Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Some speculation on the Pro Model (K-5) Specs

1. Body similar to the MZ-D in size and design, weather sealed.
2. Newest SAFOX 11point as used in the 645D, however algorithms more optimised for fast moving action, ie sports.
3. Sony APS-C sensor.
4. 1/250 x-sync.
5. 7fps continuous shooting.
6. Prime II+
7. Full manual video mode with up to 1080p60 using MJPEG.
8. Dual SD Card slots.

Discuss......

06-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I stopped reading after #1. No way Pentax will Pentax release a gigantic camera
06-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I'd rather expect K-7 style, small, optional grip (maybe a couple of grips with different functionalities?) - but that sloped top plate is *nice*, and 645D has it...

Sensors - Samsung came up with a couple of new ones recently, maybe one of those? One of them has 10fps...
06-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I stopped reading after #1. No way Pentax will Pentax release a gigantic camera
Really? lol

I found the K-7 just too small to be comfortable, I use it all the time with the grip. I've held a Canon 1Ds and yes it's big but it's comfortable.

But from a psychological point of view a big Pro Pentax camera may strike fear into the Canikonites

06-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Really? lol

I found the K-7 just too small to be comfortable, I use it all the time with the grip. I've held a Canon 1Ds and yes it's big but it's comfortable.

But from a psychological point of view a big Pro Pentax camera may strike fear into the Canikonites
I think the K-7 is the perfect size for small primes such as the limiteds, but needs a grip to be balanced well with the larger zooms (DA* 50-135 for example). Of course, I don't have giant hands (not too small either), so I don't need an oversized camera to be happy.
06-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I think the K-7 is the perfect size for small primes such as the limiteds, but needs a grip to be balanced well with the larger zooms (DA* 50-135 for example). Of course, I don't have giant hands (not too small either), so I don't need an oversized camera to be happy.
I have big hands, but I prefer the size of my LX to the size of my K10D, and would love a smaller camera. I've held the K-7 and from that short experience, I thought I had the better grip on it than on the K10D.

My preference would be same size and good build as the K-7 but to make it at least 100 g lighter through lighter materials. I'd like a bigger camera too, but that would be the 645D after I've won the lottery
06-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would expect it to be very similar in size to the K-7. The grip can be easily added for those needing a larger body, and it allows Pentax to make more money on accessories. The size and build of the K-7 are two of the reasons the K-7 is the first Pentax I have picked up and used since the 67II.

It will be interesting to see who provides the sensor. Pentax and Samsung may have parted ways, and Sony makes very good sensors. The 15MP sensor rumored to be in the A7xx will probably be the best APS-C sensor yet. Sony is the only player with the R&D $ to produce better sensors than Canon.

The better sensor and faster AF are the two things that will matter the most.

Improve the in-body SRS.
Improve the view finder.
Provide a programmable heads-up display in the OVF.
Dual SD slots would be nice if you can back-up to the second.

More important in my mind is to improve the QC on the lens side, and improve the SDM quality/speed. Update some of the older Limiteds with modern coatings and bring back the 85MM.

06-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm just hoping...

they've left clearance for my nose...

and they bring out a weather sealed flash with it...and 250 flash sync, at least!

Cheers,
Cameron
06-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well all my info points that the K-5 will be the pro model above the K-7. So the question is what features would make the K-5 a pro above a semi-pro K-7.

I think the above list seems pretty reasonable to assume.

A WR Flash would be the next logical step IMHO given Pentax's lover affair with DR lenses, WR bodies.

For me the most important thing would be customisation/manual controls for everything the camera has, better low light AF performance, clean images, good colour, good DR and the ability to shoot at high frame rates.

That been said I find the K7 more than adequate for where I'm at with photography as a hobby, but would it be nicer to move up to something more advanced :P
06-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What if...

...Pentax decided to use a USB connector for the grip, allowing for a second expansion SD slot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What if...

...Pentax decided to use a USB connector for the grip, allowing for a second expansion SD slot!
Ive always wondered by no DSLR (that I know of) allows for USB mass storage, ie ability to access a portable hard drive, or USB stick etc.
06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I actually think your list is pretty reasonable, with the possible curve ball thrown in like a 21 mp sensor or something like that. But these are good guesses that actually could happen. In fact, I'd wager that at least a few of these things will be included in the next camera, pro or not.

Regarding the body size. While I like the K-7's size, a pro body with specs like this would likely have to be bigger to accommodate the larger shutter mechanism. I remember when the K-7 came out the smaller size was given as the reason why they couldn't design a cost effective shutter with 1/250 sync for example. So unless something has changed...

They shouldn't make it too big, though. Maybe slightly bigger than a K20D? I wouldn't mind having that as my main camera and then keeping the K-7 around for a great second body.

Also, if the camera is going to be bigger, I agree with Winder that they should aim for a class leading view finder. That would be a pretty awesome package.
06-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I realise it's late, but I just wanted to get my 2 cents in before this thread degenerates into nerdish dick-waving, calculus and measurebating.

I'm hoping for full KAF2 lens mount, and perhaps some off-the-sensor metering to using with the old lenses (and the new ones, of course.)

Sweet-looking pentaprism housing.

Underwater housing.

Huge-arse internal AF motor. And a range of dual-drive lenses.

AA adaptor.

More programmable buttons, easily accessible with thumb or finger while holding the camera. Label 'em with grayscale LCD panels next to them. Be able to program them to do ANYTHING.

Vertical grip that recreates all the key functions available on the normal grip.

An advertising campaign. Ok, ok, I'm sorry for the unrealistic wish. I apologise.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The size and build of the K-7 are two of the reasons the K-7 is the first Pentax I have picked up and used since the 67II.
*looks at K7*

*looks at 67II*

How the hell did you arrive at the purchase of a K7, Winder?
06-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

Underwater housing.

More programmable buttons, easily accessible with thumb or finger while holding the camera. Label 'em with grayscale LCD panels next to them. Be able to program them to do ANYTHING.

Vertical grip that recreates all the key functions available on the normal grip.

An advertising campaign. Ok, ok, I'm sorry for the unrealistic wish. I apologise.
Agree with those two points, I think an underwater housing would be priceless for the Pentax, its a shame it isn't available yet.
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

*looks at K7*

*looks at 67II*

How the hell did you arrive at the purchase of a K7, Winder?
Just saying I have not had much interest in Pentax since selling the 67. I didn't compare the size of the two cameras. Simply that the 67II was the last Pentax that I had an interest in. My interest in the K-7 has nothing to do with the 67.

And I did not say I had purchased a K-7. I have used one several times, but I still use my Canon 5D and Olympus E-3 for the majority of my work. I sold the 67II to buy a Contax 645 which I still use for B&W film work.

I think the K-7 is a big step in the right direction.