Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Etc, etc. Justly said. Photography is not statistics, or a stock exchange. If that weren't true, there would be no customers for a Leica M9, but there are plenty of them and Leica can't make enough of M9 cameras to satisfy demand.
People would ask why is that so in the land of plenty of technologically superb gizmos?

Photography becomes something completely else when we go over that hill of useless statistics and tech babble. Life is more than than dependency on specs -- it is dependent on our imagination. Photography is an emotional drive, and is much more important how many wonderful feelings per day it preserves and gives in return when taking photos than how many fps it does. And that's priceless.
Thats great. I am sure most of our lives don't depend on specs. And they will also be spent imagining how people can come to afford a Leica M9 (while shooting daily with our low brow, spec intensive cameras).

06-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Of course it's not a problem. But it encourages a market approach to photography, where someone's passion and capability to produce art tends to be measured in wrong units and using wrong scales. I'm wholly against it, but again, don't see it as an overwhelming problem. It's only a nuisance.
You may feel that way, and to some extent your assertion may be correct in that the photographer is the most important part of the equation -- but that doesn't change the fact that some camera specifications unavoidably change what types of photos one can capture, or bring additional expense accounting for things the camera itself lacks.

Just three examples from the K-7 of particular relevance:

* The viewfinder; it's harder to precisely frame and manually focus with the T2i's dimmer, smaller, less accurate pentamirror viewfinder than with the K-7's brighter, larger, more accurate pentaprism viewfinder. For many photos that may make little or no difference, but there is no questioning the fact that it could make a difference for photos where precise framing or accurate manual focus is necessary, especially low-light photos.

* The weather-sealing: The T2i can't be used in even light rain without risking damage to the camera. The K-7 can be used even in pretty awful conditions, so long as you're also using a weather-sealed lens. (We've even had accounts of the K-7 being accidentally, briefly submerged in seawater without damage, although I wouldn't try that myself.) Yes, you could buy an underwater housing, or a rain cover, but those will bring added expense, and handling / ergonomic drawbacks.

* Burst speed and depth: Some subjects require fast burst shooting capabilities and generous burst depths, and there's no getting around that. Either your camera is fast enough, or it isn't. The T2i is barely over half the speed of the K-7, and has a very short burst depth by comparison to the K-7, which can burst shoot until the card fills (if the card is fast enough, obviously).

Yes, there are many types of photography where these issues wouldn't show up, but there are many situations where they could become an issue, and equally many other differences between the two cameras (especially ergonomically) that may make one or other better for any given shot.

Believe me when I say I've seen your argument many times before, and if specifications don't matter for you, then that's great -- for you. The point is that many of us pay attention to our cameras' specifications for a reason. They do make important differences to the cameras' capabilities, and we like to consider those differences before buying to ensure our choices don't prove limiting to the types of photos we want to capture.

If that wasn't the case, we'd all still be shooting with Brownies.
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
If that wasn't the case, we'd all still be shooting with Brownies.
I still shoot with my Brownie... once in a while.
06-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
It is very seldom that someone will try and demean a photographer's work because of the gear he or she used. If that did happen, it would have absolutely no impact on the artistic or aesthetic merit of said work.
This got me thinking - your work is almost MORE admired if it is done with old/crappy gear - guys still shooting manual bodies and film, photographers pulling out amazing shots with toy cameras, people publishing shots taken with cellphones. Maybe we've got it all wrong, and instead of trying to get the nicest equipment, we should be trying to get the worst...

06-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #65
Dom

What new Pentax body?
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Unfortunately, you'd have to rethink your wide angle lineup here:

*Sigma 8-16 doesn't work on FF (APS-C only) - but 12-24 works great!
* SMC Tak 24, 28, & 35 don't work on 5DMkII: the rear lens element collides with the mirror at shorter focusing distances
* Sigma 30f1.4 doesnt work (APS-C only)

You have alternatives though in Canon mount (EF 24, 28 and 35 are pretty good and relatively cheap) or in the Sigma camp.
doesn't the 5D MK II have an APS-C mode that would allow you to use APS-C lenses?

I didn't know that not all screwmount lenses are compatible with the 5d MK II, since the concern there mainly is the mirror getting hit by the aperture lever and rear guard. are you sure about the rear elements colliding with the mirror even if it has a longer mount adapter for the screwmount Takumars?

but anyway, there are really other cheap lens alternatives at those focal lengths, so it's not a problem as you said.
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
This got me thinking - your work is almost MORE admired if it is done with old/crappy gear - guys still shooting manual bodies and film, photographers pulling out amazing shots with toy cameras, people publishing shots taken with cellphones. Maybe we've got it all wrong, and instead of trying to get the nicest equipment, we should be trying to get the worst...
Most of the people have understood this already....it is just us Pentaxians that want to have the nicest equipment

/Tommy
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
doesn't the 5D MK II have an APS-C mode that would allow you to use APS-C lenses?
It doesn't; EF-S lenses can't be used at all, and they wouldn't include this feature for 3rd-party lenses like these Sigmas.

06-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I'm checking frequently too. I'm shooting with the K10D right now and have targeted the K7 successor as my likely upgrade target. I'm hoping to see much better high-ISO performance.

Hopefully it'll be available by year end.
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It doesn't; EF-S lenses can't be used at all, and they wouldn't include this feature for 3rd-party lenses like these Sigmas.
I see. then FF lenses it is then.
06-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I find I'm checking DPReview.com 3-4x daily as second nature hoping that something will get released?

Is there something wrong with me? Am I alone?
You are not alone, i´m like you, i want a Pentax FF or something a litlle better than the K7.
06-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #72
Veteran Member

:S

I check dpreview, photorumors, pentaxrumors and a pentax forum at a swedish photo community several times a day. Had a little break when I got my k-7, guess it comes in periods. I do this with computer equipment too. Probably not healthy, but fun. ^^
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #73
Veteran Member

The next camera in series will be another incremental upgrade. Good for those who need it, fine for those who can upgrade continuously, but not earth-shattering.

The big news is already out. The 645D clobbers any other camera mentioned here. Go get excited by that. And start saving pennies.
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Sure, I'm excited to see a new Pentax body. All I can do when it comes out is "geek-out" about it though. I don't know that I'll be replacing my K200d anytime soon. The 16-50 drained the hobby fund for a while.
06-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

I didn't know that not all screwmount lenses are compatible with the 5d MK II, since the concern there mainly is the mirror getting hit by the aperture lever and rear guard. are you sure about the rear elements colliding with the mirror even if it has a longer mount adapter for the screwmount Takumars?

but anyway, there are really other cheap lens alternatives at those focal lengths, so it's not a problem as you said.
No APS-C on 5D cameras.

And I am sure about the rear element/mirror colliding on the 5D: I own one as well as a SMC 24f3.5 and 35f2 Tak, both unusable on the 5D (but I routinely use my 55f1.8 and 135f2.5 with great results).