Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a bad idea

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
It wouldn't make any sense to me unless they were going to put the FA lenses back in production.

The medium format digital camera made sense though.

Given the rash of QC issues with the DA* lenses, I believe this would be a reasonable idea.

09-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd be surprised if lenses an dbodies were manufacturered in the same factory.
09-04-2007, 04:42 AM   #33
Inactive Account

instead of dreaming about new products they should concentrate on making actual products available for clients, i came back from thailand and its impossible to get anything Pentax anywhere, even duty free shop at the airport are full of nikon/canon/sony/panasonic/olympus stuff and shopping center are free of any pentax products !

crazy
09-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nlex Quote
instead of dreaming about new products they should concentrate on making actual products available for clients, i came back from thailand and its impossible to get anything Pentax anywhere, even duty free shop at the airport are full of nikon/canon/sony/panasonic/olympus stuff and shopping center are free of any pentax products !

crazy
I was in Thailand last year, and I found only one shop that carried Pentax gear. On the other hand, Nikons and Canons are everywhere.

I blame Pentax marketing.

09-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Hi Ken,

Clearly I wasn't 'fishing' for compliments, by the way......but simply fell for your favourable comments 'Compleatly', hook, line & sinker !!!

QuoteQuote:
Then there are posts like your's that make me want to offer to spring for dinner just so I could enjoy a conversation with you. The Compleat Angler would be a good spot if it is still as good as it was back in the 80's.
To be honest I am starting to become increasingly weary of this continuous 'will-it won't-it' type of speculation about vapourware products. If a Pentax 645D materialises sometime in the future then great, but wishing something into existence is ultimately a pretty sad and fruitless exercise.

Best regards
Richard
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax owners need rumors

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Ken,

Clearly I wasn't 'fishing' for compliments, by the way......but simply fell for your favourable comments 'Compleatly', hook, line & sinker !!!

To be honest I am starting to become increasingly weary of this continuous 'will-it won't-it' type of speculation about vapourware products. If a Pentax 645D materialises sometime in the future then great, but wishing something into existence is ultimately a pretty sad and fruitless exercise.

Best regards
Richard
Richard,

The problem is we have all invested in Pentax not only economically but also emotionally and intellectually. It's fashionable to say it is just a tool and if it doesn't meet your needs, switch to a brand that does. This would entail admitting to ourselves we made a mistake. Just the facts that someone can say “You have no upgrade path” or “You have no long glass” or possibly the worst comment is “Your AF system is slow” can make us become defensive. Consequently, we all spend a certain amount of time saying “If Pentax would only (fill in your personal gripe)”.

Being a Pentax owner is akin to the faithful owner of an old Fiat (AKA Fix It Again Tony), the Triumph 750 bike, or a Jaguar XKE owner. All outstanding products but not without a few idiosyncrasies. As a once proud owner of all these I feel right at home with the Pentax brand. It is what it is and I love the unique features which are many. That does not stop me from mumbling about the shortcomings to my fellow owners while telling any Canon or Nikon shooter how exceptional my camera is. I even enjoy reading the rantings of our most disheartened brethren, it's the sadist in me.

So let the wildest rumors be heard and the craziest rants be cherished because it is part of being a Pentax owner.

Regards,

Ken
09-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Hi again Ken

Although I've never had the pleasure of actually owning one, there is also an oft-quoted abbreviation for Lotus........
(Loads Of Trouble, Usually Serious) !!!!
Incidentally I had never heard the Fiat version before and hope the Italians are able to see the funny side !!!

Re your observation that:

QuoteQuote:
The problem is we have all invested in Pentax not only economically but also emotionally and intellectually........
This would entail admitting to ourselves we made a mistake.
.....speaking personally I have no particular axe-to-grind on this subject, as I've never previously owned Pentax equipment prior to purchasing my K10D. Before this in the days of 35mm emulsion, I have always remained a firm adherent of OM1's, since working briefly at a photographic store over 30 years ago, but find it difficult to forgive Olympus's extraordinary abandonment of the OM mount ! My first digital camera was actually a Fuji S602Z 'bridge' camera, but the fact remains that even if Pentax ceased trading tomorrow, I would STILL have bought this Pentax regardless !
The ergonomic "feel" and exterior controls of the K10D are WAY SUPERIOR to equivalent C***n or N***n models and IMHO the best feature is that ANY K-mount lens (old or new) benefits from the in-built Shake Reduction mechanism. The ability to select the sensitivity mode (ISO) is pure genius and one that I wouldn't swap for all the other DSLR's in China (or elsewhere for that matter), but the disappearing ISO display in some modes is truly infuriating ! Let's hope a fix for this stupid oversight is forthcoming in a future firmware upgrade, but on the other hand the weather-sealing is truly the 'icing-on-the-cake' as far as I'm concerned !
At the price I paid, I reckon it was an absolute steal and I shall have no regrets whatsoever, whether it turns out that I made a 'mistake' further down the line or not !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 09-30-2007 at 05:53 PM.
10-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

So...what's with the obsession over a FF sensor? Just so focal lengths act how they're "supposed to"? Are we really all that curmudgeonly? I mean, I'd love to use the FA 31 as a wide angle, but that's what my film bodies are for...

10-01-2007, 04:33 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
So...what's with the obsession over a FF sensor? Just so focal lengths act how they're "supposed to"? Are we really all that curmudgeonly? I mean, I'd love to use the FA 31 as a wide angle, but that's what my film bodies are for...
1. Bigger sensor = better low-light performance
2. Bigger frame = bigger viewfinder
3. You really think wide angle should be limited to film?
10-01-2007, 04:53 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Bigger viewfinder? Not sure at all, less expensive forthe same size OK but bigger (*edited*) I'd like to know more.

Last edited by thibs; 10-01-2007 at 09:12 AM.
10-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #41
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Bigger viewfinder? Not sure at all, less expensive forthe same size OK but bigger (*edited*) I'd like to know more.
Because the sensor is bigger, a bigger mirror is required. Becuase a bigger mirror is required, a bigger focusing screen is required. Because a bigger focusing screen is required, a bigger pentaprism is required. If you've ever used a 645, you'll know what I mean. :ugh:
10-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Because the sensor is bigger, a bigger mirror is required. Becuase a bigger mirror is required, a bigger focusing screen is required. Because a bigger focusing screen is required, a bigger pentaprism is required. If you've ever used a 645, you'll know what I mean. :ugh:
Not even sure will get a pentaprism. Pentamirror will find its way into "cheap" cameras even if those are "cheap" 24x36 cameras. Second, it maye allows for better viewfinder, but if you think it will necessary mean bigger viewfinder will come, IMO, you're wrong.

Pentax proves it is perfectly possible to produce a very nice viewfinder with a small APS-C sensor when most competitors (in the same price range) brings crap viewfinders. I think it has little to do with sensor. It has to do with priorities and money the manufacturer decides to put into viewfinder.