Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #31
Nubi

MF is format of the future.

06-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who isn't interested at all in EVIL cameras. I just can't see myself spending significant money on a camera that doesn't have a real, optical viewfinder. Plus, Pentax already does pretty good with the small-and-light market by having all of their tiny primes.
I'm 100% with you on that one. I couldn't care less about EVILs, and I hope Pentax doesn't go that direction and compete in another product category that they would be behind in. The R&D money would be better spent on improving their current body and lens lines, and I wholeheartedly disagree with the people that say that the EVIL area is the direction that the market is moving towards.
06-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
K-7 does 80% of everything the 7D does for 1/2 the price.
I think maybe it is more like the K-7 does 110% of what the 7D does (giving the extra 10% nod to full sealing), BUT, they do 20% of that 110% at 80% (AF, dynamic range and ISO as was stated). So, 20% done at 80% equates to a 4% loss, therefore giving you 106% of everything the 7D does for 50% of the price! (that was a joke by the way, if you got through it, haha).
06-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I'm 100% with you on that one. I couldn't care less about EVILs, and I hope Pentax doesn't go that direction and compete in another product category that they would be behind in. The R&D money would be better spent on improving their current body and lens lines, and I wholeheartedly disagree with the people that say that the EVIL area is the direction that the market is moving towards.
I'm with you there. I have a Panasonic G1 and I think it takes great pics and the EVF is very nice (and handy for manual focus), I don't enjoy using it as much as my K-7, the process seems more removed.

I also agree with Asahiflex--the K-7 is a phenomenal camera and a joy to use! Once you get all of the lenses adjusted (my experience is a little different--all of my lenses do need an adjustment) it pretty much gets out of your way and you can concentrate on things like taking pics Sure, it can be improved, but it's a great starting point.

FF would be a dream, and I'd buy one as soon as I could, but I'd keep the K-7 too.

06-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I'm with you there. I have a Panasonic G1 and I think it takes great pics and the EVF is very nice (and handy for manual focus), I don't enjoy using it as much as my K-7, the process seems more removed.
I also have the G1 and it's a nice camera indeed. I only hate the small sensor - I miss the pop and 3D that APS-C and FF can give. I agree about the viewfinder and I strongly believe this is the future (but I'd want a bit more pixels and no lag).

QuoteQuote:
FF would be a dream, and I'd buy one as soon as I could, but I'd keep the K-7 too.
Maybe Pentax wants to be different and comes with a mirrorless FF camera. I'm all for it
06-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've curbed my hunger for a companion to my DSLR with a Canon S90.

I'm sorry to say, but it's convenience and flexibility with controls have led me to use just the S90 in the past month and a half.

But to someone's point on pg.2 (sorry forgot to quote)... who mentioned that it's not about the camera but about the pictures. I totally agree, but due to hunting in low light and slow AF responsiveness, I've loss many "could have been amazing" shots. The screen also doesn't do much justice as it's hard to tell if the shot came out exactly as you wanted it, right there on the spot.

Don't get me wrong, I love my K200D and it's been my only DSLR to date, but I need something faster. For my type of street photography, you only have a few seconds to take a snap which is why my S90 is so reliable for me.

I just hope this Pentax-Hoya relationship can spit out something magnificent, much like the K-7 (great, but I wouldn't say magnificent
06-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I just hope this Pentax-Hoya relationship can spit out something magnificent, much like the K-7 (great, but I wouldn't say magnificent
One can't say that unless he/she has used the K-7 extensively. I have and it will crush the K200D in many ways. Don't look at the sensor alone! The K-7 contains so many new technology. It's not like the transition from K10D to K20D; the K-7 as a whole is a much better camera than the K20D.

06-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #38
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Between the K-x and K-7 I couldn't care less about what Pentax releases next. The K-x and K-7 are a fabulous combination. I'm more interested in what Pentax will introduce in the way of new glass.
06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
One can't say that unless he/she has used the K-7 extensively. I have and it will crush the K200D in many ways. Don't look at the sensor alone! The K-7 contains so many new technology. It's not like the transition from K10D to K20D; the K-7 as a whole is a much better camera than the K20D.
I can appreciate that, but my first impressions from competing cameras still leave me wanting more from Pentax. Personal preference I guess, but I appreciate the insight!
06-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find I'm checking DPReview.com 3-4x daily as second nature hoping that something will get released?

Is there something wrong with me? Am I alone?
Yes, there is something wrong with you.

If every click of the mouse were a click of the shutter...
06-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I should say there is at least ONE person on this forum that does know for sure the details of the new model(s)

And he's keeping VERY tight lipped other than throwing a crumb here of there.....
06-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Yes, there is something wrong with you.

If every click of the mouse were a click of the shutter...
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to check this forum (as well as others) every morning for breaking news of the fabled new model that would replace my K10D .. and then last week I got a new K-7 with kit lens for the equivilent of $330 from a very well known UK company who made a massive mistake on their Ebay site and reduced every item by approx 70% and actually honoured the prices. The box was a bit battered but everything inside was still sealed and in perfect condition.

Have since stopped looking ......... (for the moment)
06-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Relax. Still three months to go till Photokina. If Pentax will announce new DSLR(s) it will happen in September
3 months...and forget the If

Best regard...
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Don't get me wrong, I love my K200D and it's been my only DSLR to date, but I need something faster. For my type of street photography, you only have a few seconds to take a snap which is why my S90 is so reliable for me.
Zone focus with a small aperture and the only speed that will matter will be your shutter pressing speed.