Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Third Most Popular Behind Canon and Nikon? Part Deux

I posted the first part of this survey yesterday, so I thought I would post a link to the second part dealing with what specific DSLR people are using.

No real surprise, the first DSLR to show up is the K20 followed by the K10, the K7 and the K-X.

And yes I know what Mark Twain said about statistics, I just thought it was interesting to see the breakdown.

Last edited by bigdog104; 06-10-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Listed cameras in wrong order.
06-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I quit reading at:

QuoteQuote:
the entry level Pentax K-20D
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
And yes I know what Mark Twain said about statistics, I just thought it was interesting to see the breakdown.
That was Ralph Waldo Emerson!
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well if we are talking about the quote, "Lies, damned lies and statistics". I always heard it was Twain. Who, according to the ever popular but known to be wrong Wikipedia, got it from Disraeli.

06-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did one of you guys write this?

QuoteQuote:
Funny that the K20D is mentioned as an “entry level” camera.

But then again when you’re on the dark side, I guess that anything that’s not part of the Canikon “Evil Empire” would be considered of lesser importance…
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I liked the Pentax world a lot better when their cameras were less popular; the lenses were cheaper on ebay and from Canada.

We could always look forward to celebrating the traditional New Years prediction: this is the last year for Pentax.

Someone is spoiling the fun out there

IMHO,
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In this case, it's a matter of small sample size. The site's advertise-with-us page claims "2.5 million+ unique visitors a month" (I'm skeptical), but only 1800 people took the survey.

The difference between the K-7 and K10D is one camera -- and hey, I visit that site sometimes, and I have a K-7, and I didn't vote in the survey. If I had, the K-7 would have moved up two ranks.

It's really, really, really not enough to extrapolate anything from other than the clear statements of: Nikon and Canon are the top two, and the D90 and Rebel XTi are the most popular among that site's most involved readers.

06-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Well if we are talking about the quote, "Lies, damned lies and statistics". I always heard it was Twain. Who, according to the ever popular but known to be wrong Wikipedia, got it from Disraeli.
Statistically speaking...which one of us is right?
06-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is not scientific or reliable in any way. But still it might give a good hint. You'd have to consider a lot of variables. 1800 people leaves a huge margin of error, in statistics you want a sample of atleast 20 000 people to determine something of one population.

Are canon and nikon users generally younger than pentax users? Do younger people use the internet more then old people? Are the younger people therefore overrepresented in the survey? Are canon and nikon users more tech crazy, reading tests and news also leading to an overrepresentation on the internet?

What nationalities are represented on the site? Overrepresentation of some country where some brand is very small?

Can go on with my BS forever. Anyway I'm glad that Pentax are doing better. But in Sweden? I've NEVER seen anyone using a Pentax DSLR in Sweden, only myself, got a hard time believing that Pentax is even in the top 5 with what *I* think is canon, nikon, sony, olympus and panasonic (uncertain of the order of the three last). Yesterday I saw about 5 canon dslrs, 5 nikons and one Sony NEX (didn't think it was out yet) when I was out taking pics of student exams celebrationthingie. However the Swedish market is probably not even close to 1% of the total market so why care. ^^
06-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

somehow pentax has bad advertisement strategies almost everywhere except japan.
06-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's an image filled thread about Pentax selling in Japan

Here's an image filled thread about Pentax selling in Japan

Check out image two and look carefully for all the brochures under the cameras shelf.
All the colored K-x dslrs represented in glass cases.

Pentax puts the effort into selling equiptment in Japan.

Pentax Shrine - Photo.net Pentax Forum
06-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yoshizuki Quote
somehow pentax has bad advertisement strategies almost everywhere except japan.
Here in Norway Pentax seems to be much more present now than just a few months ago - just yesterday I saw the third shop within a few hundred meters distance from my office starting to carry Pentax again. And the main reason is that the K-x was the winner of a recent test on a very prominent site and television channel.
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #13

Pentax also seems to be more visible in the UK - including a full page advert for the K-7 on the inside front cover of one of the glossy monthly photo magazines (I can't remember the last time they advertised anything). The new compacts seem to be a little more apparent as well.

Actually, I think Pentax should aim to be number three for dSLR sales. The four thirds system appears to have stalled, as micro four thirds has become such a success story - so Pentax ought to be able to make a dent in the Olympus market (I think the brands share similar ethos and appeal to similar photographers). Unless Sony make some more compelling dSLRs soon, I'm not convinced that they are in dSLR for the long haul either.
06-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I quit reading at:
Features aside, from a price perspective the K20D is pretty much entry level if you're used to paying $1500+ for a camera.
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Here in Norway Pentax seems to be much more present now than just a few months ago - just yesterday I saw the third shop within a few hundred meters distance from my office starting to carry Pentax again.
I wish they would begin to carry them around here again. The main camera store stopped selling Pentax about 9 months ago and they are giving no indications they'll pick it back up. One sure can hope though!