Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking what would Pentax do for a new body that sat between the K-7 and 645D (and not be FF) that was considered pro. The K-7 is semi-pro(prosumer), to me it just seems logical to add these kinds of features.

I've always been confused in what really differentiate a pro from a semi pro unit?

I mean there's a huge difference between using an entry level canon, or the Pentax K-x to say the K-7/7D then the next logical jump is the 5D Mk2 then the Canon 1D but what is the BIG price difference between the 5D and the 1D for example?

Then again how do you know I don't have insider information ? you never know......

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I actually think your list is pretty reasonable, with the possible curve ball thrown in like a 21 mp sensor or something like that. But these are good guesses that actually could happen. In fact, I'd wager that at least a few of these things will be included in the next camera, pro or not.

Regarding the body size. While I like the K-7's size, a pro body with specs like this would likely have to be bigger to accommodate the larger shutter mechanism. I remember when the K-7 came out the smaller size was given as the reason why they couldn't design a cost effective shutter with 1/250 sync for example. So unless something has changed...

They shouldn't make it too big, though. Maybe slightly bigger than a K20D? I wouldn't mind having that as my main camera and then keeping the K-7 around for a great second body.

Also, if the camera is going to be bigger, I agree with Winder that they should aim for a class leading view finder. That would be a pretty awesome package.

06-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its funny when looking at X-sync

5D has 1/200
1D Mk 3 1/250
1D Mk 4 1/300
7D 1/250

Maybe then asking for 1/250 for a pro Pentax is not enough then lol.
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone pointed out that a USB port would be nice on camera. I would like stretch a little bit Pentax should have port to support communication between camera and a GPS receiver. It would be particularly usefull people using it outdoors. Also I use a Nikon D300 apart from my Pentax and a large sized camera(even with an optional grip) would be fine. But this time Pentax should offer both batteries inside of grip. Unlike current grips where one battery sits in camera body and other in grip. It is a lot tedious to change both the batteries out in field.
06-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

9. Wireless remote control and thetered shooting with LR3

06-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I stopped reading after #1. No way Pentax will Pentax release a gigantic camera
I don't think it would be a gigantic camera... the MZ-S is tiny, I couldn't believe how small it was when I finally got one. The MZ-D looks basically like an MZ-S with battery grip.

I can see Pentax doing a refresh of the MZ-S/D design. It still looks cool 10 years later, and is built to the same kind of spec as the K7.
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I've often wondered why Pentax, et al. don't release these cropped camera's with a built in magnifyer (through the eye-piece, or whatever) for the viewfinder. I do love the 100% view though (I always hated opening the file on the computer and seeing more of the photo than I had originally wanted and having to do minor crops).

For me a lot of the draw of a FF camera (which I don't own), in addition to the increased dynamic range, higher ISO, etc. is the larger viewfinder. The O-ME53 magnifier is OK, but it's a bit finicky to use with glasses and I have trouble seeing all the data in the viewfinder without having to actually to shift my viewing position at the back of the camera.

I'd love to see a 1.3 - 1.5x magnifier built right into the system so that the view would be significantly larger. I'd also take an extra bulge at the back of the camera to have this as well, as I could also use the nose room.

I'm not feeding into the rumour on this one. I have no insider info...just wanted to share a few thoughts.

c[_]

P.S. I also wonder why they don't make a split prism screen standard as well.
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #22

Same here...

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Ive always wondered by no DSLR (that I know of) allows for USB mass storage, ie ability to access a portable hard drive, or USB stick etc.
That would be a great feature.

Being able to transfer data to a portable harddisk. One would need two usb ports though.

Have fun,
Luis

06-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #23
Forum Member

Its funny when looking at X-sync

5D has 1/200
1D Mk 3 1/250
1D Mk 4 1/300
7D 1/250

Maybe then asking for 1/250 for a pro Pentax is not enough then lol.
I wish they would blow everyone out of the water go up to 1/500...
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

1. Body similar to the MZ-D in size and design, weather sealed.
2. Newest SAFOX 11point as used in the 645D, however algorithms more optimised for fast moving action, ie sports.
3. Sony APS-C sensor.
4. 1/250 x-sync.
5. 7fps continuous shooting.
6. Prime II+
7. Full manual video mode with up to 1080p60 using MJPEG.
8. Dual SD Card slots.

Discuss......
c.w......c.w......c.w..........Never the Bodystyle of the old Prototype........
And,the AF System of the 645 is NOT better than in the K-7.
Itīs aprox. the same.
Only the lenssystem in front of the AF Cell is modified.
06-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
c.w......c.w......c.w..........Never the Bodystyle of the old Prototype........
And,the AF System of the 645 is NOT better than in the K-7.
Itīs aprox. the same.
Only the lenssystem in front of the AF Cell is modified.
Speculation is fun :P

Actually in theory is it possible for a AF system to have two different AF modes -

1. Optimised for sports and fast action & 2. A mode optimised for focus accuracy rather than speed. ?

Your annoying cause I know you know more :P
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #26

Gentlemen ,

I would love to see the grip fully integrated into the body with a 16MP Sensor, as for body style I think from a comfort and functionality standpoint that Pentax should update the M-ZS body for Digital. This should also be offered in 2 flavors ( with and without video capability) for the Pro/enthusiast Shooter. this is my specs for the dream Pentax camera:

1) full Frame with 12-16 MP
2) Dual PRIME processors
3) 7 fps
4) dual battery in grip
5) Dual SD cards
6) 11 point SAFOX
7) 77 segment metering
8 ) better low light capability
06-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I have big hands, but I prefer the size of my LX to the size of my K10D, and would love a smaller camera. I've held the K-7 and from that short experience, I thought I had the better grip on it than on the K10D.
I've got big hands too, and I think the K-7 is perfect. Much better than the K10D ergonomically. It's not really the size of the grip that matters, but the shape. That's where the K-7 takes the cake IMO.
06-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by levelred Quote
I wish they would blow everyone out of the water go up to 1/500...
I agree 1,000,000%.

There are a few things Pentax needs to get on board with, if they ever want something to be to be generally accepted by the pros. And I don't mean called 'pro' by magazines or whatever. For the actually pro community to widely accept a camera, it will need a higher sync speed, 1/250th, but more would really make it turn heads.

It would need to have tethered capability, and preferably compatibility with programs like LR3 and Capture1. Most pros are looking for the ability to shoot tethered at least some of the time. a lot of studio and location shooters will shoot 100% tethered. I Love my k-7, but I also love shooting tethered. Half of what I do in travelling and shooting action and in location where size matters alot, and for that I love the K-7. But theother half of what I do is is studio, or controlled location shooting, and I will use my K20d just for the fact that I can tether it, even if the Pentax program is awful, slow and crashes constantly. Even If I only have a K10d and a K-7, I would rather shoot in the studio with the K10d because it can be tethered.

I would really, really love it if they went aps-h. That would be awesome. WE already know that most of the DA*lenses will work on FF with little to no vignetting, so that means they would be good to go on aps-h. I would love to see something like:

15-18mp aps-h
7-9fps
really clean ISO up to 12,800
Much faster AF, particularly when tracking, and no fps slow down in AF-C
Dual card slots
Full manual video control
I think about the size of a K20d w/ grip but all one piece.
Tethering capability

And also, whoever said WR flash is bang on. They are way over due for a new, more powerful and more capable flash. I'm waiting for the first company to sack up and build a camera/flash system that has radio transmitter in it. I think Pentax should partner with Elinchrom and build Skyport technology into the cameras and flashes. Built in Radio P-TTL would be amazing. No one could ignore that, and people would be switching brands left and right.
06-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
Gentlemen ,

I would love to see the grip fully integrated into the body with a 16MP Sensor, as for body style I think from a comfort and functionality standpoint that Pentax should update the M-ZS body for Digital.
The grip is a money maker. The K-7 body has fallen $400.00 since it was released, but the grip is still $200.00. Accessory sales are where the money is. People who need the grip will buy one. Since not everyone will want a grip it is best if Pentax leaves it as an option.
06-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I've got big hands too, and I think the K-7 is perfect. Much better than the K10D ergonomically. It's not really the size of the grip that matters, but the shape. That's where the K-7 takes the cake IMO.
Exactly how I feel it from the limited experience. I've always thought that the grip of my K10D is a little too rounded, it doesn't give a very secure grip when holding it in one hand.