Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
Forum Member
supertrac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: BIGTX
Photos: Albums
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Maybe Hoya's founder's grandson can shed some light here on this forum, no??
what? you kidding? he probably doesn't even know if this forum exist, if he knows he doesn't give a c...!

06-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
it says "35mm version (21.1MP).
That's an interesting bit of information indeed.

Canon 5DmkII is 21.0, not 21.1 MP.
Canon 1Ds mkIII is 21.0, not 21.1 MP. But it was advertized as 21.1 MP.
A 35mm snippet from a 645D is 23.8 MP.

So, it was most likely compared to a Canon 1Ds mkIII. Not quoting the exact competitor is normal tradition in many countries. I guess this includes Japan. I remember to have already seen "A/B/Pentax" comparisons from Pentax indeed.
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 190
Well Pentax did use Canon dSLR's for their product shots in the past, when the K10D was introduced the pictures of the K10D were made with a Canon FF dSLR back then.
It is likely for me that they did the same now.
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by supertrac Quote
what? you kidding? he probably doesn't even know if this forum exist, if he knows he doesn't give a c...!
Isn't that the truth. If he were here and had in clout, he would have been providing daddy with some input from the hard core Pentaxians. He probably uses a Digi-Lux anyway.

06-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
  • Samsung : APSC 14Mpx (unlikely as relationship seems bad, see K-x)
  • Sony : APSC 12Mpx (K-x's sensor)
  • Sony : ASPC 14Mpx (Sony's A380/A450/A550)
I feel it necessary to point out: Just because the K-x uses a Sony sensor does not in any way mean that Pentax's relationship with Samsung's sensor division has soured. Look at the past: All the while Samsung sensors were used in the top-rung K20D and K-7, Sony sensors were used in the entry-level K200D and K-m. The fact that the K-x now also has a Sony sensor doesn't really imply anything about any changes in the previous pattern and relationships.

On the other hand, we have knowledge now of further-developed Samsung APS-C sensors on their way, and if the past patterns are any indication it would not be at all surprising if the next upper-level Pentax has a Samsung sensor and the entry-level stays with Sony sensors, just as in the previous two generations.

The 14mp Sony sensor from the A380/A450/A550, however... I really hope not. The files from that sensor have not impressed me at all. The newer iteration seen in the NEX cameras, however, seems to have the characteristics of a slightly improved, higher-resolution K-x sensor. I would very much like to see that sensor or something similar in a Pentax camera.
06-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Samsung : APSC 14Mpx (unlikely as relationship seems bad, see K-x)
One single choice of an alternate supplier equals a bad relationship? So all Pentax's models have to use sensors from the same supplier, regardless of whose sensors offer a feature-set closest to what Pentax desires for a particular model, for their relationship with the supplier to be considered good?

Pentax's current flagship camera is based around a Samsung sensor, and the previous flagship camera was also based around a Samsung sensor. That's no more a guarantee that the relationship is good, than Pentax's choice of a Sony sensor for one specific model implies the Samsung relationship is bad -- but it does suggest that one shouldn't be so quick to jump to a conclusion.
06-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I feel it necessary to point out: Just because the K-x uses a Sony sensor does not in any way mean that Pentax's relationship with Samsung's sensor division has soured. Look at the past: All the while Samsung sensors were used in the top-rung K20D and K-7, Sony sensors were used in the entry-level K200D and K-m. The fact that the K-x now also has a Sony sensor doesn't really imply anything about any changes in the previous pattern and relationships.
And *all* the Pentax DSLRs before the K20D used a Sony sensor as well, if I'm not mistaken.
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,257
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
And *all* the Pentax DSLRs before the K20D used a Sony sensor as well, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep but then, there was no proper competition from other suppliers either.
Speculation is so much fun

06-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member
fikkser's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Borlänge, Sweden
Posts: 373
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's an interesting bit of information indeed.

Canon 5DmkII is 21.0, not 21.1 MP.
Canon 1Ds mkIII is 21.0, not 21.1 MP. But it was advertized as 21.1 MP.
A 35mm snippet from a 645D is 23.8 MP.

So, it was most likely compared to a Canon 1Ds mkIII. Not quoting the exact competitor is normal tradition in many countries. I guess this includes Japan. I remember to have already seen "A/B/Pentax" comparisons from Pentax indeed.
As I said 5D mk2 is 21.1 and 1Ds mk3 is 21.9 or something if I remember correctly. Effective pixels.

Table 2: Comparison of EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D specifications
06-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
As I said 5D mk2 is 21.1 and 1Ds mk3 is 21.9 or something if I remember correctly.
Let's say it's close enough. If I count pixels in sample images it is like I said.
06-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,387
groan... not more FF rumours. zzzzzzzz

I laugh at all the gigantic FF canons and nikons with 2kg lenses being hauled to junior soccer matches and the zoo. As it is, much of the time, my K-7 is larger than necessary and a P&S could have done the job just as well.
06-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #27
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
groan... not more FF rumours. zzzzzzzz

I laugh at all the gigantic FF canons and nikons with 2kg lenses being hauled to junior soccer matches and the zoo. As it is, much of the time, my K-7 is larger than necessary and a P&S could have done the job just as well.

Thank you for sharing that with us. I am sure that you get invited to lots of parties.
06-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep for 21MP to be true, it would mean either new sensor from Samsung (unlikely since Samsung isn't into DSLR anymore)...
Samsung hasn't officially stated they're out of the DSLR game (that I'm aware of) but they most likely are. But that's because they're focusing all their efforts on their NEX MILC line, which uses APS-C sensors. Samsung will continue to develop new sensors and, given their firm commitment to rule the MILC market (and this has been publicly stated), they'll probably get better at it as time goes on. In short: Samsung is a viable provider of APS-C sensors for Pentax.

...
06-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #29
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,257
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
In short: Samsung is a viable provider of APS-C sensors for Pentax.

...
Agreed but unless Samsung goes back to DSLR big time (and need FF) I don't see them develop and produce a sensor solely for Pentax.
APS-C sensors is a different story altogether, Samsung needs'em anyway.
06-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The 14mp Sony sensor from the A380/A450/A550, however... I really hope not. The files from that sensor have not impressed me at all.
Do not judge potential Pentax IQ by looking at samples from other brands. Pentax have consistently shown they can squeeze better performance out of Sony sensors than either Sony or Nikon can. They've also done this with the K-7 Samsung sensor, which resides in the Samsung NX10 too. The K-7 produces nicer looking images than the NX10 at all ISOs.

We can fault Pentax for a lot of things (and we do!), but they have image processing down to an Art.

...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, comparison, ff, flower, heck, page, pentax news, pentax rumors, pictures, post, thread, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Rumours Are Born: New 30mm Prime Lens Coming Soon Miserere Pentax News and Rumors 45 06-09-2010 09:54 AM
Can lenses of SF10 SLR be used on *ist DL 6.1MP ? sintoo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 03-20-2010 07:30 PM
For Sale - Sold: Samsung GX-1L 6.1MP DSLR Camera and lenses ShadyJC Sold Items 10 08-12-2009 12:53 PM
Rumours MJB DIGITAL Pentax News and Rumors 5 05-03-2008 01:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top