Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The issue with the kx sensor IMHO is that it does not have the video specs that are necessary for a top end camera. I like the K7 sensor at the iso that I shoot at, but it certainly could be a lot better at high iso. On the other hand, Pentax needs to put in a sensor capable of doing full HD video. This is the big thing that I see Pentax adding.

06-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
The issue with the kx sensor IMHO is that it does not have the video specs that are necessary for a top end camera.
are you on crack?

2 years ago no one even thought about video in an S L R PHOTO CAMERA

now its a "necessary spec for a top end camera"

get real
06-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #63
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
are you on crack?

get real
No drugs here, but I can read and I know what sells. The key to selling is to differentiate yourself from the competition -- pretty tough to do with just still photography on your SLR at this point. So many awesome SLRs out there, somehow you have to have a better package and this where video comes in.
06-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #64
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Ive always wondered by no DSLR (that I know of) allows for USB mass storage, ie ability to access a portable hard drive, or USB stick etc.
Why would anyone want that ? I use 32GB SDHC cards and I plan on getting a 64GB SDXC card for my Panasonic HDC-TM700 3MOS 1080p60 camcorder and SDXC cards will be up to 2TB in the future. How many 32GB SDHC cards do you use now ?

06-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just wanna see some new lenses like a designated 50mm or a 24-70mm. Then we can all celebrate XD
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I just wanna see some new lenses like a designated 50mm or a 24-70mm. Then we can all celebrate XD
I prefer the longer glass so I like a 24-70 f/2.8 on an APS-C sensor, and with C/N/S you have excellent options for that. Tamron makes a decent 28-75 and Sigma does does alright, but I would like to see Pentax make a D-FA 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200..... assuming Pentax can improve the SDM.
06-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #67
Inactive Account

are you on crack?

get real
+1.

Why the hell should we give a damn about video on a stills camera? It's a nice feature. But if you want to do it better, buy a goddamn camcorder. It's like bitching about how the new car you bought doesn't fly very well.

As for USB, I'd love for it to have a USB port so that we may directly dump images from the card directly onto a HDD, without the need of a computer or one of those overpriced "Media Reader" thingies.

06-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Why the hell should we give a damn about video on a stills camera? It's a nice feature. But if you want to do it better, buy a goddamn camcorder.
Why the hell? Cos it is now a mandatory feature for it to sell! That's why!

You may have no use for video, but a lot of other people do. And nowadays, the line between "still camera" and "video camcorder" has blurred. Many digital cameras can capture video better than low end video camcorder, and infinitely better than those Flip type device.

They are both media capturing device. So why shouldn't a DSLR capture good video? It can cost many more thousands to get a "goddamn camcorder" which can perform some of the video capability that some DSLRs can do.

QuoteQuote:
It's like bitching about how the new car you bought doesn't fly very well.
That's a totally wrong analogy.
Unlike trying to make a car fly, which requires totally different form factor, extra hardware (wings and engines), a DSLR taking video does not require any extra hardware! All the necessary components are right there! Just a sensor capable of outputting images at fast enough fps, and you are in business!
06-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #69
Veteran Member

are you on crack?
get real
Sure you do.
If you want a top end camera without a Nikon or Canon logo to sell, it is not only "necessary", it is absolutely essential for it to have a good video function. And yes, it is now 2010, and not 2008 any more.
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
+1.

It's like bitching about how the new car you bought doesn't fly very well.
I would be bitching about it if the other cars where flying.
06-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it didn't cost anything extra to make my car fly, why would I argue with that feature? The reality is that Pentax needs to sell more than two cameras (one to Gooshin and one to Lithos) and to do that, they will need video. End of story.
06-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love the video feature of my DSLR as it means one less piece of hardware I have to haul around, and the image quality is waaaaaay better than any camcorder I can afford...
Reminds me of all those "Liveview is rubbish" threads we had 3 years ago... Now there are a lot of macro shooters that live by it (pun intended).
06-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #73
Forum Member

I idea of having a USB host bus on board would be REALLY useful, with a little extra firmware we could be moving images onto USB sticks and HDD for backup on the go or just ease in the studio. Can't see it costing too much to do either, plus another differentiator.
06-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I love the video feature of my DSLR as it means one less piece of hardware I have to haul around, and the image quality is waaaaaay better than any camcorder I can afford...
Reminds me of all those "Liveview is rubbish" threads we had 3 years ago... Now there are a lot of macro shooters that live by it (pun intended).
of course, IQ got something to do with glass as well. and a regular camcorder doesn't have that luxury. but a camcorder is a much better when it comes to overall performance (max zoom capability + magnification, overall versatility, continuous recording length), non-overheating sensor, and portability. unless in the near future that the current dslrs would be able to do the same advantages that a camcorder have.

having LV is only a partial aspect of video that pertains to video display but does not necessarily takes video recordings. it is very useful for macro only when it has the magnification feature. however, this could be tough especially with moving critters especially if LV is lagging behind, and also in tough bright light situations or awkward shooting positions where shooting in LV mode is not recommended.
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #75
Veteran Member

------