Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
It's funny how much I can flip-flop about this. On the one hand I love my K200D, then some days I just can't wait for something that'll focus much faster and have a bigger viewfinder.

That's just me though... I'm the type of guy who starts researching which road bike to get after he buys a mountain bike... true story BUT I slapped myself out of it!
I couldn't wait anymore, so I'm buying a K-7. I had it borrowed from my colleague for few days and I cannot go back shooting old K10D after this delightful experience of speed and reliability.
I believe something even better will come out later this year but I'm going to stick with the K-7 for the time being. The financial loss should be small compared to potentially missed shots with old camera.

06-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have no interest upgrading from a K200D to the K7 after shooting with a Canon 7D. I'll keep my K200D though. Rare glass is just that, but what i'm looking for is rare shots. That is what photography is about no?
06-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Having just purchased a K-7, I am not in the market for a body. In any event, I never give two seconds thought to products that don't exist in the marketplace. I have more important things to do, like use the equipment I have.
06-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Relax. Still three months to go till Photokina. If Pentax will announce new DSLR(s) it will happen in September

06-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agree on Photokina, but I`m still checking news & rumors daily hoping for a leak.

2/3 of my lens collection is at stake!
06-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

All you guys with 200D's, man you can get a 20D for under $600. It's a HELL of a camera.
06-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

What happened to the rumor that Pentax dealers got information that a camera between K-x and K-7 were on its way? If it got all the way to dealers, it can't be too far away can it?
06-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter

HoyaTax has the leak plugged.... for now.

yeah, i check the forums daily, hoping for some real news

i love my kx and my XYL loves her k200

but i'm hoping pentax will release DSLR's with SAFOX X, no VIII or IX.
f2.8 center and AFC that tracks and also put in better ISO and DR

for now, i'm going out to... take pictures

06-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I personally cannot wait for the day when I can get rid of optical viewfinder for good, stop worrying about front focusing and back focusing, forget about the limitation of X-Sync or HSS, and stop putting up with the noise & vibrations of mirror slap and mechanical shutter.
You sound like a perfect candidate for a Samsung NX10?
06-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm perfectly happy with the K7. I did get an Olympus E-P2. I love that camera. I haven't even used my Pentax gear since I got it. The Novoflex K mount adapter works perfect. It's a bit pricey, but if you have a significant number of Pentax lenses it probably makes the investment worthwhile.

I would have no interest in a full frame camera unless it was the size of K7 and $1500 or less for the body. Even if Pentax did release a full frame camera, since I own the DA 15 through 70mm, I be stuck buying a new set of basic prime lenses and at my age I'm not sure that's how I want to spend my money.

In all likelihood I'll pass on the next two bodies. The K7 does everything I want it too in a compact package and I have the exact lenses I need with the DA 15-70mm + 100mm. That said I never shoot over ISO 400, don't use a flash, and always print non cropped on Red River 13 x 19 paper. So the K7 is perfect for me.

That E-P2 is just so much fun to use and it's easy to manual focus with the viewfinder. Now if Pentax released something similar to the E-P2, I would buy it on release.
06-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I have no interest upgrading from a K200D to the K7 after shooting with a Canon 7D. I'll keep my K200D though. Rare glass is just that, but what i'm looking for is rare shots. That is what photography is about no?
On the contrary in my case. I switched to K-7 after handling the D3 and the 1D in one week. Then the K10D seemed really poor. K-7 is not like these two, but half way up there is probably good enough for me.
06-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Right now the K-7 is selling for under $800 and the 7D is selling for $1600. As a long time Canon user I agree that the 7D is a very good camera and in a lot of ways better than the K-7, but it is not 2x better. Up to 800 ISO RAW files are pretty much identical. 7D does have better DR. I already have several Canon lenses so it is a good fit with my older 5D, but for anyone who does not have Canon glass it would be hard to justify buying a 7D over a K-7 unless AF speed was you #1 must have feature.

K-7 does 80% of everything the 7D does for 1/2 the price.
06-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #28

Well, I have to say that I have been avoiding buying any aps-c only lenses because I anticipate Pentax releasing a full frame camera in the near future. Even though I'm not really a pixel-peeper I do figure if I am going to take the time and effort to take a picture then I want it to be as good as possible.
Even though I have a lot of room for improvement in technique still, I don't want my equipment to be the limiting factor. My k-7 as much as I enjoy it will be sold to fund a full frame purchase as long as the full frame is also water and weather sealed with video capabilities.
Even as a hobbiest who has only sold a very small number of photos, I will pay for a full-frame because it will give higher quality.

So I guess, yes, I am checking frequently and can't wait to try out the new full frame. In the meantime I'm happy with my K-7, have no interest in changing to Canon or Nikon, and will buy the full frame once released.
06-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
HoyaTax has the leak plugged...
Maybe they should offer their services to BP.
06-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #30
Site Supporter

LOL

you crack me up !