Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone as obsessed about the new Pentax body?

I find I'm checking DPReview.com 3-4x daily as second nature hoping that something will get released?

Is there something wrong with me? Am I alone?

06-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, I thought I was the only one
I too keep checking the forums and rumours site if anything about a new Pentax body is announced or not. I am in the market for a new body, just don't want to buy K-7 and find that a replacement is going to be out soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I find I'm checking DPReview.com 3-4x daily as second nature hoping that something will get released?

06-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
More interested to see new WR lenses from Pentax. Especially a new 50mm macro lens if they decide to replace the existing one.

Last edited by Chaitanya; 06-15-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Some changes to grammer.
06-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Well, I thought I was the only one
I too keep checking the forums and rumours site if anything about a new Pentax body is announced or not. I am in the market for a new body, just don't want to buy K-7 and find that a replacement is going to be out soon.
i bought the k7. i decided that if a new k7 or better level model comes out, it will list at about twice the lowest current price of the k7. the k7 is a bargain right now. still read all the rumors and speculation threads, though.

06-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote

I'm happy with K200D. I don't wait for anything interesting in new APS-C cameras. New APC-S camera is extensive way of progress.
I'd like to see FF. Or buy K-7 this year later at very attractive price.

Last edited by ogl; 06-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Barely interested. But I usually wait for reality to outpace speculation.
06-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #7

I think the next step from Pentax will be an exciting one - it seems to me that they are building a bit of a reputation for big announcements. The K-x and K-7 were both great performers that hit on a lot of areas and managed to stand out pretty well. The 645D will almost certainly shake up the MF world. So, if they keep up the trend, something impressive will be coming down the chute.

I'm with you, though. Whether it is FF or a new low-noise sensor or majorly improved AF or a better flash system - there are a lot of areas that Pentax could aim at that could be pretty exciting. If they keep up the vision and inspiration that have been evident in their recent products then they'll do some good stuff. I'm excited about it.

However, it is still best to be pragmatic about these things. If a K7 will provide you with $750 worth of enjoyment/productivity, then go for it. If a magical FF AF Hi-def unicorn flavored camera comes out the day after, it certainly is going to cost more, and you will only be bummed if you bought the camera for bragging rights instead of for taking pictures. Me, I just bought another K20 because that is what I've been working with, it performs adequately, and the value of having consistency between my primary and secondary camera bodies is worth more to me than having the most recent revision.

06-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Banned

Although an FF camera would be an exciting thing to see, I'm more interested will Pentax venture into the EVIL camera market? So far, I don't like anything present there, from Sony to Leica, Sigma, Panny and Oly, they all seem to miss the whole idea of a small camera system with interchangeable lenses. Either body is tiny, too slow, or it is darn too expensive and with fixed only lens, or there are no good small (prime) lenses in the range (but plenty of big zooms which defy the purpose of a small system).
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's funny how much I can flip-flop about this. On the one hand I love my K200D, then some days I just can't wait for something that'll focus much faster and have a bigger viewfinder.

That's just me though... I'm the type of guy who starts researching which road bike to get after he buys a mountain bike... true story BUT I slapped myself out of it!
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #10

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who isn't interested at all in EVIL cameras. I just can't see myself spending significant money on a camera that doesn't have a real, optical viewfinder. Plus, Pentax already does pretty good with the small-and-light market by having all of their tiny primes.
06-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who isn't interested at all in EVIL cameras. I just can't see myself spending significant money on a camera that doesn't have a real, optical viewfinder.
I personally cannot wait for the day when I can get rid of optical viewfinder for good, stop worrying about front focusing and back focusing, forget about the limitation of X-Sync or HSS, and stop putting up with the noise & vibrations of mirror slap and mechanical shutter.
06-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

You're not the only one.
06-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

To each his own, but currently I'm hoarding FA* and FA Limited glass. One can never know

And yes, I check the news/rumors sites daily. It would be interesting to see what Pentax has up their sleeves. The K-7 is already a wonderful machine; its successor will be even better. Frankly, many of you don't even know how good the K-7 is in reality. I have it now almost a year, and it already has more shots on it than I had on my *ist DS, K10D and K20D. Interesting thing: none of my AF lenses have a front or backfocus on the K-7. The auto WB of the K-7 is simply wonderful.

But I wouldn't mind a FF model though. Pentax is about IQ and smallness, I see no reason for them not to go FF. It's how it should be.
06-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who isn't interested at all in EVIL cameras. I just can't see myself spending significant money on a camera that doesn't have a real, optical viewfinder. Plus, Pentax already does pretty good with the small-and-light market by having all of their tiny primes.
Personally, I'm much more interested in an updated K-7. The K-7 is already very, very attractive, and if they release a "K-7 Super" with, say, slightly better high ISO and low-to-mid ISO DR, it would be such a nice upgrade from my K10D that it's hard to resist.

But that, and possibly an FF, is what they need to serve us middle-aged and older men and women who have used or at least known Pentax since at least 20 years ago. To be able to continue attracting the interest from the younger generations that they have spurred with the K-x, I think there's no way around entering the EVIL/viewfinder-less market. And presumably NOT with an EVIL, but with a GF1/E-P1-type camera, that's what's selling right now.

..and if they manage to release such a system with an adapter which allows screw-drive AF of K-mount lenses, I'll be very tempted to buy it as a second body. If they manage that, they don't really need to have that many lenses. Maybe a tiny kit zoom and a 20-30 mm pancake to start with. If it were possible to use e.g. the DA70, DA40 or DA35 with AF with an adapter, they'll have an enormously attractive system.
06-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #15
rkt

I feel much better after reading this tread I have the page open in a tab pretty much across the day ... being between camera bodies makes it that much more obsessive ... !!