Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #136

Did you see what happened to Saab? Oh Dear...

07-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakhead Quote
Did you see what happened to Saab? Oh Dear...
Well, Saab is now owned by the Dutch Spyker company (I'm a Dutchman myself), so I'd love a Pentax owned by a Dutch company
07-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #138
Forum Member

''Well, Saab is now owned by the Dutch Spyker company (I'm a Dutchman myself), so I'd love a Pentax owned by a Dutch company ''.

A little bit out of the topic, but do you know who owns that small special car company Dutch Spyder
(at least by the time when that Saab deal is reality)?
07-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harmonica Quote
''Well, Saab is now owned by the Dutch Spyker company (I'm a Dutchman myself), so I'd love a Pentax owned by a Dutch company ''.

A little bit out of the topic, but do you know who owns that small special car company Dutch Spyder
(at least by the time when that Saab deal is reality)?
Maybe my info is getting a little outdated indeed. Do you mean GM?

07-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #140
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe my info is getting a little outdated indeed. Do you mean GM?
Noupe...for my understanding GM owned Saab (but not Spyder). Correct?

So I just tried to understand how such a small car company as Dutch Spyder was able (and also willing) to buy much bigger car cmpany Saab (expecially because Saab's financial situation was not very good).
07-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #141
Site Supporter

The CEO of the Spijker company is Victor R Muller. He was the major drive behind the take over of Saab from GM by Spijker. He has quite a reputation in the field of restructuring companies which were on the way going down.
Here is a link to the Spijker website : Company | Spykercars
07-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #142
Forum Member

Thanx....of course...that still do not show where the money itself has come to this deal.

Nowdays its starts to be quite difficult to really find out who in the end owns one company today's global world. Many cases there might be several other companies/owners behaind one company, and again these companies can be owned some other companies => building up a real matrix picture. And here in Europe....expecially if the final money comes from ******.

Last edited by Harmonica; 07-01-2010 at 06:01 AM.
07-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #143
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Harmonica Quote
So I just tried to understand how such a small car company as Dutch Spyder was able (and also willing) to buy much bigger car cmpany Saab (expecially because Saab's financial situation was not very good).
Well, may be because they bought it for a song...

07-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #144
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
The CEO of the Spijker company is Victor R Muller. He was the major drive behind the take over of Saab from GM by Spijker. He has quite a reputation in the field of restructuring companies which were on the way going down.
Here is a link to the Spijker website : Company | Spykercars
Spyker is actually backed by a Russian called Antonov, the money that was handed over on February 23 2010 was his - allegedly. GM stil have preference shares in Saab.

VM was very fortunate to acquite Saab in all honesty... Much of the work in RESCUING Saab from GM was done by the Swedish Koenigsegg group - they pulled out of the deal in November 2009 and Spyker stepped into the breach.

I LOVE SAAB and PENTAX
07-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #145
Forum Member

Thanx. That was what I also thought.
07-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Thank god that Saab got sold by GM. They have managed the brand extremely bad since they took over.
Funny thing, Opel went on strike when they realized that GM would keep the company.
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #147
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Well all my info points that the K-5 will be the pro model above the K-7. So the question is what features would make the K-5 a pro above a semi-pro K-7.

I think the above list seems pretty reasonable to assume.

A WR Flash would be the next logical step IMHO given Pentax's lover affair with DR lenses, WR bodies.

For me the most important thing would be customisation/manual controls for everything the camera has, better low light AF performance, clean images, good colour, good DR and the ability to shoot at high frame rates.

That been said I find the K7 more than adequate for where I'm at with photography as a hobby, but would it be nicer to move up to something more advanced :P
better ISO
not saying the K-7 is bad, but from the look at the K-x, I can feel sure in saying
the next top of the line Pentax Camera will BE REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
07-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #148
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Uh, MZ-D is one helluva ugly camera, chunky, deformed, a total mess. I think Pentax could swipe our legs, minds and hearts if a more classic design is to be re-introduced, like Pentax ME.

I bet old school Nikon guys would sell their black dreadnoughts and bazookas and stand in the queue just to get one, because I can see many cries in their camp torn by nostalgia about the Nikon FM (and its successors) and its pure, elegant, basic, timeless design. That's very much like ME. Classic 1970s, best SLR camera design ever.

Huge pentaprism, beautiful 2 tone approach (black & metal). It goes wonderfully well with primes (and those silver FA limiteds would look amazing on that cam). No wonder everyone loves Leica M series timeless design -- it sets it apart from everything boring else today.

So far digital camera market has had a boring approach (or lack of approach -- it reminds me very much of copycat stampede), ruled by economy of scale and lack of design taste. All DSLRs look like medium sized cars today -- all boring and all the same. You see one you've seen them all. (Actually K-7 looks quite decent and elegant when compared with the rest.)

A Pentax ME classic body, updated and polished up to modern specs would stop the world for a moment.
too small of a grip
that reminds of my Canon AE-1
07-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #149
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Falk: But this doesn't mean anything over 1400$ is "FF territory"... to be so, we must have FF cameras there - and I don't see any
"FF territory", for now, is 2000$ and beyond - no matter how cheap the APS-C cameras are. Yes, there is a gap in between (on which no APS-C camera can be sold, even the 7D) - but that's another story.
For now, the most expensive APS-C is 1600$ - street price, with 100$ instant rebate. The D300s is over 1500$ (again, street price); I don't think Canon and Nikon will soon abandon the over 1000$ APS-C DSLR market - an over 500$ drop, no way. And the others... they don't really compete for "the best APS-C DSLR" (best as in: we can ask tons of money on it) market. Sony? Olympus? How old are the A700/E3? Panasonic? Did the had a top-end 4/3 DSLR at all? Samsung has given up, they were only rebranding Pentax cameras, anyway. And Pentax... the K-7, while a very nice camera, is by no means the "best" APS-C camera one can make.
You'll see, the next high-end APS-C DSLR will be well over 1000$, I'm sure of this.

These being said, I would be satisfied with an upgraded K-7 (the K-7 being already a very good camera). I'd also prefer a quieter 5.2 fps shutter/mirror mechanism than a noisier 8fps one; if by any chance Pentax would increase the frame rate, I hope they'll also put a "quiet mode" in there.
um your forgetting something!
Sony A850 is less then $2000, not by much though
07-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #150
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SimonSmyth Quote
Sony camera division somewhat suffering bipolar! I predict they will end DSLRs in the next 6-12month and focus on compacts & NEX only.
I'd like to listen your prediction about K-5's specs.