Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DA-L 35mm f/??

Hi guys, I got a rumor for your (hope this isn't old news!).

I'll give credit to where I got it from, which is from a popular Malaysian photo forum which I am a part of:

Rumor: DA-L 35mm f/?.? coming soon? - PhotoMalaysia Community

What do you think?

06-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, that's really not much to go by. I could say I heard something from some dealer, and that doesn't make it true.

However, such a lens would make sense, to me. But that's a whole other discussion
06-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

"Source via Ricehigh."

Your Seal of Absolute Crap.
06-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, there has been speculation in this very forum about such a lens.
Or actually more a wish from some here.
Perhaps this "Malaysian community" has got it from here.

Let's see.
A DA L 35 f/2, without lens hood, without QuickShift, without distance info scale and without DOF-scale, but with plastic lens mount.

I would buy one right away - NOT!

However, a DA 35 f/2 WR with lens hood, QuickShift, distance info scale, DOF scale and metal lens mount would be more tempting. But would be too expensive for those wanting that ultra cheap lens.

Pentax could of course make two versions. One DA L and one DA WR for those wanting the extra features. Same optics of course.

06-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #5

Maybe

Maybe the unexpected wild success of K-x has created the need of cheaper 35mm prime the demand of which wasn't deemed to exist before?

Just saying.

It seems to be a good thing for Pentax and for consumers in general regardless whether *we* will buy it or not, judging from the reaction of the linked forum.

We're enthusiasts, we pay big bucks for great lenses regardless of the existence of cheaper ones. Sadly, most consumers are not enthusiasts - and I can imagine most of their new customers coming through a K-x body are not enthusiasts. This lens will be for them, and will be a wild success, just like the K-x.
06-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Well, there has been speculation in this very forum about such a lens.
Or actually more a wish from some here.
Perhaps this "Malaysian community" has got it from here.

Let's see.
A DA L 35 f/2, without lens hood, without QuickShift, without distance info scale and without DOF-scale, but with plastic lens mount.

I would buy one right away - NOT!

However, a DA 35 f/2 WR with lens hood, QuickShift, distance info scale, DOF scale and metal lens mount would be more tempting. But would be too expensive for those wanting that ultra cheap lens.

Pentax could of course make two versions. One DA L and one DA WR for those wanting the extra features. Same optics of course.
I agree with you that a weather sealed wide to normal lens in the form of a DA35WR would be a welcome addition. However, I think the DAL 35 f/2 would be really, really popular with K-x owners if they could keep it below $200.

And if we're imagining K-x users buying this lens, I don't know if weathersealing is really that compelling, as their cameras are not sealed in the first place.
06-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
"Source via Ricehigh."

. give the guy some credit, atleast he's much more interested in promoting Pentax than his beloved Canon.

06-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
. give the guy some credit, atleast he's much more interested in promoting Pentax than his beloved Canon.
He's like the polar opposite of Samsungian!
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Price says everything. If it stays under 300$, and has the optical quality Pentax is used to provide, i bet it would be another nobrainer must have, like FA50/1.4 was or EF50/1.8 s for Canon.
06-04-2010, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a nice concept. The Canon 50 mm f1.8 has a notoriously bad build and has a tendency to fall apart under moderate useage. I wouldn't like to see Pentax release something along these lines (although I haven't heard similar reports of the Pentax DA L lenses). At the same time, I don't want to hurt the upper end lens sales ( personally doubt that the DA L lenses really steal much from the upper ends anyway).
06-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a nice concept. The Canon 50 mm f1.8 has a notoriously bad build and has a tendency to fall apart under moderate useage. I wouldn't like to see Pentax release something along these lines (although I haven't heard similar reports of the Pentax DA L lenses). At the same time, I don't want to hurt the upper end lens sales ( personally doubt that the DA L lenses really steal much from the upper ends anyway).
Indeed. However...it doesn't explain Nikon users who are happy with their 50mm f/1.8, costing around $130, for not having the problems that the Canon 50/1.8 do. So maybe it's the problems of specific lenses?
06-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #12

The 50/1.8 is fine. It's their 50/1.4USM that tends to fall apart.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
06-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Forum Member

Version II is pretty poorly constructed, just read Amazon reviews (like here). Anyway, I think how satisfied you are with a particular lens depends on what your expectations. Those that buy the 50 mm f1.8 lenses are comparing it to the kit lens and just want something sharper that allows more shallow depth of field. Concepts like bokeh are not so important to them. Hence the reason that the 50 f1.8's review better than Canon's 50mm f1.2 lens.
06-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
"Source via Ricehigh."

sounds like this Ricehigh guy has got quite a reputation here!
06-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nextimelah Quote
sounds like this Ricehigh guy has got quite a reputation here!
he's actually an open contradiction. he criticizes Pentax so much and dissatisfied, yet he continues to look or post new articles concerning Pentax everytime. if I was his Canon gear which he loves very much to death, I would be extremely jealous for the lack of attention I'm getting from him.