Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, for strolling even more off topic, but your post cries out loud for some added comments:

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Sounds paradox? No, it isn't. In order to optimize long-term shareholder value, you have to ignore short-term shareholder value. So, the most successful companies either aren't public (the famous German hidden champions who own large parts of their resp. world markets), have a family as shareholder, or have a policy to ignore their shareholders. Best then to not have more than 50% listed though
This is one of the reasons, why some of those companies, that are leading in their fields belong to foundations and not to any commercial entity (the Zeiss/Schott Foundation, the FAZ Foundation, Software AG etc., to name but a few) This is a highly successful modell. The ROI may be below some daring ventures, but it is solid over decades or, in some cases, centuries…

One way to improve the world financial system would be a rule that if you buy stock, you cannot sell earlier than after five years. Or pay a high tax. To buy stock for resale after 1 hour is not investment.
I would know some people, who would show some "interest" in your proposal: Send it here: FDP-Bundestagsfraktion, Platz der Republik 1, 11011 Berlin

As for Siemens, you're right, they're earning their money elsewhere (medical, power plants, trains ...). But this doesn't mean they cannot succeed in areas closer to the end user. In fact, they really should to stay competitive as a whole.
Siemens, isn't that the "financial institution with some industrial appendix"? That's how I have become to know it. But quite successfuil in their financial investments.

Ben

06-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #62
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
Should work for what?

I don't know that the iPad can communicate Ad Hoc, and even if so Eye Fi would have to make an App to "receive" pictures on the iPad via Ad Hoc. Might as well just use the iPad camera connection kit at that point.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CgABZVNjU[/YT]
06-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CgABZVNjU[/YT]

Yep, need a 'mobile wireless router'. That's pretty much useless at that point.
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

What, exactly, does one do with an overgrown iPad touch?
Spread germs.

06-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Spread germs.
06-24-2010, 04:33 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
Yep, need a 'mobile wireless router'. That's pretty much useless at that point.
Well, jogiba really "forgot" to tell us it's requiring a MiFi.

Using a MiFi however isn't useless exactly. Of course, it would be better if the iPad could act as a MiFi itself, like many Android devices actually do. So, I guess, that will come some day as well... Or is already possible with a jailbroken iPad. Don't know.

The link to the ShutterSnitch APP however was useful. Quite interesting. If now this app could save a .lrc file
06-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #67

Well, jogiba really "forgot" to tell us it's requiring a MiFi.

Using a MiFi however isn't useless exactly. Of course, it would be better if the iPad could act as a MiFi itself, like many Android devices actually do. So, I guess, that will come some day as well... Or is already possible with a jailbroken iPad. Don't know.

The link to the ShutterSnitch APP however was useful. Quite interesting. If now this app could save a .lrc file
ShutterSnitch IS cool. If the iPad could talk Ad Hoc to avoid having to have a wireless router with you it would be real sweet. I do have an airport express, but of course it's not battery powered or anything... I use it in conjunction with my older Airport Extreme so that I have a 5.0GHz "N" network for my faster devices and a b/g network off the Express for my iPhone and other non N stuff.

Works real well bridged.

06-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is USB under development for the iPad? :tongue:
No, but I hear a mouse where the entire device is a button is in the process.
06-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #69
Banned

I was at the Apple Store yesterday playing with the iPad viewing my youtube videos and it was a royal pain compared to my laptop with mouse. When I would touch what should have been a link to my videos it would go to some other videos. I would rather get a Dell Studio 17 (1749) Core i7 17.3-inch (900p) Core i7 Quad-core Laptop for $959.99 w/free shipping.
$219 off + $90 Coupon Dell Studio 17 Core i7 17.3-inch (900p) Core i7 Quad-core Laptop - LogicBUY
06-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I was at the Apple Store yesterday playing with the iPad viewing my youtube videos and it was a royal pain compared to my laptop with mouse. When I would touch what should have been a link to my videos it would go to some other videos. I would rather get a Dell Studio 17 (1749) Core i7 17.3-inch (900p) Core i7 Quad-core Laptop for $959.99 w/free shipping.
$219 off + $90 Coupon Dell Studio 17 Core i7 17.3-inch (900p) Core i7 Quad-core Laptop - LogicBUY
You compare a 3.5kg notebook with a DIN A3 footprint with an iPad (>0.8kg and app. DIN A5 footprint)! Apples and oranges would be closer than these two products.

Ben
06-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
You compare a 3.5kg notebook with a DIN A3 footprint with an iPad (>0.8kg and app. DIN A5 footprint)! Apples and oranges would be closer than these two products.
But the key is web experience, regardless of device. And iPad is supposed to revolutionize our web experience! And Steve told us that we don't need flash either.
OTOH, my friend is pretty pissed that his 3G iPad cannot play any of the free world cup live video stream offered by network and cable web sites (CBC and Rogers on Demand) here in Canada, while any lowly netbooks can... 'cos they are all in flash!
06-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's several options out there that compete with an iPad. I've thought about the iPad as they look pretty cool, but I'd want to be able to plug in my SD card without carrying around a bunch of other junk (even the iPad camera kit). Check out this link:

Tablet PC Reviews: A Guide To 9 iPad Alternatives (PHOTOS)
06-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But the key is web experience, regardless of device. And iPad is supposed to revolutionize our web experience! And Steve told us that we don't need flash either.
OTOH, my friend is pretty pissed that his 3G iPad cannot play any of the free world cup live video stream offered by network and cable web sites (CBC and Rogers on Demand) here in Canada, while any lowly netbooks can... 'cos they are all in flash!
Personally I find Flash obsolete. I mostly skip photographer's websites, when they use Flash, as it is a waste of time. But I can see some demand for it and I am not sure, whether the ommitment of Flash on the iPad is currently a wise decision.

If I read Apple's website correctly, everybody could have been fully aware of the limitations of the iPad before buying, by the way.

And it is sure not meant to compete with a fully fledged notebook, also. I for once would not see it as a substitute for my Macbook and Apple does not promote it that way. It is a different device or gadget and nobody is forced to buy it.

Ben
06-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #74
Veteran Member

But the key is web experience, regardless of device. And iPad is supposed to revolutionize our web experience! And Steve told us that we don't need flash either

Alas no.

The more devices of various screen dimensions and brighter screens there are the more website designers will have to come up with sites that can be viewed satisfactorily on them all. This puts major constraints on what can be done and consequently websites will come to look much the same as the lowest common denominators are scrambled for, in other words it will become a far more boring place.
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
But the key is web experience, regardless of device. And iPad is supposed to revolutionize our web experience! And Steve told us that we don't need flash either

Alas no.

The more devices of various screen dimensions and brighter screens there are the more website designers will have to come up with sites that can be viewed satisfactorily on them all. This puts major constraints on what can be done and consequently websites will come to look much the same as the lowest common denominators are scrambled for, in other words it will become a far more boring place.
The iPad was NOT the first device with a 10" screen and it certainly won't be the last.

Does a Netbook work for me? No, it's not quite portable enough to carry with me with my camera gear, it's not really great for bed use, etc. Does it work for some people? Definitely! I won't write those devices off saying they're garbage and serve no purpose simply because they don't serve a purpose for me.

Does an iPad work for me? I love it! It can come with me and my camera gear and it can be used at night and in the morning from bed to watch a movie, read a book, or do the millions of other things it can do. Additionally, sitting around on the couches and stuff is GREAT with an iPad. So yes, I love the idea of the iPad. Does that mean everyone needs to? No.

And that's just fine.