Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Sounds incredible. I've never seen a Pentax DSLR in the public in Sweden, only in stores. Think I once saw a super zoom of some kind but that's all. Pentax share in Sweden appears to be 0 to me.

06-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

My observation is that Pentax is no 3 in the charts at Amazon US and Japan. Olympus and Panasonic is ahead of Sony, but behind Pentax. However, the micro 4/3 is growing strong.
Worldwide, Sony is ahead of Pentax simply because Sony has distribution in more countries. In countries where they both has distribution, Pentax is ahead.
Sony has more retailers and shops, and they also has more products (with their almost endless 200-300-500 products and they are coming out with new ones all the time).
In Sweden, the K-7 and K-x has done well and both has been in the charts - K-7 got at no 2 for highest chart position at one of the leading internet stores here - Cyberphoto. Both the K-7 and the K-x was in the top chart from winter to this spring. They have just recently fallen out of the top. This is quite impressive.
Now, this chart is dominated by Canon and Nikon. Pentax was the only brand other than Canon and Nikon entering the top chart. Neither Olympus, Panasonic or Sony has suceeded in entering it.

What is confusing is all the colour options for the K-x, this means that each colour is treated as a separate model. If all K-x colour versions were treated together as one model, then the K-x would get much higher in the charts.
06-10-2010, 04:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
My ongoing observation in Tokyo would be that Pentax has the #3 spot.

Just my 2 yen.
It's true. I think the K-x and the big marketing push behind it has really improved Pentax's fortunes here. Pentax has a lasting hit with that concept: price plus attractive design plus image quality. Two years ago I was recommending the Olympus models to friends who'd ask. Now it's definitely the K-x.

To my mind the most amazing thing is how nobody in Japan really seems to use any of the middle ground cameras. On the weekend we took the boy out for his first festival in which a portable shrine is carried around the neighbourhood. There were DSLR's from every brand with no brand dominating (I even saw my first Panasonic DSLR in the real world much to my astonishment). There were a couple of video cam's .. the rest was all mobile phone cameras (resisted the urge to put that in quotes). I spotted a fellow with a 31Ltd on what I think was an old DS2. Happily, the Japanese DSLR user thinks nothing of walking around with their camera slung over their shoulder so you can usually see what they're using. And women here are big DSLR users.
06-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It is also telling that there's been nary a whisper from Canikon about an EVIL camera system, which says their market data may not exactly point to a slam dunk for this category by any means.
Actually, there has been a lot of rumors about Canon/Nikon EVIL. Both have been filing patents related to such system, particularly Nikon, with patents on the new lens mount, and a complete new lens line-up. Of course, whether it would materialize is up to anyone guess (remember Nikon MX?), and there is a lot of noise on something coming up in Photokina. I personally hope that the rumored system is not true, as they were looking at a smaller than 4/3 sized 17mm sensor. I hope they would change their mind after Samsung and Sony APS-C system release.

Anyways, they are in no hurry to jump into EVIL as they have market domination. Any new system would cannibalize their existing line-up; so they will make sure the profit margin is there before they join the party. But they will join most definitely; within the next couple of years if not this year.