Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, the article falls short when it comes to open standards. Jobs tries to destroy flash for a single reason: because he has a vision about how the web should look like. This has nothing to do with open standards in general but with a speciality of the web which can only florish while it is not owned by nobody.
I am not so sure. Job's endorsement of H.264 does not follow this vision, as Apple is one of the key patent owner of this codec, and H.264 may potentially have complex licensing problem in the near future. And at the same time, Job wants total ownership of iPhone/iPad app development platform by banning all cross development tools.

I also find it ironical that Apple's demo of the "more open" HTML5 would not work in anything else other than Safari!

I still feel that Job's motive behind all these is pure business, which is fine by me.

07-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Not pointed at you, Buschmaster.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I spend some of my time every day exercising, so I'm not really sure if you're taking a shot on my laziness or whatever, but you would have a tough time finding fat on me.
I'm afraid that I didn't have you specifically in mind and didn't spend a second considering your BMI. Don't know, don't care. I'm confident that you exercise more than I do. Everyone exercises more than I do. I have a struggling aspidistra that exercises more than I do. There is no criticism intended whatsoever.

I was writing what I thought was a description of the use to which I'd put a tablet, accompanied by a bit of (attempted) humor based on your reference to couches.

I'm sorry that it offended you and perhaps others.

Now we can go back to considering Apple's role in the advance of open systems and the innovation that arises from freely-available interoperation. It should be a short discussion.
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #93

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
OTOH, I find it disappointing that anyone who does not love the iPad or anyone who have pointed out some of its, dare I say, deficiencies are automatically labeled as Apple haters and being ridiculous!

I see now.... only the Apple lovers do "get it".
Anyone who does not "get it" with Apple gadgets is just plain ignorant and ill-informed. :ugh:
No, that's not what I'm saying, but it's the classic response of an Apple Hater

There's a difference between a genuine discussion of faults, and an outright derision of everything Apple. And lots of people seem to just HATE anything Apple. Note for example, the number of iPhone/iPad users that feel the need to bash Droids, etc.. It just doesn't happen. The reverse is consistent and relentless.

Anyway...just giving an actual perspective on how photographers can benefit from using an iPad, as opposed to dismissing something one has never even used.
07-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I think exactly the other way round: technical limitations will challenge web designers to come out with more creative new ways to stand out. At least those web designers I work with, see it exactly this way. The reason is simple: We have been doing websites for B-2-B oriented companies and in the professional world, you have to adhere to quite many rules, in order to make your website and your business really work.

If a web designer gets playful about technology, you'll loose customers.

If a designer gets playful with ideas and creativity, you'll win customers.

And that is all, that is important about a "web experience" for any commmercially viable enterprise. Ė That may sound boring, sorry for that. But in my personal view, the web contains already 98% noise and it gets harder to filter out the relevant stuiff by the hour. Web designers who substuitute creativity with the latest technology, add to the noise, in my opinion.

And as with anything creative, this is wholly subjective.

Ben

Ben

I wouldn't put the figure quite as high as 98% for one man's noise is another man's music after all, but I do agree with the sentiment and yes there are many designers who put their own cleverness above that of their customers interest, mainly to as an ego boost. It is also a sad fact that there are many who put the fluency of the code before the aesthetics of the site which leaves us with dull and insipid pages that jump seamlessly from one to another and do all that is expected of them but are hopelessly tedious to view. I'll probably get lynched for saying it but the latter does tend to be a US problem.

The point I was trying to make was that to get a site to look and work reasonably well on the majority of devices capable of displaying the web means that designers have to take more factors into account when building sites. The more 'rules' there are the less freedom there is to create. Brave talk of challenges and so on will not alter this unfortunate fact. Where do you go with all this new creativity? What will it require of the viewer to work?

Justin.

07-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #95

One's perception of the iPad depends on whether you're a geek or an artist - something that one of my favorite columnists, David Pogue of the New York Times has already noted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/personaltech/01pogue.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

One of his final comments is right on the mark:

"And the techies are right about another thing: the iPad is not a laptop. Itís not nearly as good for creating stuff. On the other hand, itís infinitely more convenient for consuming it ó books, music, video, photos, Web, e-mail and so on. For most people, manipulating these digital materials directly by touching them is a completely new experience ó and a deeply satisfying one."

Mike
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
It weighs a little over a pound, and is half an inch thick. I have the camera connection kit (2 week ship time, just wait and you'll get one), and was able to download the pictures I took every day. I have a few apps, like Photogene, that allow me to do all of the basic PP that I would do in Lightroom, and I could then upload pictures to Facebook, Picasa or to my website. It was the perfect alternative to lugging a heavy laptop with me, overseas. I was able to work with all RAW images. After uploading/emailing, I could delete the images I didn't want so I'd have room for the next day's shots. I have about 16 Gig to work with.
The iPad is good but other options which are far more powerful and flexible exist, I have a Hanvon B10 Tablet running Win7 Ultimate x64 which has USBx2, 1xHDMI, 1xVGA and SD card reader. I'm running LR3 and uploading pics on the SD, and editing on the fly. I have the ability to run a HDMI in card via USB so i can view my K7 live tethered.

Do that on your iPad....
I would think photographers would like a device with at least an sd slot, so the iPad was just a big iPhone to me, but my B10 is totally functional with full applications and OS.
They also make good photo frames when not typing messages like these. So i say more fully featured clones and less gimped fruit...

Last edited by Freak; 08-04-2010 at 05:29 AM.
08-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Just don't tell an american that you're popping out to smoke a fag! :-o
Ha ha! When I was 16 and ignorant of British slang I had a British man say to me and my coworkers "I'm going to go out and blow a fag."!
08-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Ha ha! When I was 16 and ignorant of British slang I had a British man say to me and my coworkers "I'm going to go out and blow a fag."!
I bet that got some wide eyed looks. LOL.

08-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
The iPad is good but other options which are far more powerful and flexible exist, I have a Hanvon B10 Tablet running Win7 Ultimate x64 which has USBx2, 1xHDMI, 1xVGA and SD card reader. I'm running LR3 and uploading pics on the SD, and editing on the fly. I have the ability to run a HDMI in card via USB so i can view my K7 live tethered.

Do that on your iPad....
I would think photographers would like a device with at least an sd slot, so the iPad was just a big iPhone to me, but my B10 is totally functional with full applications and OS.
They also make good photo frames when not typing messages like these. So i say more fully featured clones and less gimped fruit...
You lost all credibility once you said "just a big iPhone"

So you have a POS Chinese iPad knockoff. How long does the battery last? 3-4 hours if you're lucky? Just hearing Windows and tablet makes me cringe.

There is a SD slot for the iPad, its called the camera connection kit.
08-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
You lost all credibility once you said "just a big iPhone"
Yeah Apple did too.....

QuoteQuote:
So you have a POS Chinese iPad knockoff.
Nah Apple didn't invent the Tablet, they have been around in various forms for years, You obviously only hear of the trendy overpriced, under developed and over marketed electronics from American fruit marketeers.

See a knockoff would tend to indicate a lacking feature set and of lesser quality, which exactly what the iPad is to myself. But Apple products tend be designed well for the likes of yourself obviously, good for you. I wasn't attacking the iPad, only the ignorance of some of it's users.

Anyway it wasn't attack for your over zealous fanboisim, I was just indicating that for real photographers perhaps running Lightroom, ACR and Photoshop and displaying a Portfolio on a more grown up tablet is also an option, Apple is hardly the only tablet in town. Just the the most over hyped.

Your attacks of others who have devices different to yourself is obviously very grown up and well thought out, in fact most of your points are valid for me too.

QuoteQuote:
How long does the battery last? 3-4 hours if you're lucky?
Asking because you are curious, or because your ego needs to beat down the one thing my tablet does less well than yours?

QuoteQuote:
Just hearing Windows and tablet makes me cringe.
Well obviously underpowered toy app launcher OS are more your thing, unfortunately most of my Photo editing software does not like it at all...

QuoteQuote:
There is a SD slot for the iPad, its called the camera connection kit.
Hehehehe, Yeah my real SD and USB, and HDMI ports are laughing.....

My post was was only agreeing that Tablets are cool devices that can complement Photographers in the field. Your posts were simple and unfortunate typical of the Apple ignorance, which believes anything that you own is great, but everything you have never tried sucks! Congrats!
08-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Anyway it wasn't attack for your over zealous fanboisim, I was just indicating that for real photographers perhaps running Lightroom, ACR and Photoshop and displaying a Portfolio on a more grown up tablet is also an option, Apple is hardly the only tablet in town. Just the the most over hyped.
It certainly has the nicest screen of any tablet I've seen. And I expect the next version to follow the iPhone 4 in having a 300+ppi display.

I haven't looked at the Hanvon B10; I don't know about its color rendition, but it is a bigger screen with fewer pixels.
08-11-2010, 05:35 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this discussion which is interesting when it doesn't go into Pro/Anti Apple etc. but is there still any link with Pentax in this discussion?
08-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #103
Veteran Member

3-4h of battery life for a tablet is a big no-no for me. I'm currently using a Kindle and I enjoy the fact the battery can last days without recharging. Of course they all have their particular use, the Kindle is B&W and made mostly for reading. The iPad is very tempting, I think Apple nailed the UI and I have to give them that, they are very good with usability. But the thing I really hate about Apple is their business model, extremely similar to Microsoft, they try to lock you in. I really hope that someone will come with a more open system, maybe a Tablet based on Android.

And a big deal also is the lack of a SD port. It is an intentional crippling so they can sell you a 16Gb, 32Gb or a 64Gb iPad. I know you can buy the camera kit but it's an extra and it's not as nice as to have it integrated.
08-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #104
Site Supporter

5:00 PM EDT (2:00 PM PDT) August 11th

The Photography app smackdown on TUAW TV Live today
08-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #105
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
There are 2 million iPads ALREADY out there, and the bleedin' things don't have internal SD slots.

The first camera maker to market a consumer DSLR with WiFi is going to make hay. If it came with an iPad post-processing app, all the better.

You can also be certain that Lightroom and Aperture are under development for the iPad.
Useless move for useless gadget.