Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The last lens company to cut direct deals with Pentax following the Hoya take over no longer releases lenses with k-mount *cough*Tokina*cough* so I really don't want to see one of the 2 main 3rd party companies get too cozy with Hoya Corporate. Tamron has gotten kind of sparse with k-mount as it is considering they didn't release the 60mm macro in k-mount.

06-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Would be nice if they traded it for something.
you know like:
S: Hey Pent-Hoya, will you give us yours 77 segment metering module?
P: Sure, if you'll give us some nice lens design - say 8-16
Hoya supplied the FLD glass for the 8-16, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they would either re-badge or have license to use the design.
06-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by openyourap Quote
Hoya supplied the FLD glass for the 8-16, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they would either re-badge or have license to use the design.
Just was going to link to this article on the subject: From the Editor - Catching up with Sigma's news - Digital Photography Now

QuoteQuote:
He explained that Sigma has started to use 'FLD' glass, which is exclusively manufactured by, of all people, Hoya. If you didn't know, Hoya owns Tokina, an arch-rival lens manufacturer to Sigma. FLD is a special low dispersion optical glass that has characteristics similar to fluorite, an exotic mineral glass that has been used in high performance lenses in the past. The problem with fluorite is that its optical qualities aren't stable and can change noticeably with modest changes in temperature. It's also very expensive.
Arch rival Tokina?

Anyway, I thought this was interesting. Are there any Pentax lenses that use FLD glass at the moment? If nothing else, it's nice that Hoya has a stake in Sigma's success. If these lenses sell well, more FLD please.
06-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #19

I know nothing about relations between Hoya and Sigma.

What I know is that there is no Sigma 150 Macro in Pentax mount.

Have fun.
Luis

06-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
I know nothing about relations between Hoya and Sigma.

What I know is that there is no Sigma 150 Macro in Pentax mount.

Have fun.
Luis
You aren't the first one to ask that question. Another conspicuously missing lens in k-mount in the new 60mm macro. Since the stopped the 180mm, at least they could do is bring out the 150m f2.8 macro in k-mount. It is more interesting than the 180mm f4 anyway.
06-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have used the Sigma 30mm on a 4/3 mount and it is a average lens. It could definitely be sharper.
I'm sorry, but the Sigma 30mm lens is anything but average - and I have used it (and currently own it) in Pentax mount. I'm tired of the Sigma haters on this board...

Name me 1 other lens that is f/1.4 in the 30mm range that costs about the same (i.e. $400)????

As for sharper...that's BS too. The lens is amazingly sharp at f/1.4 and bleeding sharp from f/1.6 and up.

c[_]
06-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Since this is speculation based on the similarities to Pentax's gear...

SD15 also has in camera SR.
06-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree, the Sigma EX30 is a truly excellent lens in the Pentax mount (though, I think optically identical in all mounts). Not sure how anyone could describe it as average. The only thing I would like to see different is for us Pentaxians to get HSM like the other guys. The nature of the lens is such that it will be used indoors alot, so quieter would definitely be welcome. I'm pleased with all my Sigmas and just ordered 2 more!

06-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Since this is speculation based on the similarities to Pentax's gear...

SD15 also has in camera SR.
I'm not so sure about this one. I can't seem to find any indication that the SD15 has an inbody stabilization system. Only that mirror shake is reduce.
06-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I'm sorry, but the Sigma 30mm lens is anything but average - and I have used it (and currently own it) in Pentax mount. I'm tired of the Sigma haters on this board...

Name me 1 other lens that is f/1.4 in the 30mm range that costs about the same (i.e. $400)????

As for sharper...that's BS too. The lens is amazingly sharp at f/1.4 and bleeding sharp from f/1.6 and up.

c[_]
What exactly to you consider sharp? Center sharpness is very good, edge sharpness is very soft. Compare that to the excellent Sigma 50mm f/1.4 which out performs every other 50mm on the market, or the Sigma 150mm macro with is also sharp edge to edge.

IF you want to look at sharp lenses take a look at the Olympus 50mm macro, or the 150mm f/2. The 25mm f/1.4 Panasonic/Leica is amazingly sharp even at f/1.4, but it costs 2x the 30mm Sigma..... but edge sharpness on the Pan-Leica is almost as sharp as the center sharpness on the 30mm.

Your idea of "bleeding sharp" is not the same as mine apparently.

Nobody is a Sigma hater, but they have some lenses that are better than others. If YOU are happy with the 30mm then that is all that matters.

The two we used on a 4/3 mount had good center sharpness, but edges where not acceptable. I would assume the Pentax APS-C sensor would show more softness than the 4/3.
06-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I only take exception to calling it an "average" lens. Most people who have used it really like it. Despite its focal length, it actually makes for an excellent portrait lens with wonderful bokeh and some genuine 3-Dness to it. I won't argue its corner sharpness except to say that I haven't noticed it when I look at the photos I take with it. My overall impression of those photos is that I am impressed and pleased.

To each his own, though, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I would just hate for your characterization of the lens as "average" to inhibit others from trying a lens that many people love and would absolutely buy again.
06-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sigma's SA-Mount is variation of K-Mount.=)
06-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Sigma's SA-Mount is variation of K-Mount.=)
Not really true.
Better to say - it is electronically Canon EF mount with geometry of K-mount (but without aperture couplers).
06-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it really matter? Until Sigma gets the bugs worked out of the SD-xx line and the Foveon sensor overcomes some if its problems it really does not matter.

Everything about the Sigma camera is slow.

The Foveon technology has a lot of potential, but it appears to be going nowhere.
06-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Does it really matter? Until Sigma gets the bugs worked out of the SD-xx line and the Foveon sensor overcomes some if its problems it really does not matter.

Everything about the Sigma camera is slow.

The Foveon technology has a lot of potential, but it appears to be going nowhere.
For me the most interes thing will be the HSM system knowhow from Sigma.