly can use either my laptop or smartphone in those situations).
06-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I don't have an ipad, but I do use some apps on my Droid with photography
What? No love for the Studio Buddy app I wrote for android?

I use My Tracks and DOF Calculator as well.
Wish there were a decent tide app and sunrise/sunset azimuth app..

p.s., I think the upcoming Asus EEE Pad is far more compelling as a wireless photo viewer device.
It runs Windows7 (touch UI) or Linux. It can do real tethering since it can act as a USB host. It can do adhoc wifi networks so you can upload directly to it from your eyefi card. It can run lightroom so you can see your tethered images immediately.
06-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is the iPad, exactly?
I'm too busy actually doing photography rather than wet dreaming about gadgets and gizzmos to give a flying feck.
06-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The first camera maker to market a consumer DSLR with WiFi is going to make hay. If it came with an iPad post-processing app, all the better.
Are people here really fighting about pro and cons of an iPad?

Anyway, I played with one over the weekend and it sure has a lot of potential. That's not new. What was really different from my earlier touchpad experiences was that it was fun actually

But more on topic:

dSLR with WiFi, or Lightroom/Aperture on iPad are none issues nevertheless. It's simply not a device with enough horsepower. Or enough storage.

But what I do see coming:

A "photoCatalog" APP which fetches JPG and RAW from a connected SD card (via the included SD card reader -- if you ordered the correct bundle ...) and opens a simple APP, similiar to the Lightroom Library Module, which allows to rate and annotate, provide keywords, stack etc. Maybe even a simple exposure and crop control. Most of all, which writes a Lightroom catalog file (which is easy because it is an open source database file). And geotag maybe, preferrably from a GPX track file (which the iPad could create if no external logger is on duty). And optionally export to some services. Later, back in the home network, Lightroom would import from the written catalog file and no more catalog work when back in office would be required.

That's much smarter than a photo tank and could last longer because redundant images can be deleted right on spot.
06-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Are people here really fighting about pro and cons of an iPad?

Anyway, I played with one over the weekend and it sure has a lot of potential. That's not new. What was really different from my earlier touchpad experiences was that it was fun actually

But more on topic:

dSLR with WiFi, or Lightroom/Aperture on iPad are none issues nevertheless. It's simply not a device with enough horsepower. Or enough storage.

But what I do see coming:

A "photoCatalog" APP which fetches JPG and RAW from a connected SD card (via the included SD card reader -- if you ordered the correct bundle ...) and opens a simple APP, similiar to the Lightroom Library Module, which allows to rate and annotate, provide keywords, stack etc. Maybe even a simple exposure and crop control. Most of all, which writes a Lightroom catalog file (which is easy because it is an open source database file). And geotag maybe, preferrably from a GPX track file (which the iPad could create if no external logger is on duty). And optionally export to some services. Later, back in the home network, Lightroom would import from the written catalog file and no more catalog work when back in office would be required.

That's much smarter than a photo tank and could last longer because redundant images can be deleted right on spot.
How on earth did we manage to fill walls, magazines, newspapers, albums etc with simple rolls of film? The level of complexity brought to photography by the computer is mind boggling. How much of this extra super dupery is actually useful rather than merely smart, what does it actually add to the craft of of photography at the end of the day?