Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #196
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The image I showed was converted with PPL, which usually is better at this than Apple built-in RAW which I usually use. But in this case they were similar.
PPL is the worst. C1Pro works with moire very good.

06-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"C1Pro works with moire very good"

I concur, C1 works very well with different types of moire. and suppresses it's effects quite well..though it is not as good as taking a shot without moire in the first place. Capture one uses what I consider to be overly aggressive sharpening, and colour rendition* is drastically different from Light room - and I'm using Version 5.

Luminance moire is very difficult to get rid of. So the best advice I can give is that photographers who shoot subjects that suffer from it to be handy with the clone tool and luminance layers in photo shop.

*this is most apparent with skin tones. fortunately C1 does have a skin tone editor, but it has to be used with restraint.
06-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #198

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Why shouldn't Pentax have fast AF? Why shouldn't they have long, fast lenses and high ISO sensitivity? Why not? Are these bad things?
No, not at all. They are very good indeed. It is just that if you do not have them in your arsenal, they will be very expensive to develop and implement. And personally, in a financial situation like this, I do believe Pentax will choose the efficient path and not the prestigious one - and IMHO they will very well do so. After all, all you have to do is take a look at how many K-x's have been sold and how many K7s.

There's no reason why a 35mm-styled camera from Pentax should just have higher res and that's it.
This is your opinion, and I disagree with it. A higher resolution FF with decent specs (not top) at a great price (645D is not exactly affordable), will be a product that will convince most of the K10 and K20 owners who were not convinced by the K7 to upgrade (and there are many of them).

Whatever the case, the next camera better have a sweet-shaped pentaprism housing.
I totally agree. I would also like to point that there's no logic in making a metal body and paint it so it looks like plastic. Bring back the spotmatic color scheme please.

Before anything else, what matters to me most is the viability of the brand. Rumours that Canon planned to buy Pentax and kill it were my personal nightmare. I do not have Pentax or Hoya shares, I do not work for them, I just value my equipment and I intend to keep buying Pentax gear. It is a means of preserving memories that I have been happy with so far. (However I bought a Sony a850 too and have not upgraded from K20 to K7).
So, before my personal wishes (I would surely love to have a Pentax branded D3x selling for less than $2K, but this would probably sink the entire industry), I try to envision a less optimistic, but more realistic future...
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye:
BTW, you can order the 645D with or without an AA filter. So, there is no Pentax decision I could disapprove.
Interesting, I didn't know that.
This is what I heard Pentax say.

However, the current sales literature seems to be more vague now:
QuoteQuote:
It seems as if the sensor assembly can accept a low-pass filter that might be included if there is a demand. It would be rather expensive though, that's why it is not there now, if I understand them correctly. Hopefully, this makes more sense to you…
From https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/104396-copy-atmosphere...ml#post1073925

06-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I wish I could have had my K-7's AA filter taken out to see what happens.
To reiterate on a discussion started by the above remark ...

The first blogger (after having shot with the 645D) is wondering about strange color artefacts:

Manza Hotel test shoot. Chris Willson's Blog

(its a mild case where window frames turn out with random hue). I left a comment explaining it's coming from the drop of AA filter (mine was the second such comment).

So, the 645D firmware does not "magically" remove the issue and I would seriously consider ordering the 645D with AA option.

Of course, more tests are required. Anybody wanting to let me a 645D?
06-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #201
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the megapixel APS c sensors being around 14.6 like the K-7 and K20d, and the Full Frame sensors being as low as 12 like the D700, I find it highly doubtful that anyone would delve into a 20+ megapixel APS-c sensor. This has to be news of a full frame sensor. The only discrepancy is why has Pentax discontinued the FA50 f1.4 if they were going the full frame route?

All I can say is I've been waiting too long for full frame and am getting very antsy. The next manufacturer that releases one is getting my money. Whether it be Pentax, Canon with a 5d MkII replacement, or Nikon with a D700 replacement. Those two models are 2 years old now, so something has to be around the corner.
06-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
To reiterate on a discussion started by the above remark ...

The first blogger (after having shot with the 645D) is wondering about strange color artefacts:

Manza Hotel test shoot. Chris Willson's Blog

(its a mild case where window frames turn out with random hue). I left a comment explaining it's coming from the drop of AA filter (mine was the second such comment).

So, the 645D firmware does not "magically" remove the issue and I would seriously consider ordering the 645D with AA option.

Of course, more tests are required. Anybody wanting to let me a 645D?
Who is that guy and how did he get a 645d?

06-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #203
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
He simply bought 645D with DFA55...
06-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #204
K-9
Veteran Member

Someone at dpreview forum had an excellent point in that unless Pentax is making it's own sensors, if someone manufactured a new 20+ APSc sized sensor, it would have been leaked news already. Seems illogical that Pentax would get it before any other manufacturer either. I doubt they are making their own new APS sensor, which would be the only way they could keep it under such tight wraps.

This has to be full frame. Kx, K7, and the K-new will be the 3 in the Pentax lineup now.
06-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #205
emr

QuoteQuote:
Travel writer and photographer based in Okinawa, Japan.
Flickr: Travel 67
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #206
Veteran Member

If you look at his website, you'll find that he lives on Okinawa. He can simply order one from one of the Pentax retailers in Tokyo.

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
This has to be full frame...
Or simply wrong.
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #207
Veteran Member

I couldn't care less unless it's full frame, has a significantly better dynamic range (especially a significantly less sharp drop off at the shadow end), than the current samsung sensor and produces significantly less noise.

It is beyond me why anyone would get excited about a 21MP APS-C sensor.
Why don't people realize there is more to camera quality than a @#&* pixel count.
If people stop cheering about pixel count maybe Pentax would start paying some attention to things that really matter.

Last edited by Agnostic; 06-21-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Just because
06-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
It is beyond me why anyone would get excited about a 21MP APS-C sensor.
Why don't people realize there is more to camera quality than a @#&* pixel count.
If people stop cheering about pixel count maybe Pentax would start paying some attention to things that really matter.
Yeah, shame on those people at Pentax. Why, rather than producing a redesigned magnesium body with improved AF, a 100%-view viewfinder, a super-quiet and fast shutter, 77-segment metering, horizon correction, much improved auto white balance, etc., etc., when it came time to upgrade the K20D, all they did was double the megapixel count. Too bad they can't pay attention to more than that!
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #209
Veteran Member

You made my day
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Someone at dpreview forum had an excellent point in that unless Pentax is making it's own sensors, if someone manufactured a new 20+ APSc sized sensor, it would have been leaked news already. .
??? You mean there is no 21mp leak? Why do we have this thread? Remember, Pentax "made" the first 14mp sensor...